The least likable Pens team ever?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I mean I wish there was some real, empirical way to quantify it, but is there ANY team that loses in some spectacular, you-can't-make-this-stuff-up fashion more often than the Pens do?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sadly, this is spot on.

You can't have an opinion that goes against what he mass negative naysayers feel without getting chastised for it, etc. Good times being a Pens fan right now.

Sure you can. I post my opinions on here without care if someone agrees with me or thinks I'm an idiot for what I wrote. And I'll engage in a discussion with anyone no matter if they agree and add to my thought, or if they argue against what I wrote.

RRP is one of the posters on here I respect the most, and he and I disagree about everything Bylsma related. Yet he doesn't go into a huffy, whiny "you're just all entitled babies that make it not fun to post here anymore!" rant every time someone disagrees with him. He sticks to his guns and explains his point of view. I might not agree with his views, but I respect the fact he actually argues his points rather than take his ball and go home.

I've found some of those who are ... optimistic ... seem to have a persecution complex. If someone criticizes their opinion, they seem to take it personally and say, "this place is unreadable now!" rather than arguing their point of view further.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I mean I wish there was some real, empirical way to quantify it, but is there ANY team that loses in some spectacular, you-can't-make-this-stuff-up fashion more often than the Pens do?

I wish there was too... maybe we could try to keep our own stats as a board. Count up the number of times the Pens play and lose like that... something.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I wish there was too... maybe we could try to keep our own stats as a board. Count up the number of times the Pens play and lose like that... something.

This was like the Sharks game, where I'm watching and I'm actually thinking out loud: "I don't understand what the **** just happened"

It happens, way, way too often.

I honestly can't remember the last time they lost and I said to myself, "Aw man, the boys really deserved this one."

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Or somebody who doesn't spend all his time on this board.

The arrogance around here is astounding. If you're not super pessimistic about this team, you must not be watching!

Not my fault you don't see a pattern happening like a lot of people do. This team has big problems and if you think everything is going to be ok you are the arrogant one by being a blind homer. It's rather simple, unsure why people keep refusing to see it?

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Sure you can. I post my opinions on here without care if someone agrees with me or thinks I'm an idiot for what I wrote. And I'll engage in a discussion with anyone no matter if they agree and add to my thought, or if they argue against what I wrote.

RRP is one of the posters on here I respect the most, and he and I disagree about everything Bylsma related. Yet he doesn't go into a huffy, whiny "you're just all entitled babies that make it not fun to post here anymore!" rant every time someone disagrees with him. He sticks to his guns and explains his point of view. I might not agree with his views, but I respect the fact he actually argues his points rather than take his ball and go home.

I've found some of those who are ... optimistic ... seem to have a persecution complex. If someone criticizes their opinion, they seem to take it personally and say, "this place is unreadable now!" rather than arguing their point of view further.

I strangely like RRP too for the same reasons. :laugh:

There are some things we agree on, and a lot of things we disagree on. At the end of the day though, I know he loves this team as much as myself or the rest of us on here. This is a place for discussion, not like you said, a bunch of whiners that take time out of their day to tell the rest of us how much we whine all the time and we are spoiled, etc.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
This was like the Sharks game, where I'm watching and I'm actually thinking out loud: "I don't understand what the **** just happened"

It happens, way, way too often.

I honestly can't remember the last time they lost and I said to myself, "Aw man, the boys really deserved this one."

Seriously.

We definitely need to keep our own stats on this stuff, because I can't remember that ever happening in the recent past either.

Include turnovers, like Orpik who constantly just throws the puck up the boards to the opposing team. I don't think that is recorded as a turnover if I'm thinking correctly, or maybe it is, but I'd rather we keep track of it.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
This place is unreadable... but its only because its whining about the same things.

This is directly related to the pens being almost unwatchable now... because they have refused to change.

Message boards about sports in general are fillled with criticisms and whining.... its just usually they move to other topics because the team addresses one problem and a new one opens up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Excellent post, Kidney.

I don't see how complaining about complaining solves anything. RRP is a great example. Provide counters with substance and clarity. Ignore the obvious antagonistic nonsense. Change people's minds.

I disagree with him about lots of stuff. Most stuff, these days. But he's one of the best posters here. And he's even changed my mind about some things. Or at least drastically softened my stance.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This place is unreadable... but its only because its whining about the same things.

This is directly related to the pens being almost unwatchable now... because they have refused to change.

Message boards about sports in general are fillled with criticisms and whining.... its just usually they move to other topics because the team addresses one problem and a new one opens up.

Suggest a more appropriate topic to discuss.

Now watch this and suggest one:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The Constantine Penguins were even more difficult to like, by and large (I can go down the two lineups, man by man, explaining why those guys were less sympathetic than these guys), but TC's not wrong that, even when they win (and they have won a lot this year), the current team is more difficult to watch than any team since, if not Constantine, then at least Kehoe.

The Edzo Penguins sucked, but it wasn't for a lack of doing everything they possibly could to change that. They also had a real upbeat attitude. Like, they could be down 9-0 and a lot of them would be busting ass like it was game 7 of the finals.

I found them a strangely enjoyable team. Like an Island of misfit toys or something. Fata had million dollar wheels, a good shot and a $.02 brain. Koltzov was a dude that could skate incredibly fast for a big guy, but didn't have good enough hands to dig a grave (etc etc).

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
i guess that could be true if you think dynasties are 2 cups in 4 years. if they win again this year, id definitely start to have that conversation though.

In a salary cap world where the League purposely creates a system to create parity? It's as close to a dynasty as you'll get.

If I'm a 'Hawks fan, I'm feeling really damned good.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
I liked 04 better.

I had no expectations then. No major disappointment.

Maybe it's inaccurate nostalgia, maybe it was the "us against the world" mentality as a fan....but this team is just harder to watch.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
In a salary cap world where the League purposely creates a system to create parity? It's as close to a dynasty as you'll get.

If I'm a 'Hawks fan, I'm feeling really damned good.

oh no doubt, what chicago has done has been very impressive. they also had a lot better luck with injuries to toews/kane.

i guess for me the definition of dynasty doesnt change with the salary cap, but i certainly agree that its a hindrance to becoming one.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Chicago makes it back to the finals, Id call them a dynasty. Hell, JQ is the only coach to have two rings post lockout. They're the best of this era.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Chicago is as close to a salary cap dynasty as you're likely to see. That team got dismantled after they won the Cup in 2010 because of cap constraints, but they fixed their problems to get back to being a juggernaut. Us? "Nah, it's fine. Just stay the course. It'll eventually work again, I think..."

We're never going to see a true dynasty like the Oilers or Isles again, but the Hawks are definitely the closest you can get in a cap era, I think.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I liked 04 better.

I had no expectations then. No major disappointment.

Maybe it's inaccurate nostalgia, maybe it was the "us against the world" mentality as a fan....but this team is just harder to watch.

It's all attitude. This organization's attitude, quite frankly, stinks.

From Mario and his "Moral Imperative", Shero's bizarre hoarding of defensemen (even useless ones like Orpik and Scuderi), and Smugbylsma.jpg himself ('nuff said), the Penguins stubbornly cling to a vision that they can quite plainly see isn't working, just because they WANT it to work.

The X-Gen Pens may have been terrible, but they didn't have such a turn-off attitude.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What a disastrous series. How that never inspired large-scale changes around this organization is a completely baffling.

The problem is that nothing seems to have changed.

I few names on the jerseys, but overall it is 2012 over and over and over.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Chicago is as close to a salary cap dynasty as you're likely to see. That team got dismantled after they won the Cup in 2010 because of cap constraints, but they fixed their problems to get back to being a juggernaut. Us? "Nah, it's fine. Just stay the course. It'll eventually work again, I think..."

Chicago cut some pieces loose due to cap constraints after their 2010 Cup win, but what Bowman did was keep the key guys. He "cut the fat" so to speak, while keeping the core intact.

What that proves is it's easier to replace the Byfugliens, the Versteegs (who he ironically re-acquired), the Sopels, etc. So you use whatever money you do have available on guys who are impact players, not guys who can easily be replaced.

It's a lesson that Shero doesn't seem to have learned, with his insistence on keeping guys like Dupuis, Orpik, and Adams, as though those guys are core guys rather than complimentary pieces.

That's why I keep harping on the fact that whenever someone argues "you can't expect to have Chicago's depth when you pay Sid and Geno as much as the Pens do", I bring up the fact that Shero's wasting money on the likes of Dupuis, Orpik, Glass, Scuderi, Fleury, etc. when there are already in-house cheaper alternatives, and that money can then be spent to address any lack of depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00