The Leafs will be the team that ends Canada’s cup drought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Leafs fan by any stretch of the imagination. I do like their team though, and despite an annoying as hell fan base online they are quite loyal and are a grade A organization. Okay, yuck, moving on.

This team is trending in the right direction, and yes they have next to no defensive depth but barring injuries this team has what it takes to go all the way in the East this year. The Jets, Flames,Oilers, Habs, Canucks and Sens are not going to do it anytime soon. And the Leafs are Canada’s best bet at ending this drought, and I wager it’ll happen either this year or next.

Let’s take a look at the key pieces on their roster:
Matthews- elite #1C
Tavares- elite #1C
Marner- elite #1RW
Reilly- Bonafide #1D
Andersen- elite #1G
Nylander- bonafide top 6 player with PPG potential.

Key depth pieces:
Kapanen, Johnsson,Barrie, Muzzin, Kerfoot are all nice complimentary pieces. IMO they need a big deadline deal if possible to solidify a deep run as a legitimate threat. Something like Gaborik to the Kings in 2014, or in the Leafs case a gritty d-man to round out their top 6.

Barring injuries, the pieces are all there for a deep cup run within the next few years during their window. I think if they get past Boston the past couple years ( AKA Kadri doesn’t self destruct) they have at least a ECF appearance by now.

That team has a hell of a core, and again, if they all stay healthy they’re probably going to be the ones to end Canada’s drought.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention Sheldon Keene as COACH. This guy has won literally everywhere he has coached, not a guaranteed success but he’s done really well there so far.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Ridiculous HC record

Attachments

• 16A9EFBE-F346-4502-9734-3D9F8B5D0704.jpeg
    16A9EFBE-F346-4502-9734-3D9F8B5D0704.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Maybe, but will a Canadian team win it in the 2020's or not is the real question.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sure, why not?

They have as good a chance to be the team to end the drought as the Canucks did at the start of last decade.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They have a good team, maybe even a great one. Lots of teams are good when things are going their way. It's the truly great ones that are good even when things aren't. Will be paying attention closely when they hit the inevitable rough patch on how they respond to it.

Last edited:

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
As good of a chance as any I suppose. Certainly more likely than some of the rebuilding teams.

In a 31 team league there are no guarantees. The Leafs could be called a contender for the next several years but still get beaten by better teams and miss their window.

You could also say a team like Vancouver who has key pieces in place and a much more flexible cap situation as another Canadian team that looks to be a threat, but maybe a little further behind.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
the thing that makes it a decent possibility in the next few years is the prospects

sandin, liljegren and robertson have been trending very very high... all positions of need for the team

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Not gonna quote you because that’s too much to delete to get to your edit, but Keefe has only won on two levels. And I don’t put any stock in to junior B championships. If he’s learned anything since junior A (aka coaching the Greyhounds) then great. Leafs have a chance. However all of his teams have been uber-skilled and he hasn’t had a chance to do his coaching skills at the highest level until this year.

Also let’s all practice Santeria so the Leafs never win. This place will be insufferable then.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Leafs fan by any stretch of the imagination. I do like their team though, and despite an annoying as hell fan base online they are quite loyal and are a grade A organization. Okay, yuck, moving on.

This team is trending in the right direction, and yes they have next to no defensive depth but barring injuries this team has what it takes to go all the way in the East this year. The Jets, Flames,Oilers, Habs, Canucks and Sens are not going to do it anytime soon. And the Leafs are Canada’s best bet at ending this drought, and I wager it’ll happen either this year or next.

Let’s take a look at the key pieces on their roster:
Matthews- elite #1C
Tavares- elite #1C
Marner- elite #1RW
Reilly- Bonafide #1D
Andersen- elite #1G
Nylander- bonafide top 6 player with PPG potential.

Key depth pieces:
Kapanen, Johnsson,Barrie, Muzzin, Kerfoot are all nice complimentary pieces. IMO they need a big deadline deal if possible to solidify a deep run as a legitimate threat. Something like Gaborik to the Kings in 2014, or in the Leafs case a gritty d-man to round out their top 6.

Barring injuries, the pieces are all there for a deep cup run within the next few years during their window. I think if they get past Boston the past couple years ( AKA Kadri doesn’t self destruct) they have at least a ECF appearance by now.

That team has a hell of a core, and again, if they all stay healthy they’re probably going to be the ones to end Canada’s drought.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention Sheldon Keene as COACH. This guy has won literally everywhere he has coached, not a guaranteed success but he’s done really well there so far.
giphy.gif

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The Leafs are a fantastic team that has all the pieces but the playoffs is a completely different animal.

Keefe has done wonderful things with the team so far but it all comes down to how they play when the game gives you zero room to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->