TV: The Last of Us (HBO)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Joel did give Ellie a choice. He offered to take her back to Tommy and she turned it down because they'd come so far and she didn't want it to be for nothing.
And despite what she said, he took her back to Tommy. :sarcasm:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It was always controversial, but I'd say most liked it. I remember when I played it it caught me so off guard but I loved it. Had me thinking about it for a long time after. 2nd one had me thinking even longer tho, can't wait to see the reactions to that
I dont recall anyone every saying anything bad about the first game.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
As a non-gamer (of the game), that was a dud. Really unsatisfying finale and to a degree, season.
well Im not sure they originally had a 2nd game planned. that was just suppose to be the ending.

Good behind the scenes 30 minute "making of" documentary on hBO Max for those interested
thats pretty cool I think Ill check that out when it releases on bluray. not sure if its available on Crave

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He didn't just stop the procedure to wait for Ellie to decide, he murdered the surgeon! He killed Marlene to stop her from coming after Ellie in the future. He invented a lie cover story to tell Ellie after the fact, and built into that lie are statements designed to make Ellie think there's no point in going down that route again. He told her there were others like her, dozens. He told her that they had stopped looking for a cure. He intentionally set up a narrative where she wouldn't have incentive to try something like that again. Through all these actions, he took away Ellie's choice - just as Marlene had done.
I can see that. It just wasn't clear because I was talking about Marlene giving her a choice before the surgery and you responded that she and Joel did "in that moment."
Marlene knew that Ellie would likely have said yes, but she wasn't going to take the risk that the answer was no and something goes wrong.
I can't speak for Jussi, but I brought it up because it didn't make sense to me for her to take no chances with Ellie and then take a huge chance with Joel. She could've prevented her plan from catastrophically backfiring by taking either a small chance by asking Ellie or no chances with Joel. Releasing Joel was the bigger issue, but it might not have been if Ellie had agreed to the procedure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
I can't speak for Jussi, but I brought it up because it didn't make sense to me for her to take no chances with Ellie and then take a huge chance with Joel. She could've prevented her plan from catastrophically backfiring by taking either a small chance by asking Ellie or no chances with Joel. Releasing Joel before the surgery was complete was the bigger issue, but it might not have been if Ellie had agreed to the procedure.
I think Marlene made a massive miscalculation about how important Ellie was to Joel. This was not the same man she left in Boston. I don't think she had any idea he would create a mass rampage through the hospital for her.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think Marlene made a massive miscalculation about how important Ellie was to Joel. This was not the same man she left in Boston. I don't think she had any idea he would create a mass rampage through the hospital for her.
Until she spoke with him, I'm sure that that was the case. The first thing that he did when he woke, though, was ask how and where she was, then he insisted on seeing her, then he got up in her face and yelled that he wanted to see her "RIGHT NOW!" Finally, she said that she had no choice and he, on the floor, responded that he did. At that point, she should've been able to tell how much Ellie meant to him and that he was a threat.

Last edited:

Walkingthroughforest

Aug 19, 2007
Until she spoke with him, I'm sure that that was the case. The first thing that he did when he woke, though, was ask how and where she was, then he insisted on seeing her, then he got up in her face and yelled that he wanted to see her "RIGHT NOW!" Finally, she said that she had no choice and he, on the floor, responded that he did. At that point, she should've been able to tell how much Ellie meant to him and that he was a threat.
I agree, but I also think that Marlene could never have guessed that Joel would put his needs over the needs of every single other person in the world, even if he was this upset. It was a miscalculation about someone she thought she knew.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it should have been 12 episodes. It really would have done well to have more exploration of the characters, particularly the secondary ones. Some of them came and went so quickly it felt rushed. I would bet they just couldn't commit to such a massivr budget right out of the gate, especially since there were still in covid protocol and there were new massive sets every week. I imagine s2 will have more room for story and perhaps more time in each place. That said, I know nothing about the game so I could be way off.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree, but I also think that Marlene could never have guessed that Joel would put his needs over the needs of every single other person in the world, even if he was this upset. It was a miscalculation about someone she thought she knew.
I don't know about all that. If Marlene knew Joel well she'd know he's skeptical of the idea of a cure and that he only keeps going for the people he cares about, e.g. Tommy and Tess to the best of her knowledge.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The finale for the LOU was a bit of a letdown.

It was fine but felt far too short and end was a bit too abrupt.

I also think hospital scene could have been done better though it was enjoyable watching Joel essentially be the video game character he is (Picking up guns off of the dead to go and kill next guy, etc)

I think 15-20 more minutes would have been better with additional scenes at hospital and maybe a little more at conclusion scene.

Honestly was weakest episode of 9

Walkingthroughforest

Aug 19, 2007
I don't know about all that. If Marlene knew Joel well she'd know he's skeptical of the idea of a cure and that he only keeps going for the people he cares about, e.g. Tommy and Tess to the best of her knowledge.
Yeah but I don’t think she gets it. I don’t think she would have expected Joel to destroy the world for this girl, or be able to take down the entire army of fireflies if he chose to do so.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Overall I loved it and I think they nailed the feel and themes of the game. The two main actors were fantastic and stayed true to the characters while also bringing a bit of a different nuance to them.

I understand the criticisms of it feeling a bit rushed. I feel like the finale could have maybe been an hour and a half and like was suggested earlier have Joel and Ellie dealing with infected only to have the fireflies come and save them. As a whole I like the infected taking a back seat, but they could have been used a bit more in the finale.

I still love the ending. One of my favourite endings ever game or tv show.

I wonder what the plan for season 2 will be. Will they wait a couple years to let Ellie’s actor age up a bit?

Reactions: Fripp

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
I didn't mind the ending or execution of the last 10 or so minutes, but the episode as a whole might have felt the most flat and least climatic of the whole season. Pretty much every episode for me was an A- or better, this was like a B

But still my favorite new show since Stranger Things, for sure

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Overall I loved it and I think they nailed the feel and themes of the game. The two main actors were fantastic and stayed true to the characters while also bringing a bit of a different nuance to them.

I understand the criticisms of it feeling a bit rushed. I feel like the finale could have maybe been an hour and a half and like was suggested earlier have Joel and Ellie dealing with infected only to have the fireflies come and save them. As a whole I like the infected taking a back seat, but they could have been used a bit more in the finale.

I still love the ending. One of my favourite endings ever game or tv show.

I wonder what the plan for season 2 will be. Will they wait a couple years to let Ellie’s actor age up a bit?

Bella Ramsay is already 19. She was wearing a binder for 90% of season 1 I read in an article in an effort to look younger in s1. I don't think they'd need to wait to make her older.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Overall I think I am hovering between like an 8.5 and a 9. Think I will settle on a 9 but I really do feel like the ending was rushed out and at bare minimum needed one more episode to truly stick the landing. The David plot needed more room to breath. Overall really happy with the season. Next couple seasons are the real hard work though as I think the 2nd game is going to be far far more difficult to adapt to TV.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
They really should have fleshed out the Joel and Ellie relationship a lot more throughout the season. I have never played the game/know nothing about it, and I just felt the over all finale was pretty flat. At the end I just said to myself "thats it?". Didn't really feel any tension or suspense at all. Feel like there was barely any talk about vaccines or a cure throughout the entire season, and then the finale's main point is about that.

Probably give the season an 8/10 as a whole. Not bad, but I've seen a lot of shows that I rate better than this season.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The very end was fine and the bit with the Giraffes was well-done, especially to give way to that conversation in the ravages of the hospital. I thought the rest was rather weak though. The pacing between the makeshift hospital and the fireflies hospital felt clunky. The first flashback doesn't work because whatever emotional weight was meant to be added to Marlene's decision doesn't pay off because Marlene's coldness can't sell it. The Joel Wick montage just felt video-gamey and the fact that Marlene let him walk away after his initial protests just seemed like plot armor (admittedly something that's been recurring with the show).

Fun watch though. Looking forward to season 2.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
They really should have fleshed out the Joel and Ellie relationship a lot more throughout the season. I have never played the game/know nothing about it, and I just felt the over all finale was pretty flat. At the end I just said to myself "thats it?". Didn't really feel any tension or suspense at all. Feel like there was barely any talk about vaccines or a cure throughout the entire season, and then the finale's main point is about that.

Probably give the season an 8/10 as a whole. Not bad, but I've seen a lot of shows that I rate better than this season.

Yea the tension was inconsistent overall. I thought it was A+ in the first episode and the steakhouse scene
The very end was fine and the bit with the Giraffes was well-done, especially to give way to that conversation in the ravages of the hospital. I thought the rest was rather weak though. The pacing between the makeshift hospital and the fireflies hospital felt clunky. The first flashback doesn't work because whatever emotional weight was meant to be added to Marlene's decision doesn't pay off because Marlene's coldness can't sell it. The Joel Wick montage just felt video-gamey and the fact that Marlene let him walk away after his initial protests just seemed like plot armor (admittedly something that's been recurring with the show).

Fun watch though. Looking forward to season 2.

Yea good point on Marlene. She did struggle to sell the payoff.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bella Ramsay is already 19. She was wearing a binder for 90% of season 1 I read in an article in an effort to look younger in s1. I don't think they'd need to wait to make her older.
I didn’t realize she was 19. She really did feel young in this season. I guess it has been a couple years since they filmed it too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought it was interesting how they shot and presented the scene of Joel taking out all the fireflies. The guy was a stone cold killer, but it wasn't the loud action scene you'd expect it to be. Just an interesting piece of production.

I guess the big questions become, how is season 2 presented and does it stick almost exactly to the source material? I wonder if they shoot it in two separate phases. I don't think they need to let Bella Ramsay age up on purpose because it's already going to like 2 years before we see it anyways.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I thought it was interesting how they shot and presented the scene of Joel taking out all the fireflies. The guy was a stone cold killer, but it wasn't the loud action scene you'd expect it to be. Just an interesting piece of production.

I guess the big questions become, how is season 2 presented and does it stick almost exactly to the source material? I wonder if they shoot it in two separate phases. I don't think they need to let Bella Ramsay age up on purpose because it's already going to like 2 years before we see it anyways.
She's 19. She's likely not going to change much until her 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad