The least likable Pens team ever?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I have followed the Pens since a few years before Mario. I have watched last place teams, average teams and Stanley Cup Pens squads. But never in my years have I found a team that I simply don't like to watch or root for, that is until this year. From the smugness of Bylsma and his refusal to play Iggy with Sid, my love for the Pens has died a rapid death. For the love of everything holy, I never have or never will understand how the Pens make a trade for Iggy and never play him with Sid. Other reasons why I hate this team are as follows:

Brandon Sutter- He may be one of my least favorite Pens of all time. He has the name, he has the shot, but he doesn't show any heart. Disgusting player!

Craig Adams- I thought he should have been gone back in 2010, 4 years later and the guy is still here. He can't score, he can't skate, he can't fight, he can't check, he can't stick handle. WTF? He should not be in the league and we signed him to a two year contract.

Tanner Glass- Has heart, I'll give him that. And on a different Pens team, I might actually like Tanner. But playing next to 27 makes me very, very ill at times.

Our Second line- What a mix of Pouty, Cheap, Lazy and inconsistent players. When they come to play, they make dreams a reality. But most nights, Jokinen is lollygagging, Malkin is depressed and Neal is headhunting. Blech

I hate our normal first line, it is Bylsma's wet dream. The ultimate grinding line with skill! FU BYLSMA

Orpik- FU

Scuderi- WHY Shero?? Why??? Depres, Dumoulin, Harrington and Bortuzzo are all better right now than Scud the dud. Good thing we have this guy locked up for another 3 years!

Youth are treated like trash, Vets are treated with kid gloves. From Megna to Depres, Lovejoy, Jeffery, Tangradi and Morrow. All of these kids showed potential at one point or another. But our coaches and Gm seem hell bent on destroying the confidence of any young player other than Ollie. Why???

Lastly, SOFT. This team is so SOFT. No Grit, no gravel in the gut. No guys who you would want next to you in a war. This, more than any other reason is why they have no chance to win a cup this year. And if somehow they pull out a miracle and win the cup, I won't even celebrate. I don't like this team!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That Islanders game sure killed this team. Scuderi was good pre injury, IDK WTF happened? never seen such a soff team, would make MT die on the spot. Team needs some SERIOUS changes starting with a new coach.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
It's not just you. This team for one reason or another just doesnt seem so likeable. It actually makes me look back fondly on the 03-04 Penguins squad. That team sucked but boy did it seem like they played their hearts out every night.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's not just you. This team for one reason or another just doesnt seem so likeable. It actually makes me look back fondly on the 03-04 Penguins squad. That team sucked but boy did it seem like they played their hearts out every night.

They are a family and get treated like princesses. This is a pro team, it needs to be run that way. Someone needs to light this team up. The Flyers home and home, Crosby said the team was pissed after getting whooped 4-0, what happens? they lay another goose egg. We beat the Stars the next game, then....lay another goose egg tonight. The only problem is, nobody wants to do anything or they will hurt their family members. No accountability on this team, just a day off practise to go to the mall.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
It's the absolute worst locking up the division already and having the leagues MVP.

Lets bring back Fata, Surovy, and Ric Jackman!

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's the absolute worst locking up the division already and having the leagues MVP.

Well I can't argue with your first two points but I would take Fata over Adams. And Jackman over Scuds or Orpik.

You sound like Shero at his PC last summer. "We make the playoffs, we all like each other very much, we sellout the CEC, what's the problem?"

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

Yeah, lets all remember the fuzzy highlights of Morozov flashing the Pens symbol...

Remove the drive for the '04 #1 overall, and that season looks a lot bleaker.

That team featured some of the worst trades in team history. They hired the color analyst as coach. Lemieux gave himself a pay raise to sit in the stands. Crowds were pathetic.

We wanted losses that year. It was just fun being a cult fan finding mini-heroes like Tarnstrom and Malone.

I will say that this team is easily the most unlikeable of the past five years. Rage-inducing, certainly. But, '04 is not preferable.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, lets all remember the fuzzy highlights of Morozov flashing the Pens symbol...

Remove the drive for the '04 #1 overall, and that season looks a lot bleaker.

That team featured some of the worst trades in team history. They hired the color analyst as coach. Lemieux gave himself a pay raise to sit in the stands. Crowds were pathetic.

We wanted losses that year. It was just fun being a cult fan finding mini-heroes like Tarnstrom and Malone.

I will say that this team is easily the most unlikeable of the past five years. Rage-inducing, certainly. But, '04 is not preferable.

But 2004 had the Blueline Band.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
Must be a troll post, or someone who spends all game watching his phone instead of the actual game.

Or somebody who doesn't spend all his time on this board.

The arrogance around here is astounding. If you're not super pessimistic about this team, you must not be watching!

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Big difference between being unlikeable and being bad.

People were maybe upset, and rightfully so about the financial mismanagement that led to the early 2000 teams, but the guys on the ice were loveable losers right out of a sitcom. They tried hard, but they were just really bad and none of it was their fault. What needed fixing would take years and a minor miracle, and I accepted it.

These guys? The OP is absolutely right. They have a stench of arrogance about them that's really hard to ignore, from Shero on down to Bylsma and to some of the players.

The organization acts like they are the ones with 2 Cups in 4 years, not the 'Hawks. They act like their way is the best and only way and that their plan is better than everyone else's. I'm fine with that as long as you lose with dignity, but when you look at the spectacular flameouts this team continues to have in the playoffs, what right do they have to think that way?

From DB's buffoonery, to all the veterans and star players getting preferential treatment, knowing they can make the same mistake over and over again with impunity be it through playing poorly or being undisciplined.

I mean isn't it funny how DB benches Despres and calls him out for taking a penalty for protecting his goalie against Philly, while the others can continually take retaliatory penalties with no consequence? No, you don't bench your best goal scorer, but Jesus take away ONE PP from him or put him on the second unit just to remind him who's boss.

Oh, and make no mistake. Who wants to put a buck down on one of Bort or SD sitting out the next game despite how bad Scuderi was tonight while he brought Maatta down with him?

Add to that how the organization and by extension, the media slobbers over worthless players like Glass and Adams, and my question becomes: what's there to like exactly?

And in the end, you know what I find unlikeable in every walk of life? Frauds and pretenders who sell themselves as one thing when I KNOW they're the other. That's what this team is to me.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Or somebody who doesn't spend all his time on this board.

The arrogance around here is astounding. If you're not super pessimistic about this team, you must not be watching!

You are exactly right. I don't know about being least likable team but in my 30 years of following the team this is definitely the least likable fanbase. There's no doubt about it. Got to love the comments about the players being arrogant meanwhile some fans need to take a look in the mirror as well with their constant whining. It's not the "in-thing" to ever try to be optimistic about this team anymore. It's always the *****ing and moaning even if they win. Objectivity is gone and negativity is common. The team is far from perfect and they do frustrate me at times - I'm very annoyed that DB doesn't play Megna among other things - but I can say that I will never root against a Penguins team in any way. And people wonder why other fans call us bandwagon fans? Give me a break. To even suggest a thing is pathetic and embarrassing. There are definitely Penguin fans who are hoping for an early exit in this year's playoffs so they can all give high fives to each other and say how right they were that the team wasn't going to do anything in the playoffs. They rather be right than for the team to go far in the postseason. It wouldn't look good for their massive egos. In no way am I saying certain changes don't need to be made but currently this is the team we have and they have my full support and nothing less.

Without a doubt this team has question marks heading into the postseason but do some realize how lucky we are to follow a team like this? Think about how many fans would love to trade places with us. Who the hell cares if they are likable as long as they win which they have done this year even though you wouldn't know it reading Penguin boards. Am I suppose to look at the back at the early 2000 teams and reminisce about how it was a joy watching them lose game after game but hey at least they were good guys who absolutely sucked at playing hockey? Yeah, great times those were. There's plenty to like about this team. Some people are too stubborn to see it and they never will which is a shame.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
At this point I'm watching the games for two reasons:

1. Maatta.

2. To see Crosby earn the Art Ross and Hart trophies.

I have zero aspirations for this team in the post-season. My dream scenario is that we have a new coach by the draft and Shero goes to work reshaping this team into something that actually has a spark.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
You are exactly right. I don't know about being least likable team but in my 30 years of following the team this is definitely the least likable fanbase. There's no doubt about it. Got to love the comments about the players being arrogant meanwhile some fans need to take a look in the mirror as well with their constant whining. It's not the "in-thing" to ever try to be optimistic about this team anymore. It's always the *****ing and moaning even if they win. Objectivity is gone and negativity is common. The team is far from perfect and they do frustrate me at times - I'm very annoyed that DB doesn't play Megna among other things - but I can say that I will never root against a Penguins team in any way. And people wonder why other fans call us bandwagon fans? Give me a break. To even suggest a thing is pathetic and embarrassing. There are definitely Penguin fans who are hoping for an early exit in this year's playoffs so they can all give high fives to each other and say how right they were that the team wasn't going to do anything in the playoffs. They rather be right than for the team to go far in the postseason. It wouldn't look good for their massive egos. In no way am I saying certain changes don't need to be made but currently this is the team we have and they have my full support and nothing less.

Without a doubt this team has question marks heading into the postseason but do some realize how lucky we are to follow a team like this? Think about how many fans would love to trade places with us. Who the hell cares if they are likable as long as they win which they have done this year even though you wouldn't know it reading Penguin boards. Am I suppose to look at the back at the early 2000 teams and reminisce about how it was a joy watching them lose game after game but hey at least they were good guys who absolutely sucked at playing hockey? Yeah, great times those were. There's plenty to like about this team. Some people are too stubborn to see it and they never will which is a shame.

This post is spot on.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Sadly, this is spot on.

You can't have an opinion that goes against what he mass negative naysayers feel without getting chastised for it, etc. Good times being a Pens fan right now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The funny thing is, only one or two moves and everything on Op's list would possibly be corrected.

That is Shero/Bylsma. They've built the mess you see today. Watching problem areas in the lineup year after year and refusing to correct them. The result being an arrogant undisciplined hockey team with several holes in it's roster that let's down the fan base again and again.

The one person i really hope is watching this season closely is Mario and i think he is. I know he loves player friendly coaches like DB but theres no way he's gonna accept the product on the ice. Coaches are hired to be fired and ones like DB just last a little longer cuz the players will usually back them, even if they don't see how misguided they are.

If it were me, this team could reach the SCF and put forth an effort like the ECF vs Boston last year and i'm still firing both Shero/Bylsma.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013

I concur.

Although I did recently peek in the Blackhawks board and they definitely have similar comments about their team (someone non-sarcastically complained that they were disgusted that the team would only get 110 points this season). And I'm guessing if I looked into other successful team boards there would be posts of a similar ilk...

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Where the team is actually at doesn't have a lot to do with how happy most people are, it has more to do with which direction the team is going. It's more fun to be a fan of a terrible team that's trending upward than it is to be a fan of a great team on the decline. I wouldn't say the Pens are in decline necessarily, they've just been stumbling around in circles. After awhile the cycle wears your enthusiasm down no matter how many points and flashy wins the team accumulates in the regular season.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT

:handclap:

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

Amazing post, agree fully with it :yo:

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
After the "all-in" fiasco and the last draft and free agency period, the extensions of Dupuis and Bylsma I just lost my desire to go out of my way to view the games. I used to watch every one, whether that was paying for a service to subscribe to, or digging for a grainy online feed all so I could continuously monitor the team. Now I just don't care. I feel like a fan in hibernation, ready to come out when the time is right. I don't care about if the team is winning or not, I am not a bandwagon fan. I was a fan of the Pirates during all their losing. What I care is the direction of the team and the way they're managed. I absolutely despise the way the Penguins are managed and it's to the point where it has caused me to to just plain not like the team anymore.

I'll have a long wait because after they fail again this playoffs it'll be the same old same old in the offseason as things will be rinsed and repeated. I guess at least this season our GM didnt freaking sell every future chip he had in a misguided effort.

Fire Shero*

Youth are treated like trash, Vets are treated with kid gloves. From Megna to Depres, Lovejoy, Jeffery, Tangradi and Morrow. All of these kids showed potential at one point or another. But our coaches and Gm seem hell bent on destroying the confidence of any young player other than Ollie. Why???

I agreed with everything you said. But let's not pretend that all of these young guys turned into good players after the pens dumped them, except Lovejoy.

It's sad that we even have had hopes for these idiots. We shouldn't have to settle for these **** prospects.

Maybe if ******* could draft any respectable forward, we wouldn't have to watch these awful prospects that never develop into a top 9 player.

Mario is an idiot. Seriously. He is a damn fool for letting Shero continue to ruin this team more and more every year.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

:handclap:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I've watched this team religiously since the mid 80s. I don't know if it's my least favorite team, but this is the first year since the lockout that games aren't 'must see TV' for me.

I like hockey because it's a physical sport. I like the contact, toughness, intimidation, etc as much as the skill aspect, because I think they're both important to be a great team. This team is stocked with players that are none of the above. It just isn't enjoyable to watch scrubs like Adams, Orpik, Sutter, all the rotating 5'9" twerps, etc, etc.

But the main reason I find this team unlikable is the absolute arrogance of the entire organization. Torts was 100% right. From Mario's stupid moral vision of the league, Shero expecting every FA to want to play here, a complete buffoon for a coach, the team acting like 6 year old girls when things don't go their way, etc, etc, etc. It's just sad to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad