News Article: The Leafs are the best, just unlucky

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I just don’t see how they can add quality players when they can only pay them, in most cases, the league minimum. Too much $ tied up in 4 forwards. And I’m not saying you make a trade for the sake of just making one. If the trade doesn’t help us, then you don’t make it. But, at the same time, I don’t believe you can properly balance this roster when you have to nickel and dime the bottom six.

Players want to play here for free. :sarcasm: Dubas just has to sign the right ones (i.e. Perry over Simmonds/Jumbo/Vesey/Boyd). He will be up to bat later this month with two strikes and no balls and needs to hit at least a double.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Price's luck seems to have run out I guess. Amazing how difficult it is when you face players that can snipe and not so many soft shots from the perimeter.
I’d say Tampa’s had the puck luck in the games so far, must have been a real bummer dominating the 2nd and go into the dressing room down a goal scored in the dying seconds. Harkens to the Isle’s game 7 pp snafu, you just can’t give a ream like Tampa those chances.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’d say Tampa’s had the puck luck in the games so far, must have been a real bummer dominating the 2nd and go into the dressing room down a goal scored in the dying seconds. Harkens to the Isle’s game 7 pp snafu, you just can’t give a ream like Tampa those chances.

No muffins on Tampa's PP doesn't help Price's luck either.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
No muffins on Tampa's PP doesn't help Price's luck either.

Ya, watching our futile PP was infuriating to me. I don't understand how the coaches couldn't coax some movement out of these guys. Are they incapable of movement? I just don't understand how you can see a problem for so long and not try anything different. That alone should be the reason to Axe all of the coaching staff. It seemed to me that the players were just following orders for the most part and the coaches just sat there saying "The chances were there, we just need to put one in" over and over again ad-nauseum.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
During a Bobcat podcast they interviewed someone who compared the Leafs to the early 90s Red Wings: a team that kept getting to the playoffs but would get eliminated (I wouldn't know; I was too young at the time). The solution? They got Brendan Shanahan...a note that was designed to be more ironically amusing since the Leafs did the same thing in a different context.

But the point was...they got a power forward, I guess? Again, I wasn't paying attention at the time so I don't really know how he played. So, are there any power forwards available?

Price's luck seems to have run out I guess. Amazing how difficult it is when you face players that can snipe and not so many soft shots from the perimeter.

I'm surprised more teams haven't noticed that Price seems to be giving up most of his goals to defensemen.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe in the regular season, but not in the playoffs.
One annoying thing this team does, over and over again, is play down to their opponents. I'd argue THAT, more than anything, is what cost them against both Columbus and Montreal; they didn't come out with everything because they played down to their weaker opponents. Look back on how they played Boston vs. how they played Columbus and Montreal. Team looked 100% better, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's because Boston was a stronger opponent. We even saw it in this division; why were the last place Ottawa Senators the team the Leafs had the most trouble with? Because they didn't play Ottawa as hard as they played someone like Edmonton...

It's stupid, and I blame coaching, but honestly this goes all the way back to Ron Wilson...

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Ya, watching our futile PP was infuriating to me. I don't understand how the coaches couldn't coax some movement out of these guys. Are they incapable of movement? I just don't understand how you can see a problem for so long and not try anything different. That alone should be the reason to Axe all of the coaching staff. It seemed to me that the players were just following orders for the most part and the coaches just sat there saying "The chances were there, we just need to put one in" over and over again ad-nauseum.
And then we have to hear all about such nonsense as expected goals like it’s a legit excuse for not getting actual real goals

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Those Sharks had to face two stanly cup teams in Chicago and LA and a very good Anaheim team for years

We lost last two years to a lucky Habs team and Columbus. Two teams that can't score

The Sharks team is also potentially a best case scenario that was a regular juggernaut but never won anything. Most teams don't win Cups or take 13 years to get there like Ovi's Caps

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
One annoying thing this team does, over and over again, is play down to their opponents. I'd argue THAT, more than anything, is what cost them against both Columbus and Montreal; they didn't come out with everything because they played down to their weaker opponents. Look back on how they played Boston vs. how they played Columbus and Montreal. Team looked 100% better, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's because Boston was a stronger opponent. We even saw it in this division; why were the last place Ottawa Senators the team the Leafs had the most trouble with? Because they didn't play Ottawa as hard as they played someone like Edmonton...

It's stupid, and I blame coaching, but honestly this goes all the way back to Ron Wilson...
If that’s the case then this team needs a definite do-over, meaning doing another rebuild. To take any team lightly in the playoffs (yes, I know Tampa did), especially after *4 straight years of going out in the 1st round (*I’m really not counting last year as having made the playoffs), then heads need to roll.

Reactions: rumman

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If that’s the case then this team needs a definite do-over, meaning doing another rebuild. To take any team lightly in the playoffs (yes, I know Tampa did), especially after *4 straight years of going out in the 1st round (*I’m really not counting last year as having made the playoffs), then heads need to roll.

I'd move both Nylander and Marner in order to change the makeup of the team and acquire 1 or 2 high picks but only by a new management team. Unfortunately that won't happen for at least another year. And around and around we go.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd move both Nylander and Marner in order to change the makeup of the team and acquire 1 or 2 high picks but only by a new management team. Unfortunately that won't happen for at least another year. And around and around we go.
Exactly what should be done by new GM if and when ownership wake up from their collective coma.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Players want to play here for free. :sarcasm: Dubas just has to sign the right ones (i.e. Perry over Simmonds/Jumbo/Vesey/Boyd). He will be up to bat later this month with two strikes and no balls and needs to hit at least a double.
Actually, I believe players don’t want to play here as much as we might want to think. I’m now wondering why Thornton never had to sit out, and got to be on PP1? And why Simmonds never had to sit out? I believe it’s because, in order to get them, Thornton especially, Dubas promised them lots of extras, ie. playing time and PP.

Last edited:

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Also, I believe Nylander will go 1st chance he gets (not that it really matters because he’s so soft), because Marner and Matthews are running the show (they play the majority of the PP minutes as one example), and Nylander gets their scraps.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Exactly what should be done by new GM if and when ownership wake up from their collective coma.
It kind of makes you wonder how badly ownership wants to build a winner. Aren’t the Leafs one of the highest money generating teams in hockey, if not all sports, regardless of their inability to do anything in the playoffs?

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Bad turnover in game 5 OT, game over. Bad turnover in game 6 OT, game over.

No one really showed up in game 7. Was a pathetic outing by the entire team.

How do you be up 3 to 1 against one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL that was crawling into the playoffs with a laughable 24-21-11 record?

Toronto always finds new ways to embarrass themselves and their fans.

Staying status quo tells your fans you don't a shit about winning.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bad turnover in game 5 OT, game over. Bad turnover in game 6 OT, game over.

No one really showed up in game 7. Was a pathetic outing by the entire team.

How do you be up 3 to 1 against one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL that was crawling into the playoffs with a laughable 24-21-11 record?

Toronto always finds new ways to embarrass themselves and their fans.

Staying status quo tells your fans you don't a shit about winning.
Or they have no idea how to and will not break up the core

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

That's because they need their "Oh Shit" meter to go off before putting in 100% effort. They were afraid of being embarrassed against Boston and Washington...they were not so afraid of CBJ and the Habs. That is a big problem because it shows we're not mentally strong enough to just destroy teams that we should beat handily.

I think the attitude they have is linked to the pacifist management agenda of being nice...or something...

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
You folks need to move on, considering how hopeless you believe things are. Angry hyperbole fills every thread.

Reactions: ACC1224

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
That's because they need their "Oh Shit" meter to go off before putting in 100% effort. They were afraid of being embarrassed against Boston and Washington...they were not so afraid of CBJ and the Habs. That is a big problem because it shows we're not mentally strong enough to just destroy teams that we should beat handily.

I think the attitude they have is linked to the pacifist management agenda of being nice...or something...
Except for the part where this has been an ongoing problem since 1993. This problem is older than the current owners, forget about the current management. A rebuild would almost definitely lead to the next team doing the same shit. They need to figure out WHY the team has played like this for three decades before they do anything.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
When Matthews takes off on the team in free agency a year after that, then what? Pray the new management managed to pull a couple more franchise players out of those picks because the Leafs will then be back to where they were after JFJ was fired? It took them what, a decade to recover from that?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
There are things that are true, that Leafs Nation doesn’t want to hear: 1) the team lost only because it got unlucky 2) they have one of the best rosters in the NHL 3) they have one of the best farm systems in the NHL 4) they were correct to set their salary cap structure up the way they did 5) they don’t have a single bad contract on the team 6) they have the second best player in the world and, at worst, the 5th or 6th best player in the world on their roster. 7) They are set up to be competitive for years.

source The Toronto Maple Leafs Are Right to Not Care What We Think

When your article is this bad, its an editor in leaf article.

1. Nope, the team folded. You don't lose three games in a row because of one unlucky shot.
2.Somewhat true if you compare "Leafs potential" with Tampas actually results.
3.Good to know. There a was worrying we might miss all the wasted 1st round picks. Some teams need to be lucky to pick good player , we not even picking and still kicking major ass !
4.Sure sure. They also got unlucky here. All it took was for the league to follow Leafs in overpaying for RFA,shame they did not. Leafs correct, the rest of the league more correct (correctier?)?
5.From a player perspective? We have one, Spezza.
6.Matthes is not the second-best player in the world. He is great.Is he better than Ovi,Draisaitl,Mac,Kucherov, Bergeron, Marchand...that 5th and 6th player not even in top 30. Everyone top 5 until you need to put the list down.
7.Regular season competitive.. You need to win something in the playoffs to be competitive. One way or another, our great contracts set us for another rebuild in 3 years ( technically years :D, it will be years next year ...)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $145.00