The least likable Pens team ever?

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
To those who hate DB, of course they think he's arrogant or incompetent. When a coach is unsure of himself and his coaching the entire team falls apart. His ways are what got the 2011 Pens to the playoffs without Sid and Geno. It's also what gave them a 15 point lead in their division despite 400+ man games lost to injury.

On the other hand, it is concerning that his team often underperform in the playoffs. Not that they played badly in 2010 vs Montreal or 2011 vs Tampa. They were easily the better team in both series. People only remember losses, not how you lost.

With that said, even though I'm a DB and Shero supporter (more so Shero than DB), if they underperform in these playoffs it's time for a change.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
living in Toronto, the difference between, say, the Maple Leafs coverage and that of the Penguins is a shocking contrast.

I'm not saying the Toronto media is 1) the norm or 2) the right way to go, but there needs to be a middle ground between the two.

Growing up in Pittsburgh, I can tell you that the Pittsburgh media has always been a mouthpiece for the cities organizations. Their whole purpose it seems is always to silence any discontent among the fans. And in turn, they are treated as VIP's to all local team events.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
People on these boards, not shockingly, overrate every prospect the Penguins have. Bortuzzo is not a NHL calibre defenceman right now, and should not be in any playoff lineup.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
So, Bylsma's track record of success with injuries is fine when we constantly crash and burn in spectacular fashion when we're healthy? His coaching approach is what breeds success--during the regular season--while missing lots of key parts for a significant amount of time. Nobody can argue Bylsma's ability to get blood from a stone with AHL-level lineups. That being said, his coaching approach is also the reason we haven't done anything of note for the past five years. It's "concerning" when we underform? Understatement of the year. :laugh:

We lost to Montreal because we expected to win. Partly on the players, for sure, but is it not the coach's job to make damn sure his team is ready to play to the best of their ability every night? The Pens got caught looking past Montreal, which puzzles me because they had just upset Washington. Sure, Halak was on fire, but we got out-hustled, out-muscled (by a far smaller, softer team), and embarrassed by a team we should have walked over.

The Tampa series was the least of all evils for me. We were missing Sid and Geno, and you just can't expect to win with those two out. Like it or not, this team lives and dies by Sid and Geno. That being said, we had a 3-1 lead in that series. It's still pretty damn unacceptable to blow that sort of advantage, injuries be damned. It's the series I blame Bylsma the least for, but it's still a joke to lose a 3-1 series lead come playoff time. We went completely passive, and expected to cruise to that 4th win. Tampa adjusted, and never quit.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
I honestly can't see how this team is the least likeable team, especially to fans who watched them before Mario, and from 2002-2004. THOSE TEAMS ABSOLUTELY SUCKED, VERY BAD! Yet here we are, 1st in the division, a constant playoff team but yet you guys say "least likeable"

That's not what I was trying to imply. I certainly didn't enjoy the dark "Generation X" days either, but for all those teams' lack of talent, they laid it all on the line and played their hearts out. They didnt have any talent but still played liked they gave a ****, and for that, yes, they were likeable.

This team's smug, arrogant, entitled attitude keeps biting them in the ass year in and year out and yet they still dont seem to learn. Talented? Yes. Gives a ****? No.

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
People on these boards, not shockingly, overrate every prospect the Penguins have. Bortuzzo is not a NHL calibre defenceman right now, and should not be in any playoff lineup.

And some people, not shockingly, underrate them to sound like the bastion of reason so they can think of themselves smarter than the unwashed masses.

Fire Shero*

I've never dislike any other coach/player/GM half as much as I hate Shero.

His incompetence single handedly ruins the team for me. He literally does nothing right anymore. In fact, he seems to make more blunders as the years go by.

How you can stand by a guy who signed Jeffrey, D'ags, Kobasew, Scuder, Dupuis, Adams this summer? We don't have cap move because Shero wasted what little we did have on this motley crew.

Has a GM ever signed 3 players that were bought out a couple of months later?

But yet we rarely criticize him for signing such waste of space players.

The free agent failures, the draft blunders, the loyalty to ****** players and vets .

His mistakes have greatly outweigh his contributions to the team.

Besides Maataa and Vokoun, he's been a terrible GM the past 3 years.

We are wasting season after season with him as GM.

CHLLL Penguin

Nov 14, 2011
You are exactly right. I don't know about being least likable team but in my 30 years of following the team this is definitely the least likable fanbase. There's no doubt about it. Got to love the comments about the players being arrogant meanwhile some fans need to take a look in the mirror as well with their constant whining. It's not the "in-thing" to ever try to be optimistic about this team anymore. It's always the *****ing and moaning even if they win. Objectivity is gone and negativity is common. The team is far from perfect and they do frustrate me at times - I'm very annoyed that DB doesn't play Megna among other things - but I can say that I will never root against a Penguins team in any way. And people wonder why other fans call us bandwagon fans? Give me a break. To even suggest a thing is pathetic and embarrassing. There are definitely Penguin fans who are hoping for an early exit in this year's playoffs so they can all give high fives to each other and say how right they were that the team wasn't going to do anything in the playoffs. They rather be right than for the team to go far in the postseason. It wouldn't look good for their massive egos. In no way am I saying certain changes don't need to be made but currently this is the team we have and they have my full support and nothing less.

Without a doubt this team has question marks heading into the postseason but do some realize how lucky we are to follow a team like this? Think about how many fans would love to trade places with us. Who the hell cares if they are likable as long as they win which they have done this year even though you wouldn't know it reading Penguin boards. Am I suppose to look at the back at the early 2000 teams and reminisce about how it was a joy watching them lose game after game but hey at least they were good guys who absolutely sucked at playing hockey? Yeah, great times those were. There's plenty to like about this team. Some people are too stubborn to see it and they never will which is a shame.

Agree. I think most of the people that post the negative stuff here post all the time on this site, thats why you see it so much. I'd assume alot of the lurkers here would agree with you.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The funny thing is, only one or two moves and everything on Op's list would possibly be corrected.

That is Shero/Bylsma. They've built the mess you see today. Watching problem areas in the lineup year after year and refusing to correct them. The result being an arrogant undisciplined hockey team with several holes in it's roster that let's down the fan base again and again.

The one person i really hope is watching this season closely is Mario and i think he is. I know he loves player friendly coaches like DB but theres no way he's gonna accept the product on the ice. Coaches are hired to be fired and ones like DB just last a little longer cuz the players will usually back them, even if they don't see how misguided they are.

If it were me, this team could reach the SCF and put forth an effort like the ECF vs Boston last year and i'm still firing both Shero/Bylsma.

This is what pisses me off the most about this team. It is very close to being a serious contender every year, but Shero and DB have handicapped them.

It sickens me to think that these two morons are wasting Sid and Geno's careers.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
It boggles my mind how people can watch this team the last five seasons, see how nothing has changed and are expecting different results this postseason.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
It boggles my mind how people can watch this team the last five seasons, see how nothing has changed and are expecting different results this postseason.

I don't see too many on here planning to attend the Cup Parade but some just hold out a tiny glimmer of hope that Bylsma can't be as dumb as he seems.:(

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
an interesting question is posed:

Would you rather be a fan of a team with no talent and no hope, and therefore no expecations?

Or

A team with tons of talent, and a sucky mix of expectations of having the two best players in the world but also little hope of doing well?

IMO, you have to tweak the "no hope" part of the 1st option, because there is always hope you suck bad enough at the right time to draft the guy who will turn your franchise around.

Even with that tweak I go with option 2 because it's much easier to fix management/coaching than it is to get the two best players in the world.

Hell, CHI has less talented stars than the Pens but MUCH better management and coaching and they're a modern day dynasty. There is no reason that the Pens couldn't be better than CHI.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Just going to throw this out there, I consider myself to be somewhat of an outsider being from Australia but ha e follofuzzy feeling nothing will chsbgrhe team since 96, I love the Pittsburgh penguins. When they were terrible I still cheered for them - I know people get passionate on these boards because they love this team , but the reality is that we only Make up a small fraction of the people who cheer for the pens and wear the passion like a badge.

The sad fact is that that 95% of the people who go to consol arena are sheep and will hail disco Dan and ray sheep as the best thing since sliced bread because chances are for that night they are going to go home happy with a regulation Win against a weak metro division team. Crosby will get 3 points against the sens, pens will snap a 2 game losing streak against a tougher opponent, Disco Dan gets another Way in the win column and everyone goes home happy until playoffs start. Thenwe get exposed . But for those 40 odd games at consol everyone gets what they want.

Bottom line is as long as those malkin in and Crosby jerseys go out the door, revenue goes up and the home crowd gets a fuzzy feeling, world keeps on spinning.

This team is just like the country club from a years ago. Time to put my beer down

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
You are exactly right. I don't know about being least likable team but in my 30 years of following the team this is definitely the least likable fanbase. There's no doubt about it. Got to love the comments about the players being arrogant meanwhile some fans need to take a look in the mirror as well with their constant whining. It's not the "in-thing" to ever try to be optimistic about this team anymore. It's always the *****ing and moaning even if they win. Objectivity is gone and negativity is common. The team is far from perfect and they do frustrate me at times - I'm very annoyed that DB doesn't play Megna among other things - but I can say that I will never root against a Penguins team in any way. And people wonder why other fans call us bandwagon fans? Give me a break. To even suggest a thing is pathetic and embarrassing. There are definitely Penguin fans who are hoping for an early exit in this year's playoffs so they can all give high fives to each other and say how right they were that the team wasn't going to do anything in the playoffs. They rather be right than for the team to go far in the postseason. It wouldn't look good for their massive egos. In no way am I saying certain changes don't need to be made but currently this is the team we have and they have my full support and nothing less.

Without a doubt this team has question marks heading into the postseason but do some realize how lucky we are to follow a team like this? Think about how many fans would love to trade places with us. Who the hell cares if they are likable as long as they win which they have done this year even though you wouldn't know it reading Penguin boards. Am I suppose to look at the back at the early 2000 teams and reminisce about how it was a joy watching them lose game after game but hey at least they were good guys who absolutely sucked at playing hockey? Yeah, great times those were. There's plenty to like about this team. Some people are too stubborn to see it and they never will which is a shame.

To quote the famous Nick Tortelli: "I see this is going to take a while..."

You actually think that people are being negative because they want to be one of the cool kids? People are negative because they've seen the same pattern over and over and over again from this team and its coaching staff.

I don't enjoy playing with semantics, but there's nothing "arrogant" about our fan base. Our fan base, at least the hardcore types who understand what they're watching have no business being arrogant, because there's nothing to be arrogant about when it comes to this team. Arrogant fans are Bruins fans for example, and you know what? They have every right to be. They're a well oiled machine.

And nobody's hoping for a flameout. What we're hoping for is that IF we lose, that it better be in some embarrassing fashion like the last couple of years so it finally prompts some sort of change. If you enjoy watching this team go around in circles for 4 years while EVERYONE around them improved and more importantly, EVOLVED, then YOU are the fair weather fan that everyone makes fun of, not us.

I have no problem with positivity. What I do have a problem with is positivity for the sake of it. If you're going to come here and start telling us we're too negative, then fine, but please enlighten is as to why we should have some hope. When we're negative, we list the reasons as to why. You have NOTHING to base your false positivity on and what's worse, that seems to be the exact same why the organization thinks. "We're the Penguins, and we're the example to follow", despite embarrassment after embarrassment come spring.

And spare us with the "How many fans would want to trade places with us..." nonsense. That's another foolish, new agey way of thinking along with "Oh, if we just close our eyes and wait, something good will happen" I look at Vancouver, and how stunningly quick their window closed after their 2011 Final appearance, and I shudder to think at how all of a sudden, Geno and Sid are closer to 30 than they are 20. Half a decade has passed since they've come close to sniffing another Cup Final, and I see no end to that in sight as long as this organization continues to believe they're better than everyone else. THAT is what makes them unlikeable.

Here's my most favorite Louie C.K. quote ever:

"You have to be stupid. That’s what optimistic means, you know? It means stupid. An optimist is somebody who goes, “Hey, maybe something nice will happen.†Why the **** would anything nice happen?"

Fire Shero*

IMO, you have to tweak the "no hope" part of the 1st option, because there is always hope you suck bad enough at the right time to draft the guy who will turn your franchise around.

Even with that tweak I go with option 2 because it's much easier to fix management/coaching than it is to get the two best players in the world.

Hell, CHI has less talented stars than the Pens but MUCH better management and coaching and they're a modern day dynasty. There is no reason that the Pens couldn't be better than CHI.

We are nowhere near Chicago talent wise.

Our two best players are better than their 2 players. But once you start to dig deeper, they blow us out of the water.

Letang/Martin are not in the same league as Duncan / Keith.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sadly, this is spot on.

You can't have an opinion that goes against what he mass negative naysayers feel without getting chastised for it, etc. Good times being a Pens fan right now.

Why can't you?

I've never cared what others say about my opinion on here. As long as you can back up what you feel, I don't get the whining about people chastising you.

People say more outrageous **** on msg boards than DB and the Pens being capable of winning a cup. I'm not sure why there are people in this thread who act all afraid to be positive. It's a msg board, seriously.

Someone might post an image or mean words trying to make you look stupid and say your opinion is dumb... Ohs nos.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
We are nowhere near Chicago talent wise.

Our two best players are better than their 2 players. But once you start to dig deeper, they blow us out of the water.

Letang/Martin are not in the same league as Duncan / Keith.

Of course CHI has much more depth and talent right now, because Shero ****ed it up.

My point was that Shero had Sid and Geno and CHI had Toews and Kane to build from. CHI built a dynasty and Shero built a country club.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Why can't you?

I've never cared what others say about my opinion on here. As long as you can back up what you feel, I don't get the whining about people chastising you.

People say more outrageous **** on msg boards than DB and the Pens being capable of winning a cup. I'm not sure why there are people in this thread who act all afraid to be positive. It's a msg board, seriously.

Someone might post an image or mean words trying to make you look stupid and say your opinion is dumb... Ohs nos.

That's why they get chastised. Their opinion is backed up by nothing but:

nothing+to+see+here.jpg

Fire Shero*

Of course CHI has much more depth and talent right now, because Shero ****ed it up.

My point was that Shero had Sid and Geno and CHI had Toews and Kane to build from. CHI built a dynasty and Shero built a country club.

My bad. I misunderstood you. I completely agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad