TV: The Last of Us (HBO)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They aren't going to ask her because they fully intend on going through with the procedure regardless of what she says.
Intending on going through with it regardless of her answer is why they could've afforded to ask her. If you're a parent and your kid is going to do what you say whether he wants to or not, are you going to order him or convince him to choose to do it? Marlene could've made things go more smoothly and eased her own conscience by giving Ellie a choice (or the illusion of one).

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
They could've easily gone with a half truth. "There's a high risk that you might not survive this surgery. Are you still willing to do it?" We know she would've consented.
If she knew she'd be in essence sacrificing Joel as well, maybe not.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm honestly more interested on what they do with the 2nd game. I'm expecting much more drastic differences in the storytelling, pacing etc. While in this season it was, for the most part, just a linear copy of the video game with some adaptations to make it more suited for a TV show. I can't see the story of part 2 working out at all on a TV show if they just told it as it's told on the video game.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
i enjoyed the show a fair bit, but honestly it's just a zombie show, with non-spectacular writing/story, with admittedly good acting and production values.
disagree, compared to The Walking Dead it's Shakespeare.
It's not all that original of a plot or story, for sure; but lot's of nuances in the writing and themes that stretched beyond the medium it was presented in (which was a cliche zombie story), brought out even more by great performances and production values

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I absolutely loved this show. I never played the game but I was enthralled with The Last of Us right from the beginning.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
How did she see the Giraffes after betting boosted up. She had to run like 200 feet and up stairs to finally see its head

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Got my mom hooked on the show she loved it, she has not played the game.

she can''t for season 2.

AS somebody that knows what's coming in season 2 I wonder if that will change

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Drukmann said that they’ll be following the plot of the second game faithfully
Could be a misdirect. I was reading an article that said there would be both minor and major changes.

Since the 2nd video game will be split into two seasons, hopefully the big controversial moment in the game will take place towards the end of season 2 (if it happens at all) as opposed to the beginning of the season as it does in the game.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Could be a misdirect. I was reading an article that said there would be both minor and major changes.

Since the 2nd video game will be split into two seasons, hopefully the big controversial moment in the game will take place towards the end of season 2 (if it happens at all) as opposed to the beginning of the season as it does in the game.
I’ll be really surprised if it isn’t in episode 1

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Just finished watching this, I haven't played the game. This was a good one, but not as good as it was hyped. Overall the plot was good, but it felt too much like a console game when it comes to plot structure. Like there was a sequence of discussions, followed by an action scene. Something I would expect in a console game, but not in a tv shows. But I also understand if they wanted to follow the plot of the game.

One thing I noticed: Ellie saw Mortal Kombat II game in one of the first episodes, I think she said something like "I've heard this was a good game". Then later on it's shown that she played it in the mall before she was bitten. A script mistake or did I just misheard that one?

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Just finished watching this, I haven't played the game. This was a good one, but not as good as it was hyped. Overall the plot was good, but it felt too much like a console game when it comes to plot structure. Like there was a sequence of discussions, followed by an action scene. Something I would expect in a console game, but not in a tv shows. But I also understand if they wanted to follow the plot of the game.

One thing I noticed: Ellie saw Mortal Kombat II game in one of the first episodes, I think she said something like "I've heard this was a good game". Then later on it's shown that she played it in the mall before she was bitten. A script mistake or did I just misheard that one?
I didn't notice it, but it was probably intentional by the writers for her to be coy/aloof about it. Pretty good non chronological callback tbh.

I think they did a pretty good job blending the video game feel with big hollywood series production

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I went back and watched and she said, "You ever play this one? I had a friend who knew everything about this game. There's this one character Mileena who takes off her mask and she has monster teeth and then she swallows you whole and barfs out your bones." So, you did mishear, but I think that most of us similarly assumed at that point that she hadn't played it.

Reactions: Kahvi

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Just finished watching the first season.

It was decent. Honestly, not very many characters I could connect with. They either came and went too quickly, or just weren't portrayed with any real depth. Nick Offerman's character was probably the best one.

I felt there were a lot of uninteresting lulls.

For me, it's kind of a mid-tier show.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Honestly, not very many characters I could connect with. They either came and went too quickly, or just weren't portrayed with any real depth. Nick Offerman's character was probably the best one.
Offerman was great. The first part is the same kind of feeling I had, probably because it followed the game closely.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Offerman was great. The first part is the same kind of feeling I had, probably because it followed the game closely.

Makes sense. I started playing the game when it came out, but never finished it. It's too linear and I think I just got bored with Naughty Dog's linear 3rd person games, having gone through Uncharted 1-3 at the time.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Makes sense. I started playing the game when it came out, but never finished it. It's too linear and I think I just got bored with Naughty Dog's linear 3rd person games, having gone through Uncharted 1-3 at the time.

I meant to say that I haven't played the game, but it seemed game-like. You walk, you meet people, there's some interaction and then you continue walking. Works in a game but not so much in a TV show.

"linear" is a good description I think. I'm thinking about watching The Road again, because I liked that and if was kinda similar setting, to see if there was something more in there that made it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersnorth

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I meant to say that I haven't played the game, but it seemed game-like. You walk, you meet people, there's some interaction and then you continue walking. Works in a game but not so much in a TV show.

"linear" is a good description I think. I'm thinking about watching The Road again, because I liked that and if was kinda similar setting, to see if there was something more in there that made it better.

The protagonists and suspense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad