News Article: The Leafs are the best, just unlucky

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hey great minds must think alike as I posted this earlier as my opinion on this. :)

the-peter-principle.jpg

Great minds think a like, fools seldom differ ... are we great minds or fools ;) ?

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Unlucky is a tough way to reconcile this last series. Vegas and the Islanders notwithstanding, the Canadiens earned their place. We petrified what luck we might have had through hard work.

I'm not going to lump in losses to Boston and Washington as being equivocal to this year. And there are reasons to point to being charitable as to why this year may have been somewhat "unlucky".

And the proof is in this consideration, that our club while young was very young and inexperienced before. Lost to champions who do and should be able to make the kind of luck that wrestles defeat away from teams that aren't and probably couldn't be expected to be ready to win.

Because had we experienced five straight years of this type of implosion, I think the fanbase would be in shocking disrepair. The four years preceding are understandable. This year, isn't. We should make the distinction so that if this really does continue, the fans can pivot back to a starting point without justification.

Hate using the term, but next year is a big year. And it might be the one before Year Zero if what happened this year repeats.
The Leafs have been worse every year Wonder Boy has been gm.
There are no more next years for the stick boy.
He’s gotta go.
Shanahan and Keefe too.

Reactions: rumman

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Well he was a failure, since he couldn't predict that his three top guns will combine for 1 goal in series we were one win away from going forward.
No.
He is a failure because of his record.
Have a look sometime.
Surprised you haven’t noticed by now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Great minds think a like, fools seldom differ ... are we great minds or fools ;) ?

When I typed Peter Principle into my google search it said see Kyle Dubas. So when I typed Kyle Dubas into my google search, it said see Peter Principle and had only this image of Kyle.

Consultantsmind-Peter-Principle.png

So I believe we might actually be on to something here. :wg:

I think Leafs were unlucky when they let a HOF and 3 X Stanley Cup GM go and promoted Dubas and now Leafs Nation is facing the consequences of that poor decision. IMO

Our Leafs are struggling because of the inexperience of Shanahan, Dubas and Keefe. This trio is really in a make for break season and no more hiding behind bad luck, and we start accepting bad decisions as the reasons behind the struggles. We haven't seen a lot of success and only disappointing ending to seasons.

Last edited:

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
He signed all the players to generous contracts based on what I can only assume were HIS projected expectations, instead of real world success. Sorry Team Dubas members it’s all on him.

Well any GM who had came after Lou would have build his team on those players, so you could argue that team he assembled gave us good enough chance to win. I think this is stupid to pin that on Dubas.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Actually in H2H games we actually match up pretty good against them.

Tampa Bay Lightning vs Toronto Maple Leafs
True but Tampa is bigger/stronger/meaner and more talented as the years go by.
We are regressing as the years go by.
We are quite simply a very easy team to play against.
A Josh Anderson trade is what we need.
Enough with the 5’8” 175 lb guys.
That means new Mgt is needed.
Even our studs Muzzin/Bogo and that’s really it have been neutered with this reinvent the wheel and pass the puck into the net nonsense.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Well any GM who had came after Lou would have build his team on those players, so you could argue that team he assembled gave us good enough chance to win. I think this is stupid to pin that on Dubas.
Or .
You could argue that Wonder Boy has no idea what he is doing.
The results suggest as much.
Winning a very weak North Division is nothing at all to be proud of.
We beat 6 bad teams in a short season.
Ya.
Plan the parade.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
True but Tampa is bigger/stronger/meaner and more talented as the years go by.
We are regressing as the years go by.
We are quite simply a very easy team to play against.
A Josh Anderson trade is what we need.
Enough with the 5’8” 175 lb guys.
That means new Mgt is needed.
Even our studs Muzzin/Bogo and that’s really it have been neutered with this reinvent the wheel and pass the puck into the net nonsense.

NYI worry me more than Tampa, Ottawa worries more than Tampa. Tampa plays a game similar to ours, more of a free flowing skill game. NYI just works their asses off with a dash of talent mixed in. Colorado worries me they work hard are extremely talented.

I agree I would like to see an end to the small player draft picks that turn into dust in a few years. The way I know Josh Anderson is good, is I don't like him. Hate him every shift he played vs us.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
When I typed Peter Principle into my google search it said see Kyle Dubas. So when I typed Kyle Dubas into my google search, it said see Peter Principle and had only this image of Kyle.

Consultantsmind-Peter-Principle.png

So I believe we might actually be on to something here. :wg:

I think Leafs were unlucky when they let a HOF and 3 X Stanley Cup GM go and promoted Dubas and now Leafs Nation is facing the consequences of that poor decision. IMO

Our Leafs are struggling because of the inexperience of Shanahan, Dubas and Keefe. This trio is really in a make for break season and no more hiding behind bad luck, and we start accepting bad decisions as the reasons behind the struggles. We haven't seen a lot of success and only disappointing ending to seasons.

LOL, funny. Even has his Nerd glasses.... oops can I call some one a nerd or is that microaggression? F it ... he's a nerd...and not in the likeable I'm gonna stick up for you nerd... in the sense he's the guy I want to give a swirly too... he's got that Yacht Club look with the nerd vibe....

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The management team shouldn’t care what the fans think.

I’d be worried if they did.

Tampa didn’t blow it up after a humiliating loss and they won the cup the next year. I know it’s a different team but blowing it up isn’t always the answer.
Stanley cup finals and 2 conference finals in the preceding four playoffs. Talk about an apples to oranges comparison.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
But he didn't build on it, he immediately decided to spend the rest of his construction budget on a second swimming pool and the house ended up being finished with second hand and inferior materials.

Reactions: yubbers and myleafs

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The team culture is the problem. Not talent
Half and half.
Culture and paid like champions yes.
What did they do to change the fact that they had only one goal?
Did they change their game? Take an extra hit for a play? Stand in the crease? Or did they play like it was a Wednesday night in January. Damn, the normal regular season lanes just aren’t open. Oh well. Just unlucky I guess. How are those ribs Kucherov?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Half and half.
Culture and paid like champions yes.
What did they do to change the fact that they had only one goal?
Did they change their game? Take an extra hit for a play? Stand in the crease? Or did they play like it was a Wednesday night in January. Damn, the normal regular season lanes just aren’t open. Oh well. Just unlucky I guess. How are those ribs Kucherov?
Ya but their expected goals and XF’s and pdq’s and X’s and O’s were awesome, so everything is all right

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
People have the memory of the Sundin/Clack/Gilmour teams but have no memory for the 3 terrible terrible terrible GM's we had in Ferguson/Burke/Nonis

I'll take Dubas every time over those 3 clowns. Dubas doing such a terrible job? When was the last time a Leaf team won their division? I'm as disappointed as anyone but this horseshit being spread here makes me thankful that whatever Dubas does, he most definitely doesn't listen to the know-nothings here.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
People have the memory of the Sundin/Clack/Gilmour teams but have no memory for the 3 terrible terrible terrible GM's we had in Ferguson/Burke/Nonis

I'll take Dubas every time over those 3 clowns. Dubas doing such a terrible job? When was the last time a Leaf team won their division? I'm as disappointed as anyone but this horseshit being spread here makes me thankful that whatever Dubas does, he most definitely doesn't listen to the know-nothings here.
Call me crazy but I'm just not putting that much stock into winning a craptacular Canadian division.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Call me crazy but I'm just not putting that much stock into winning a craptacular Canadian division.
Wonder if they’ll have the audacity to lift that joke of a banner to the rafters next season?

Reactions: egd27

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The leafs are a joke franchise and the core of the problem is the people who continue to hire piss poor management, and that’s mlse.

one thing I’d like to point out, let’s look at 2 successful former player now GM’s in Sakic and yzerman. In there playing days, they were high IQ, cerebral elite centerman, the absolute rock of there respective franchises.

now let’s look at 2 former players who are/were presidents in linden and shanahan. As players, they were both grunt/power forwards playing a north south bangem game. Shanahan was a great goal scoring power forward but he wasn’t a high IQ player like yzerman or sakic. And these differences of intelligence have translated to there current employment.
If you watch shanahan interviews, he does not come off as very bright.

it’s the observation I made about these 4 and how and why sakic and yzerman have been successful and the latter have not.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Tampa dumps the puck and is willing to go into the corner to get the puck. Even the top line does this. I don't think ANY other team in the league plays like the Leafs where they avoid contact at all costs when attacking. Kuch specifically isn't afraid to attack the net. That's not to mention the rest of their forward group that crashes the net (look at the Cup clinching goal from a rookie).

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The leafs want to score as many goals as possible without any contact in a contact sport, leafs being leafs, news at 11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad