News Article: The Leafs are the best, just unlucky

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
There are things that are true, that Leafs Nation doesn’t want to hear: 1) the team lost only because it got unlucky 2) they have one of the best rosters in the NHL 3) they have one of the best farm systems in the NHL 4) they were correct to set their salary cap structure up the way they did 5) they don’t have a single bad contract on the team 6) they have the second best player in the world and, at worst, the 5th or 6th best player in the world on their roster. 7) They are set up to be competitive for years.

source The Toronto Maple Leafs Are Right to Not Care What We Think

When your article is this bad, its an editor in leaf article.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Rolling snake eyes 5 times in a row.

"Just bad luck".

Right.

Pretending this series was a one off is delusional. It's five series losses, losing to a Zamboni driver, Tavares' return to long Island, blowing a 5-1 lead to the Senators etc. Embarrassment after embarrassment and we're supposed to just assume that the president, GM, coach and players that have won f*** all at this level will just figure it out by not changing the game plan. Absolute lunacy.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
The management team shouldn’t care what the fans think.

I’d be worried if they did.

Tampa didn’t blow it up after a humiliating loss and they won the cup the next year. I know it’s a different team but blowing it up isn’t always the answer.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The management team shouldn’t care what the fans think.

I’d be worried if they did.

Tampa didn’t blow it up after a humiliating loss and they won the cup the next year. I know it’s a different team but blowing it up isn’t always the answer.

Except that team over there went to the conference finals just the year before. Sorry, the Tampa comparison is no good.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I can't think of any professional sports team that loses in more epic fashion with the level of regularity that the Leafs show. The only team that comes remotely close in my mind would be the Cleveland Browns. I am a genuine optimist, and I always believe the Leafs will figure it out eventually, but it really feels like this team is f***ing cursed at this point lol. I mean MTL is in the cup finals this year, with a team that is not even half as talented as ours...how can we not be cursed.

I want to believe it's bad luck, but you make you're own luck most of the time. If the process is consistently right, the outcomes will eventually follow suit. The process has been flawed from this core group in the playoffs for a while now. Hard to believe the outcome will be any different at this point.

but I'll still be here next year cheering like the f***ing moron I am..

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Editor in Leaf is so bad lol

Would never click on that site.

Just occasionally seeing the garbage takes they spew from their twitter account is enough for me.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Leafs had a bad three game losing streak when it mattered most. They lost two in OT. Most concerning is the way they rolled over in each of the last three game 7s or 5s. But at least they got there. They haven’t been getting swept or drastically outplayed.

Fans want blood. I get it. But making a bad trade to appease our butt hurt fan base will make things worse. I really enjoyed watching the team this year minus the End. Over reacting now because it is essy is the worst thing Dubas and company can do. Despite the torches being carried by our fan base making emotional decisions rarely is the right thing to do.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
There are things that are true, that Leafs Nation doesn’t want to hear: 1) the team lost only because it got unlucky 2) they have one of the best rosters in the NHL 3) they have one of the best farm systems in the NHL 4) they were correct to set their salary cap structure up the way they did 5) they don’t have a single bad contract on the team 6) they have the second best player in the world and, at worst, the 5th or 6th best player in the world on their roster. 7) They are set up to be competitive for years.

source The Toronto Maple Leafs Are Right to Not Care What We Think

When your article is this bad, its an editor in leaf article.
Don’t you know,there is no such thing as luck.:rolleyes:

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
The true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over and expecting a different result.

I don't care about who they listen to. There is no guarantee that by doing nothing that they will achieve post season success. How many other franchises would sit there after 5 first round playoff defeats & say "Hey! Lets bring the exact same team back because next year we are really going to do it this time!"?

I could just as easily make the argument that the Leafs have bad management. This team repeatedly comes up empty in the post-season & instead of contemplating any serious change to shake up the roster, they do nothing. Management can't believe that their process gave them nothing but fools gold. If they make the playoffs next year, they will be facing a better team. How are you going to beat them when you can't even beat a team that finished in 18th place in the NHL?

I'm sick of the excuses from this organization. We gave them the resources & time to build a contending team. Get the job done or get lost!

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
I shoulda had a better career, I was just unlucky!

Shoulda won the lottery, I was just unlucky!

Team played great and shoulda won the cup, just unlucky!

You can only move forward and grow when you accept responsibility for your own actions. Until this team loses this excuse- driven, just unlucky attitude...were doomed.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Here is what Sergechev from Tampa Bay (oh yea the team we are so much like in skill around here) did to Gallagher.

upload_2021-6-30_14-21-36.jpeg

And it’s more luck we need?
Lol.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
But making a bad trade to appease our butt hurt fan base will make things worse.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a bad trade or doing anything solely to appease fans, but as has been pointed out many times, including in this thread, simply rinsing & repeating and expecting a better result isn't usually the option that works.

This team had enormous pressure this spring to go on a run and they failed miserably. The pressure will be even greater next season, and the season after that until they do. I can't speak for any players but I'd imagine walking into camp this fall and seeing the same faces that failed again isn't going to give them a lot of confidence that the upcoming season will be where they stop failing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs had a bad three game losing streak when it mattered most. They lost two in OT. Most concerning is the way they rolled over in each of the last three game 7s or 5s. But at least they got there. They haven’t been getting swept or drastically outplayed.

Fans want blood. I get it. But making a bad trade to appease our butt hurt fan base will make things worse. I really enjoyed watching the team this year minus the End. Over reacting now because it is essy is the worst thing Dubas and company can do. Despite the torches being carried by our fan base making emotional decisions rarely is the right thing to do.

Do you trust management to make a good trade?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don't think anyone is suggesting a bad trade or doing anything solely to appease fans, but as has been pointed out many times, including in this thread, simply rinsing & repeating and expecting a better result isn't usually the option that works.

This team had enormous pressure this spring to go on a run and they failed miserably. The pressure will be even greater next season, and the season after that until they do. I can't speak for any players but I'd imagine walking into camp this fall and seeing the same faces that failed again isn't going to give them a lot of confidence that the upcoming season will be where they stop failing.

We’re at the point where this core very much will get in its own way of having any playoff success. They’ve failed too many times and it’s most certainly in their heads now. This season was the easiest it’ll ever get for them to have finally shaken off those playoff demons. Even if they got smacked by Tampa in the Final Four they still could’ve pointed to two round wins and had that mental block eliminated.

Reactions: egd27

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
if you could bottle Gallagher's determination and put it in the Leaf's water bottles I'd go a long way to fixing said team's problems...........
If I could put the skill of a core player in a Hyman and Connor Brown we’d have Bergeron and the core piece I’m looking for.

Keep building because we don’t have the right collection yet.

Reactions: Buds17 and rumman

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
The way I see it:
Keefe completely underestimated the Habs and this blew up in his face due to terrible lineup choices, plus Tavares and Muzzin going down. You cannot underestimate how significant losing Muzzin was.
Toronto would have beat Jets but not as easily as the Habs (as Schiefele was missing)
Toronto would have beat Vegas. Seeing the number the Habs did on the Knights leaves me sure of this.
Toronto would be a better matchup then Habs against Tampa.
This is probably a more likely reality then just saying everyone sucks and trade the core. We were missing a franchise C for the entire series and also our best defenseman for the last two games essentially. It is/was an elite team.

Everybody is pissed and may never recover but eventually you have to reconcile to the fact that losing Tavares/Muzzin plus having a moron for a coach probably did us in, even if Auston was awful and Mitch was god awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyrophorus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad