The Last time A Canadian Team won the cup.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Were you following hockey prior to the salary cap?

Been following since the early 90's when the Wings won the Cup with about 400% the salary of the Caps, and when the Oilers beat the Stars in the first round although they were outspent about 2.5 times (go Marchant).

The Cap has been the best thing for the Canadian teams. Ensuring all 7 teams can be competitive while incenting teams to build internally saves the Leafs from themselves. Without the cap about 80% of the league would have been nothing but feeder teams for the few rich teams.

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
It's turned out to be a a bit of a curse. There's actually been 6 finals appearances since 93, which is around what you would expect, but they have lost them all, including 4 game 7s.

Attachments

• the_curse_1993.jpg
    the_curse_1993.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 4

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Well I mean at the time Michael Jordan was probably the most famous person on the planet, you didn't really need to be a big basketball fan to recognize him.

I believe that Mohammed Ali was the most famous person on the planet.

He lit the cauldron at the Atlanta Olympics Games in 1996, not MJ.

I actually had a computer (Compaq?) at home in the summer of 1990. I think I bought it for $2K at Egghead.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I actually had a computer (Compaq?) at home in the summer of 1990. I think I bought it for $2K at Egghead.

In 1993? Michael Jordan was more popular, he was marketed on TV non-stop.

The Olympics would've loved to have MJ, he had no interest in going, even to get him to go the 1992 Olympics required a lot of convincing since he had already won Olympic gold in 1984 as a college player.

A fair number of homes did have a PC, but a fair number also did not. The internet age was a completely foreign concept, if you wanted to get in touch with someone you used the standard rotary telephone at home and if you weren't at home that's what pay phones were for.

Today it would be kinda mind blowing to go to someone's house where they have no computer device at all (I include smartphones, tablets, etc. in that mix) but back then it was fairly common. A house had a TV, a radio, a VCR ... maybe a game console, but much beyond that? Quite often no.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
In 1993? Michael Jordan was more popular, he was marketed on TV non-stop.

The Olympics would've loved to have MJ, he had no interest in going, even to get him to go the 1992 Olympics required a lot of convincing since he had already won Olympic gold in 1984 as a college player.

A fair number of homes did have a PC, but a fair number also did not. The internet age was a completely foreign concept, if you wanted to get in touch with someone you used the standard rotary telephone at home and if you weren't at home that's what pay phones were for.

Today it would be kinda mind blowing to go to someone's house where they have no computer device at all (I include smartphones, tablets, etc. in that mix) but back then it was fairly common. A house had a TV, a radio, a VCR ... maybe a game console, but much beyond that? Quite often no.

Internet was around, there were 1M internet hosts in 1993 and 2400 to 9600 Baud (bits per second, painfully slow) modems over dialup existed. It was not the internet as we think of it today, but the beginnings were there.

Reactions: Islander Class

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Lmao.

Oh yeah, he lit the cauldron so he was the most famous person on planet :facepalm:

MJ was a worldwide phenomenon like no other in an age where marketing drove famdom to new heights.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
I remember back then all the Canadian traditionalist were saying hockey in the sun belt was such a mistake and the players would not go there. They would much rather play in markets with "true" winters and "real" fans who knew the game and the culture. Now the best player for Toronto is from Arizona. My how times have changed.

Since 1993 Stanley cup winning teams

Sun Belt 7
Canada 0

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Won't happen until the business changes, too much money to be made sending the cup to big american cities with 5 million+ potential new fans. Montreal (and every other canadian team) is already near fiscal saturation in their market, a cup win is a nice boost, but nothing compared to long term impact of creating new fans in huge, relatively untapped american markets. You only need to throw a finals run to a canadian team every 20-30 years to maintain market saturation, giving those fans a cup is like throwing a hundred million dollars in the trash, won't happen.

This is also why refereeing sucks, if the fans expect no consistency from refs, then it's much easier to fix a game without it looking unusual.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Helmut Kohl was the chancellor in Germany.

That’s crazy- b/c Kohl was definitely part of the Cold War “old guard” (with Reagan/Bush Sr., Thatcher, Mitterand, etc.). So provides some sense of time having passed. That said- also notable they’ve only had two Chancellors (Schroeder & Merkel) since!

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
That’s crazy- b/c Kohl was definitely part of the Cold War “old guard” (with Reagan/Bush Sr., Thatcher, Mitterand, etc.). So provides some sense of time having passed. That said- also notable they’ve only had two Chancellors (Schroeder & Merkel) since!
Indeed. I have shades of memories of Schmidt but pretty much all through my childhood and formative years until I was 25, Kohl was Chancellor. I have to remind myself that there are people now that feel the same way about Merkel. It warps my mind in a strange way.

Reactions: Islander Class

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Leaders when a Canadian team last won the Cup:
US: Bill Clinton
UK: John Major
Canada: Jean Chrétien
France: Francois Mitterand

Czechoslovakia was freshly split into the Czech Rebuplic and Slovakia.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The Avalanche were the Nordiques
The Coyotes were the Jets
The Stars had just finished being the North Stars
The Hurricanes were still the Whalers

Elsewhere,
The Tennessee Titans were still the Houston Oilers
The Raiders had not yet moved back to Oakland, let alone Las Vegas
The Baltimore Ravens were still the Cleveland Browns
The LA Rams had not yet spent time in St. Louis before moving back
The Oklahoma City Thunder were still in Seattle as the Supersonics
The Washington Wizards were named the Bullets.
The Washington Nationals were the Montreal Expos

Back to hockey,
The Rangers hadn't won a Cup in 53 years. That would end a year later.
The drought for the Red Wings was 38 years
The Black Hawks hadn't skated with the Cup in 32 years
And Leafs fans were lamenting a 26 year dry spell.

Reactions: adsfan and HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad