The Last time A Canadian Team won the cup.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Here are the notable events I can think of off the top of my head the last time a Canadian team won the cup.

- The Raptors didn't even exist
- Michael Jordan was still in his prime
- Space Jam 1 wasn't even out
- Jagr was still extremely young in the league
- Shaq finished his rookie year
- Blue Jays won the World Series b2b

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Internet didn't exist

Kurt Cobain and Tupac were making music

Apartheid was still a thing

Animation was drawn by hand still (Toy Story came out in 95).

OJ Simpson was known as a football player / actor

World Trade Center were the 2 tallest towers in New York City.

Putin wasn't prez of Russia

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Internet didn't exist

Kurt Cobain and Tupac were making music

Apartheid was still a thing

Animation was drawn by hand still (Toy Story came out in 95).

OJ Simpson was known as a football player / actor

World Trade Center were the 2 tallest towers in New York City.

Putin wasn't prez of Russia

Didn’t Tim Berners-Lee invent it in 1989 building on previous systems with CERN?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Almost no one had internet, many households didn't even have a computer. Mobile phones looked like this and were generally reserved for business yuppies.

4598.jpg

The 16-bit video game wars raged at their peak

182a29c2222d82f352a5cd63655190e7.630x360x1.jpg

Jurassic Park was about to come out and dominate the world

jurassicpark.jpg

Michael Jordan beat the Phoenix Suns (who coincidentally are back in the NBA Finals this year for the first time since 1993) to threepeat

jordan-1-threepeat-1110x900.jpg

Forget Netflix, you went here if you wanted to watch a movie at home

blockbuster-video-still-alive.png

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
- Larry Bird hadn't yet been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- John Stockton and Karl Malone were making the Jazz competitive.
- Dennis Rodman hadn't started coloring his hair every shade of the rainbow yet.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Notable financial realities that have absolutely made it harder for Canadian teams to win the cup:

- the emergence of NYR, Detroit, and Colorado as really big spenders, and NJ and Dallas as big-ish spenders due to the success they were having, coupled with a declining Canadian dollar from the early 90s until the early-mid 00s. Toronto was the only Canadian team that could compete with this spending.

- a lockout and complete change of rules through the salary cap, that completely negated the strengthened Canadian dollar of the time, thus putting Canadian teams at substantial disadvantages because of very low cap figures since the cap came into effect.

It's still an anomaly that Canada hasn't crowned a cup champion since then when on average they should every 4-5 seasons, but there are undisputable financial reasons that have contributed tremendously to the drought.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The universe was created after I gained consciousness, so none of things actually happened as I wasn't born yet. The cup belongs to the US as memories of Canada winning do not exist to me and I have not experienced the event first hand

Reactions: virothepyro

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Here are the notable events I can think of off the top of my head the last time a Canadian team won the cup.

- The Raptors didn't even exist
- Michael Jordan was still in his prime
- Space Jam 1 wasn't even out
- Jagr was still extremely young in the league
- Shaq finished his rookie year
- Blue Jays won the World Series b2b
When you put it like that, it seems like it wasn't really such a long time ago. The Raptors are a new franchise. Space Jam's a relatively new movie. Jagr is a current generation player.

That was like a decade ago, max. Right? Right?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
1993 was probably the greatest nhl season of my lifetime. There were so many great stories, and so many stars at the same time. 94 was a good season too, but I feel like the product took a hit after the 94 lockout.

This was prime nhl.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Notable financial realities that have absolutely made it harder for Canadian teams to win the cup:

- the emergence of NYR, Detroit, and Colorado as really big spenders, and NJ and Dallas as big-ish spenders due to the success they were having, coupled with a declining Canadian dollar from the early 90s until the early-mid 00s. Toronto was the only Canadian team that could compete with this spending.

- a lockout and complete change of rules through the salary cap, that completely negated the strengthened Canadian dollar of the time, thus putting Canadian teams at substantial disadvantages because of very low cap figures since the cap came into effect.

It's still an anomaly that Canada hasn't crowned a cup champion since then when on average they should every 4-5 seasons, but there are undisputable financial reasons that have contributed tremendously to the drought.

It's turned out to be a a bit of a curse. There's actually been 6 finals appearances since 93, which is around what you would expect, but they have lost them all, including 4 game 7s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad