The Last time A Canadian Team won the cup.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The 10s were bad for Canada

Have to sort of factor in where teams were.

Winnipeg inherited the Trashers in 2011.
Toronto and Calgary were both declining teams entering the 2010's with aging cores, and both did rebuilds during the 2010's.
Edmonton had just started it's first of two rebuild cycles.

Really the only two teams that had much of a chance was Vancouver in the first 5 years of the decade, and I thought Sens were really close in the mid 2010's.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As a refresher, of course, Quebec left in 95, Winnipeg left in 96, the Oilers and Senators came perilously close to death, and if the Oilers had gone, there was some belief that the Flames wouldn't outlive them for long. A few unlucky turns of history and we might've been staring at an NHL landscape with only Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver having survived the 90s.

A refresher, for a refresher for Calgary:

In 1999 the Flames Ownership group essentially came to the city/media and said that season ticket sales were so bad, that if they don't improve we're going the way of Quebec and Winnipeg. They ended up getting something like 8,500 season tickets that year. In 2000, they then came back and said they need 14,000 season tickets this year, and corporate boxes will increase for the team to stay. They got both those requests. They actually then came back and said 'that's all fine and dandy, but we're actually still uncertain if we're going to stay, we need to negotiate a new lease for the building and we need more provincial benefits.'

The Flames were losing money until their cup run in 2003.

It's crazy how if a city didn't get behind their team, that there may not have been hockey between Toronto and Vancouver for the better part of a decade and a half.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
1993 was probably the greatest nhl season of my lifetime. There were so many great stories, and so many stars at the same time. 94 was a good season too, but I feel like the product took a hit after the 94 lockout.

This was prime nhl.

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Here are the notable events I can think of off the top of my head the last time a Canadian team won the cup.

- The Raptors didn't even exist
- Michael Jordan was still in his prime
- Space Jam 1 wasn't even out
- Jagr was still extremely young in the league
- Shaq finished his rookie year
- Blue Jays won the World Series b2b

Uh basketball fokus. What a dull game with little tactical elememt, played by super athletes.

Reactions: SoupNazi

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Almost no one had internet, many households didn't even have a computer. Mobile phones looked like this and were generally reserved for business yuppies.

4598.jpg

That phone was in the 80s they had already evolved to a smaller, slimmer still by 93 even though they were still a rarity.

c45f374f20d3201107009ee2ccfaa17b.jpg

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I grew up in Los Angeles and was a huge Kings fan so when we made it to the finals i was stoked. Then comes John f***ing LeClair to go god mode on us and extinguish our hopes.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
-Bill Clinton was in the first year of his first Term;

-The Aikman/Smith/Irvin-era Cowboys had won their first Super Bowl, and were gearing up for their 2nd; and

-GN’Rs Use Your Illusion World Tour was winding down

I was thinking about this one just the other day. It's absolutely incredible to me that the U.S. has had FIVE presidents (three of them serving eight years each) since the last time a Canadian team won the Cup. Also the fact that Canada has had six PMs since.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Bettman handed off the cup for the first time.

Wonder how long after the tradition of intensely booing Bettman started?

I think after the Devils won the Cup in '95 he was booed as fans believed he played a large role in the team's rumored relocation to Nashville that offseason. That was also after the league lost half a season to a lockout, so maybe it continued after that as well?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Wonder how long after the tradition of intensely booing Bettman started?

I think after the Devils won the Cup in '95 he was booed as fans believed he played a large role in the team's rumored relocation to Nashville that offseason. That was also after the league lost half a season to a lockout, so maybe it continued after that as well?

This may or may not have been the first instance of an entire arena booing Bettman but make no mistake about it, New Jersey LOATHED Bettman. And in typical Bettman fashion he just sat back and enjoyed being the "villian" :laugh:

eliasjx

Apr 23, 2018
Vancouver
It's just been bad luck for them in the finals...

1994: Canucks lose 3-4
2004: Flames lose 3-4
2006: Oilers lose 3-4
2007: Senators lose 1-4
2011: Canucks lose 3-4
2021: Habs lose ?-4

That's been 6 Stanley Cup Finals, with at least 4 going to game 7. If Canadian teams won half that, 3, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
STP’s Plush came out that summer. f***ing loved it. I remember the first time I heard it and thought it was Pearl Jam. Simple but terrific riff and Weilland was an awesome singer.

Don’t remember much else because between the Habs and Jays winning that year I was pretty much drunk the whole year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's just been bad luck for them in the finals...

1994: Canucks lose 3-4
2004: Flames lose 3-4
2006: Oilers lose 3-4
2007: Senators lose 1-4
2011: Canucks lose 3-4
2021: Habs lose ?-4

That's been 6 Stanley Cup Finals, with at least 4 going to game 7. If Canadian teams won half that, 3, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Flames I believe got ripped off and should’ve won that cup.

But I’ll let them do the talking on that.

eliasjx

Apr 23, 2018
Vancouver
Flames I believe got ripped off and should’ve won that cup.

But I’ll let them do the talking on that.
Yeah, and if Roloson didn't get injured in game 1, Oilers probably would have beat the Canes in '06. Bad luck for Alberta teams in two consecutive finals..

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Animation was drawn by hand still (Toy Story came out in 95).

I was about to call BS on this because I was watching Reboot and Beast Wars as a kid but I just looked on Google and they respectively started in 94 and 96. Damn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad