The Leafs will be the team that ends Canada’s cup drought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
giphy.gif

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Leafs fan by any stretch of the imagination. I do like their team though, and despite an annoying as hell fan base online they are quite loyal and are a grade A organization. Okay, yuck, moving on.

This team is trending in the right direction, and yes they have next to no defensive depth but barring injuries this team has what it takes to go all the way in the East this year. The Jets, Flames,Oilers, Habs, Canucks and Sens are not going to do it anytime soon. And the Leafs are Canada’s best bet at ending this drought, and I wager it’ll happen either this year or next.

Let’s take a look at the key pieces on their roster:
Matthews- elite #1C
Tavares- elite #1C
Marner- elite #1RW
Reilly- Bonafide #1D
Andersen- elite #1G
Nylander- bonafide top 6 player with PPG potential.

Key depth pieces:
Kapanen, Johnsson,Barrie, Muzzin, Kerfoot are all nice complimentary pieces. IMO they need a big deadline deal if possible to solidify a deep run as a legitimate threat. Something like Gaborik to the Kings in 2014, or in the Leafs case a gritty d-man to round out their top 6.

Barring injuries, the pieces are all there for a deep cup run within the next few years during their window. I think if they get past Boston the past couple years ( AKA Kadri doesn’t self destruct) they have at least a ECF appearance by now.

That team has a hell of a core, and again, if they all stay healthy they’re probably going to be the ones to end Canada’s drought.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention Sheldon Keene as COACH. This guy has won literally everywhere he has coached, not a guaranteed success but he’s done really well there so far.

200.webp

Reactions: shmotz

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Not gonna quote you because that’s too much to delete to get to your edit, but Keefe has only won on two levels. And I don’t put any stock in to junior B championships. If he’s learned anything since junior A (aka coaching the Greyhounds) then great. Leafs have a chance. However all of his teams have been uber-skilled and he hasn’t had a chance to do his coaching skills at the highest level until this year.

Also let’s all practice Santeria so the Leafs never win. This place will be insufferable then.

Calder Cup with the Marlies is decent

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
The Leafs have quietly become the best team in the NHL as of late, after causing many to question whether they'll even make the playoffs.

Some improvements are needed for a SCF appearance but they're not far off.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
and his OHL team kept walking into McDavid so you can't really expect the Soo to beat McDavid/Strome/Debrincat

The Soo was a better team that year. The problem was Keefe. No line matching or switching. Kris Knoblauch knew when Erie was getting outplayed. Keefe didn’t. Of course, the Soo repeated it with Bannister and now with Dean.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It would be amazing for the league if the Leafs won.

All teams will then start showing a higher emphasis on skill and make the product so much better.

Reactions: DarylO and Palio

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Leafs fan by any stretch of the imagination. I do like their team though, and despite an annoying as hell fan base online they are quite loyal and are a grade A organization. Okay, yuck, moving on.

This team is trending in the right direction, and yes they have next to no defensive depth but barring injuries this team has what it takes to go all the way in the East this year. The Jets, Flames,Oilers, Habs, Canucks and Sens are not going to do it anytime soon. And the Leafs are Canada’s best bet at ending this drought, and I wager it’ll happen either this year or next.

Matthews- elite #1C
Tavares- elite #1C
Marner- elite #1RW
Reilly- Bonafide #1D
Andersen- elite #1G

Key depth pieces:
Kapanen, Johnsson,Barrie, Muzzin, Kerfoot are all nice complimentary pieces. IMO they need a big deadline deal if possible to solidify a deep run as a legitimate threat. Something like Gaborik to the Kings in 2014, or in the Leafs case a gritty d-man to round out their top 6.

Barring injuries, the pieces are all there for a deep cup run within the next few years during their window. I think if they get past Boston the past couple years ( AKA Kadri doesn’t self destruct) they have at least a ECF appearance by now.

That team has a hell of a core, and again, if they all stay healthy they’re probably going to be the ones to end Canada’s drought.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention Sheldon Keene as COACH. This guy has won literally everywhere he has coached, not a guaranteed success but he’s done really well there so far.

That's the problem, right there. The entire Leafs core is overrated by the market they play in. None of their core players have done anything besides put up high regular season point totals. That's cool until you realize that no one cares about that. An overtime winning goal in a playoff game is worth about 10 regular season points.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Matthews- elite #1C
Tavares- elite #1C
Marner- elite #1RW
Reilly- Bonafide #1D
Andersen- elite #1G

Key depth pieces:

A guy like David Savard or Adam Larsson or Josh Manson or Jeff Petry would be big

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
The really interesting question is if the Leafs are the team to end Canada's Cup drought, will any of the current Leafs be on the roster when/if it happens?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Amazing. In November the sky was falling and now they’re back to being the greatest team ever assembled and well on their way to the cup. Sheldon Keefe is the greatest coach to ever live!!!

Reactions: Peanut Butter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad