The Last time A Canadian Team won the cup.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It's turned out to be a a bit of a curse. There's actually been 6 finals appearances since 93, which is around what you would expect, but they have lost them all, including 4 game 7s.

Actually though on average based on percentage of Canadian teams, there should be a Canadian team in the cup finals somewhere between once every 2 and 3 years, and winning once every 5ish years. Only 6 finals in 28 years is actually horrid as well lol...

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Netflix was -4 years old.

The Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Actually though on average based on percentage of Canadian teams, there should be a Canadian team in the cup finals somewhere between once every 2 and 3 years, and winning once every 5ish years. Only 6 finals in 28 years is actually horrid as well lol...

Forget the Stanley Cups... Canadian teams for some reason have been really bad post-lockout (can't speak for prior as I was too young).

Ottawa was a solid team early 2000's if I'm not mistaken? - then middling or rebuilding
Vancouver was a top team for a while with the Sedins - then rebuild
Montreal had one or two good years - then middling most of it
Toronto has been bad for most of it
Edmonton has been putrid for most of it - except that one year they made it to the finals???
Winnipeg has only been there for 10 years (and the Thrashers were... trash)
Calgary... what have they been?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Calgary 2004, Edmonton 2006, Vancouver 2011 came really close. Vancouver 94 played a hard fought series. Ottawa 07, Habs 2021 outclassed.

The 10s were bad for Canada

Reactions: Ringmaster

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Though it only happened last year (so it's not as bad as you would think at first glance).

There was still someone alive and drawing a veterans pension from the American Civil War.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The darkest time was from around 1995 to 2004.

When the exchange rate was hitting lows, while salaries were escalating at a crazy rate.

Nobody wanted to touch the Canadian teams at this time, and most of the Canadian teams were focused on survival, and were nowhere near the top of the payroll lists.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The last time that a Canadian team won the Cup, I wasn't even into hockey. Everything that I knew about it I learned from Blades of Steel. It was many years before I realized that it wasn't as much the blood sport as I was led to believe.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The irony is that the lockout was supposed to make Canadian teams MORE competitive.

ehhh serious question but how?
At least for Montreal and Toronto, a cap takes away their biggest advantage: money

Winnipeg was not a team at the time.

idk how financially strong the other canadian teams are though

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Forget the Stanley Cups... Canadian teams for some reason have been really bad post-lockout (can't speak for prior as I was too young).

Ottawa was a solid team early 2000's if I'm not mistaken? - then middling or rebuilding
Vancouver was a top team for a while with the Sedins - then rebuild
Montreal had one or two good years - then middling most of it
Toronto has been bad for most of it
Edmonton has been putrid for most of it - except that one year they made it to the finals???
Winnipeg has only been there for 10 years (and the Thrashers were... trash)
Calgary... what have they been?

The irony is that the lockout was supposed to make Canadian teams MORE competitive.
ehhh serious question but how?
At least for Montreal and Toronto, a cap takes away their biggest advantage: money

Winnipeg was not a team at the time.

idk how financially strong the other canadian teams are though

The cap was not about parity, but people thought that having a cap would have bring costs down for payroll, and in turn help the small market Canadian teams. But we still have NTCs/NMCs, and to be frank, awful drafting. That has hurt. The Canadian media also brutal, and people don't want to deal with that.

Reactions: abo9

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The darkest time was from around 1995 to 2004.

When the exchange rate was hitting lows, while salaries were escalating at a crazy rate.

Nobody wanted to touch the Canadian teams at this time, and most of the Canadian teams were focused on survival, and were nowhere near the top of the payroll lists.
As a refresher, of course, Quebec left in 95, Winnipeg left in 96, the Oilers and Senators came perilously close to death, and if the Oilers had gone, there was some belief that the Flames wouldn't outlive them for long. A few unlucky turns of history and we might've been staring at an NHL landscape with only Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver having survived the 90s.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Notable financial realities that have absolutely made it harder for Canadian teams to win the cup:

- the emergence of NYR, Detroit, and Colorado as really big spenders, and NJ and Dallas as big-ish spenders due to the success they were having, coupled with a declining Canadian dollar from the early 90s until the early-mid 00s. Toronto was the only Canadian team that could compete with this spending.

- a lockout and complete change of rules through the salary cap, that completely negated the strengthened Canadian dollar of the time, thus putting Canadian teams at substantial disadvantages because of very low cap figures since the cap came into effect.

It's still an anomaly that Canada hasn't crowned a cup champion since then when on average they should every 4-5 seasons, but there are undisputable financial reasons that have contributed tremendously to the drought.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As a refresher, of course, Quebec left in 95, Winnipeg left in 96, the Oilers and Senators came perilously close to death, and if the Oilers had gone, there was some belief that the Flames wouldn't outlive them for long. A few unlucky turns of history and we might've been staring at an NHL landscape with only Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver having survived the 90s.

Vancouver was also bleeding money, and was owned by an American at the time. There was some talk about the team being in trouble, but there was no formal report linking them to relocation.

What is do remember is Brian Burke during a press conference who kept repeating that it would only take one phone call to relocate this team.

Molson sold the habs in the early 2000s, and even they could not find a local buyer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad