The Leafs Have Improved!!!

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
LOL, no they haven't, they traded skill for toughness. Other teams below them have improved, they could be a bottom 5 team right now, especially with our head coach.

Kulemin, Bolland, McClemment, Gunnarsson Gleason, Raymond, out.

Frattin, Kontriola, Santorelli, Robidas, Polak, Komarov in.

The phase "Shifting chairs on the titanic" comes to mind.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
LOL, no they haven't, they traded skill for toughness. Other teams below them have improved, they could be a bottom 5 team right now, especially with our head coach.

Kulemin, Bolland, McClemment, Gunnarsson Gleason D'Aimgo out.

Frattin, Kontriola, Santorelli, Robidas, Polak, Komarov in.

The phase "Shifting chairs on the titanic" comes to mind.

Perfect post.

If you believe that the problem with the Leafs last year was:

Kulemin, Bolland, McClement, and a few assistant coaches, then congratulations - this team has improved.

Most sane people should be able to identify that the problems ran far deeper than that.

Mediocrity at it's finest. Another year of no playoffs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd say the reason we played so poorly last season is because of the lack of toughness, and we had "too much skill".

Polak, Robidas and Granberg will bring something to our D that we have lacked, for the LONGEST time. That is being hard to play against. All three guys are guys that will do whatever it takes to block shots, and clear the front of the net. It's something we haven't had on all three pairings in a while.

We missed Komarov dearly. I don't care what the Grabo fans say, Komarov was the biggest lose from last off-season and the team just didn't seem right without him.

Personally, I think we are a better team right now, than we were in April. I'm not saying we are cup contenders, or we will be in the playoffs 100%, I'm just saying people are judging this team too harshly due to how the season ended (and, hey, don't blame anyone) and things aren't as bad as the majority of the posters are making it seem.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
Maybe shanahan knows we suck and just wants to see things play out during the season so that he can make bigger trades if certain guys ie. Phaneuf, raise their trade value, and then tank for another blue chipper.

Jani8

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I can't believe that people are actually arguing that Leafs have gotten better:shakehead

There's a f***ing reason Bolland/Kulemin/Raymond got paid and "the better players" Leafs signed did not.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I'd say the reason we played so poorly last season is because of the lack of toughness, and we had "too much skill".

Polak, Robidas and Granberg will bring something to our D that we have lacked, for the LONGEST time. That is being hard to play against. All three guys are guys that will do whatever it takes to block shots, and clear the front of the net. It's something we haven't had on all three pairings in a while.

We missed Komarov dearly. I don't care what the Grabo fans say, Komarov was the biggest lose from last off-season and the team just didn't seem right without him.

Personally, I think we are a better team right now, than we were in April. I'm not saying we are cup contenders, or we will be in the playoffs 100%, I'm just saying people are judging this team too harshly due to how the season ended (and, hey, don't blame anyone) and things aren't as bad as the majority of the posters are making it seem.

They were playing crap the whole season and were lucky to win as many games as they did. Our possession has gone down with the result of these moves. I think Raymond and Gunnarsson could hold the puck more than any of our new players can.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They were playing crap the whole season and were lucky to win as many games as they did. Our possession has gone down with the result of these moves. I think Raymond and Gunnarsson could hold the puck more than any of our new players can.

Possession is overrated as ****.

It's not how much you have the puck, it is what you do with and without the puck. Boston, LA, Chicago aren't good because they have the puck, they are good because they can do what they do with the puck, and when they don't have the puck, they can get it back.

Also, the reason the Leafs possession stats are so poor, is because they play a dump/chase game, they rarely skate the pick into the zone, with the exception of the power play.

BUT THE BIGGEST REASON, is due to the swarm defense we play. The way the system is set up, the Leafs don't try to get the puck back, they simply try and force shots onto their goalie from low percentage areas. They currently allow the opposition to skate around their zone with the puck, and they are fine with it, as long as any shots come from low % areas.

Personally, I find personal possession stats to be pretty useless, and you can't judge quality of a player on possession. If I'm not mistaken, Franson is one of our better possession players, but I'm pretty sure 95% of this fanbase wants him gone.

Ideally, we find this happy medium between our current management, and HFBoards, where our current management pays no attention to possession, while HFBoards is obsessed with it.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Possession is overrated as ****.

It's not how much you have the puck, it is what you do with and without the puck. Boston, LA, Chicago aren't good because they have the puck, they are good because they can do what they do with the puck, and when they don't have the puck, they can get it back.

Also, the reason the Leafs possession stats are so poor, is because they play a dump/chase game, they rarely skate the pick into the zone, with the exception of the power play.

BUT THE BIGGEST REASON, is due to the swarm defense we play. The way the system is set up, the Leafs don't try to get the puck back, they simply try and force shots onto their goalie from low percentage areas. They currently allow the opposition to skate around their zone with the puck, and they are fine with it, as long as any shots come from low % areas.

Personally, I find personal possession stats to be pretty useless, and you can't judge quality of a player on possession. If I'm not mistaken, Franson is one of our better possession players, but I'm pretty sure 95% of this fanbase wants him gone.

Ideally, we find this happy medium between our current management, and HFBoards, where our current management pays no attention to possession, while HFBoards is obsessed with it.

Since when did our top two lines play a dump/chase game ? Why do you constantly feel the need to pull crap out of your ass to make excuses for this team .

We have poor possession numbers because we have a soft forward group as a whole and not because we play a dump and chase game .

Also maintaining possession is a very important part of the game regardless of whether the Leafs are a good or poor possession team .

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Maybe shanahan knows we suck and just wants to see things play out during the season so that he can make bigger trades if certain guys ie. Phaneuf, raise their trade value, and then tank for another blue chipper.

That is what I think. Shanny is new in this role and he probably want to see the team perform up close before making any final judgements on our core. Just as Nonis said at the TDL that it was now up to the players to prove them self for us since by not trading any one of them he showed trust in them. Now Shanahan/Nonis have said the same thing to our core guys. The only thing I wonder is if Shanahan and Nonis are on the same page, that they both know the team is rather poorly built and if so does it mean Nonis stay even if we end up bottom 5 or will Nonis go with the rest of the one getting fired?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Polak is a #5 Dman. He is as good as Franson, if anything its a lateral move. Defense for offense. BTW, its not like our offense was good last year either, it was middle of the pack

I think mgmt tried to address that as well, although I'm not sure trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a second time is the right approach (Lupul/Kadri/Frattin).

lets face it, after our top line, the production just disappeared.

Tyler Biggs*

Santorelli was one of the better Canucks last season and is good for $1.5M and Kontiola is looking like a steal for $1.1M. Way to fill out the roster with quality players and low cap hits. More grit, more character, more 2-way play. Looking forward to a better group effort next season. GLG

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can't believe that people are actually arguing that Leafs have gotten better:shakehead

There's a f***ing reason Bolland/Kulemin/Raymond got paid and "the better players" Leafs signed did not.

Leafs Nation has to be hopeful and optimistic that the new players work out or its going to be another long year for Leaf fans ahead. What other choice do we have?

With all the raises to current players retaining UFA and re-signing RFA they didn't have a lot of cap room.. Even bought out Gleason to create a little more wiggle room under the cap.

So the Leafs had to take some "hail marry" chances on the replacements of the departed. Sure they have lots of question marks with struggles or injuries or playing in other leagues last year but its those very issues why they got them for the prices they did.

If the team would simply have filled the team this year with 1/2 a roster of Marlies their intention they were tanking the season would have been obvious.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yup. Further proof that it doesn't matter what moves the Leafs make.........they're wrong!!

:)

Let Bolland walk = incompetent management

Sign Bolland @ 5 X 5.25 = incompetent management

Plus, "we got worse" because Bolland's gone....... friggin Troy Bodie was a bigger contributor than Bolland last season (because of the injury).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Letting Bolland and Kulemin walk for nothing was bad asset management by Management(Nonis). Trading draft picks hurts long term growth for this team.

Nonis has done a bad job this past year. If it is another bad year this season, he may be out of a job. I can see Shanny looking for another GM if we end up tanking next season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Plus, "we got worse" because Bolland's gone....... friggin Troy Bodie was a bigger contributor than Bolland last season (because of the injury).

Bolland could have been moved for many riches at the deadline, stupid Leafs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Bolland could have been moved for many riches at the deadline, stupid Leafs.

I know, right?

Look at what the other teams got at the deadline for their guys with severed ankle tendons.

Fire Bourke!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The circle of life in the NHL.

Mike Santorelli (Born Dec 14 1985, age 28) verses Dave Bolland (Born Jun 5 1986, age 28).

2012-13 Florida places Santorelli on waivers (claimed by Winnipeg) as Panthers finish 30th overall. Bolland scores Cup winning goal for Chicago.

2013-14 - Bolland acquired in trade by Toronto for 3 draft picks making $3.4 mil.. Santorelli signed as UFA by Vancouver (1 year 2-way contract for $550k) after being released by Winnipeg. Both players suffer major injuries forcing them to miss > 1/2 the season. Both let walk as UFAs.

2014-15 - Bolland signed by Florida 5 years $5.5 mil per as an improvement, Santorelli the former Panther signed 1 year $1.5 mil now sold as a improvement in Toronto.

Bolland verses Santorelli who is the better player?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The circle of life in the NHL.

Mike Santorelli (Born Dec 14 1985, age 28) verses Dave Bolland (Born Jun 5 1986, age 28).

2012-13 Florida places Santorelli on waivers (claimed by Winnipeg) as Panthers finish 30th overall. Bolland scores Cup winning goal for Chicago.

2013-14 - Bolland acquired in trade by Toronto for 3 draft picks making $3.4 mil.. Santorelli signed as UFA by Vancouver (1 year 2-way contract for $550k) after being released by Winnipeg. Both players suffer major injuries forcing them to miss > 1/2 the season. Both let walk as UFAs.

2014-15 - Bolland signed by Florida 5 years $5.5 mil per as an improvement, Santorelli the former Panther signed 1 year $1.5 mil now sold as a improvement in Toronto.

Bolland verses Santorelli who is the better player?

We shall see which is the better value.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know, right?

Look at what the other teams got at the deadline for their guys with severed ankle tendons.
!

Dallas Stars in a big playoff race in the West traded Stephane Robidas to Anaheim at the trade deadline for a 4th round pick and he was coming off a broken leg.

Does that count?

This is the same player that is seen as improvement to Carl Gunnarsson replacing him in the Leafs top 4 this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We shall see which is the better value.

No question it was wise for Toronto to walk away from Bolland after the price got too high that was good for business, because even in the $4 mil range it would have been too high for a 3rd line center compared to contributions. IMO

But better value does not mean better player as those are 2 separate issues here and not the same.

Santorelli in this thread is being sold as an improvement to the Leafs replacing Bolland, and not the better value contract when comparing $5.5 mil verses $1.5 mil contracts.

Better value contract: Santorelli & Better player: Bolland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad