The Josh Anderson Thread

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I finally found the link to the "trade request". After reading the article, I have a couple of comments:
  1. The 150k number comes from AP, meaning I barely think it's even worth mentioning. Assuming he's not lying is ass off, he's being fed. That means the person feeding him the information could very well have an agenda.
  2. We really don't know if a trade request has been asked for. I'll say it again, Friedman is a complete hack. I trust AP more than him and that isn't much. Maybe there is another source, but that's the first thing I found in this thread. If it's just Friedman and a bunch of other hacks feeding off of him, I would have added "speculation" instead of making it look like fact in the title.
This has certainly went on far longer than it probably should have. Instead of making assumptions off of rumor mongers, let's just deal with what we know. That isn't much, but it's sure better than overreacting.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
If Jarmo's insisting on a third year, but not willing to raise the AAV for that third year, he's lowballing him. If Anderson wants the AAV he'd get on a three-year deal on a two-year deal, he's being unrealistic. I don't know which is the case so I'm going to refrain from taking sides until I know more of the facts.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think the problem is more on the other side, that fans take items from something called "30 Thoughts" and assume they're facts.
You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I was the original "no" vote on Anderson poll question being in the lineup Opening Night. Dude has one year and acting like a diva. He has no leverage. Sign an offersheet or go to Europe or take Jarmos offer. Sitting out longer is only going to hurt him.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
that's how they get you.

If you think the players make a lot, you should see what the owners make!
I was just thinking this.... until I remembered Mr Mac losing millions of dollars/year for about a decade.

As to it being "only" 150k difference, who here would not find this negotiation tactic repugnant:
Agent: "We want 2 Billion for two years"
CBJFO: "Uh, how about 2.25M for three years"
Agent: (three weeks and numerous news leaks later) "OK. We will come down to 2.5M for three years"
Fifteen minutes later, leaks that they are only 150k apart, and the player is fed up and wants a trade.

In the end, I believe that contract negotiations held in private are not the best way to evaluate who-is-right-and-who-is-wrong. Too many nuances and unknowns.

I will feel bad for Josh if he is shut out of playing this season. It will damage a promising career. It will not hurt CBJ nearly as much, with several promising prospects ready to fight for the spot.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Anderson is not a talent to where he can dictate his price after his ELC. He has only so many years to play professional hockey. The market, and structure that is in place will only pay what it thinks you are worth now at this moment. If you are of franchise or better talent, yes you will be paid now.

He will lose money if he doesn't play in the NHL this season. Does he not see that his threat is shallow to a team that will plug the hole with another player/prospect?

I personally like his game and know that the Jackets do too, but he is not in the position to make demands. He has been given bad advice and the players that hire the asshole that is steering so many players wrong, should be let go by all of them.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Longer it drags the more I'm just ready for it to be over -- LOL -- between this and the Duchene rumors this off-season has felt a bit frustrating.

Like who cares who's fault it is at this point ... lets just get a deal DONE.

Reactions: We Want Ten
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I understand the sticking point is term, Ferris wants a 1 year deal @ 2 million because Anderson and the agent believe he can put up 25-30 goals this season. He would have arbitration rights and would be looking at 4-5 million next season. Columbus is offering about 1.85 million each year for THREE years. I understand it's about the longer term.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Longer it drags the more I'm just ready for it to be over -- LOL -- between this and the Duchene rumors this off-season has felt a bit frustrating.

Like who cares who's fault it is at this point ... lets just get a deal DONE.
I empathize, but that kind of frustration is exactly why these sorts of tactics sometimes bear fruit.

I am therefore channeling all my frustration into "WHY ISN'T IT OPENING NIGHT YET DAMNIT" ;)

Reactions: We Want Ten

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I empathize, but that kind of frustration is exactly why these sorts of tactics sometimes bear fruit.

I am therefore channeling all my frustration into "WHY ISN'T IT OPENING NIGHT YET DAMNIT" ;)

Haha fair enough...

Despite lineup concerns I'm pretty pumped as well. Looking at it as ... Time for the young bucks to shine :D

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sorry, calling Friedman a hack is ridiculous.

I've always appreciated such intellectually stimulating rebuttals. What might be ridiculous is someone using a bag over their head avatar after the season we had.

If this impacts Anderson's ice time and role this season, his agent will have done him a great disservice. I'm not really sure what is going on in the minds of the player and his agent, but he's not in camp and he's getting further and further behind. It's pretty rare to see something like this go one for a player in Anderson's situation.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've always appreciated such intellectually stimulating rebuttals. What might be ridiculous is someone using a bag over their head avatar after the season we had.

Apologies that my reply to your intellect packed, fact supported, and completely widespread opinion (oh wait) wasn't stimulating for you. Maybe you should look in the mirror.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Given Friedman's widespread reputation, you're kind of in the "exceptional claims require proof" category on this one.

I enjoy Friedman's commentary on different Sportsnet shows. The real problem is that he really seems to enjot sprculating using what he believes is logical. If course he does this on 30 Thoughts, but he often does this on live appearances and usually in stories that don't quote a source.

Here is Friedge's exactly wording:

"Josh Anderson, who remains unsigned eight days before the Columbus Blue Jackets begin their regular season, has requested a trade from the NHL club, although the club says that has not been conveyed to them..."

"...Anderson’s agent, Darren Ferris, said via text he would not comment.

Ferris has said he would send Anderson to Switzerland to practise with a team there while he waits for a new contract, but, at this time, I don’t know if that’s going to happen. If the Blue Jackets do decide to make a move, there would be a lot of interest. Teams like what Anderson brings."

Note there is none of his usual, an unnamed GM told me, or several well placed sources have advised me etc. When Elliotte Friedman says that, you can be sure it's real. Based on his wording, I would not be shocked if Friedman thinks Anderson probably requested a trade because well, it just makes sense to Elliotte.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
When news of the trade request leaked, the Columbus Blue Jackets did some public relations damage control and reached out to Friedman stressing they weren’t looking to trade Anderson, but Friedman got the impression that this could be a sign and trade situation since there is definite interest from the Colorado Avalanche as part of any Matt Duchene trade. Friedman did clarify that he did not hear the actual trade request from Anderson’s camp but that it was simply buzz that had traveled down the wire and Friedman reached out to the team for comment.

https://thehockeywriters.com/st-louis-blues-new-york-islanders-columbus-blue-jackets-rumors/

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The most I would offer him is a 3 year contract for $2 million per year. I wouldn't offer a contract of any other length. I definitely wouldn't offer a two year contract.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
No player is bigger than the team. The front office could be seen as 50 % of the team, along with the other 50% being the actual roster. The 40+ guys...not 1 or 2. This team is very good with or without Anderson. The wingers on the team are very good with or without Anderson. The bottom 6 is very good with or without Anderson. Both our scoring and toughness is good with or without Anderson. I don't think he makes as big of an impact as some seem to believe.

Calling Anderson a potential 25-30 goal guy is like calling Jenner a 30 goal guy. It can happen, but it is not likely. An argument could easily be made that Anderson will likely never hit 20, let alone 30 goals or play more than 78 games ever in his career. I mean this is a guy who couldn't hit 30 goals or PPG in the OHL. He is a big, or more so "heavy" player, good skater, with a pretty good shot (on the rush). His aggressiveness/toughness is obviously a big factor, and he has no issues getting into dangerous areas, but IMO, his hands and scoring touch around the net is really lacking. This is where my comparison to Jenner comes in. While 1 guy is a better skater and has a "better" shot at higher speeds the other guy has much better hands and scoring ability in close, IMO of course. Their offensive numbers will depend, and possibly vary quite a bit year to year, because of "usage" on the ice. I'd also like to add that Anderson, IMO, has the worst "vision" or passing of everybody on offense, if not the team, other than some "bubble" 12/13/14th forward type guys and Carlsson and Harrington. I think this shows in his 12 ES ASSISTS.

If the "consensus" is that the top 6 (healthy) will be some combo of : Panarin, Wennberg, Foligno, Dubinsky, Atkinson, Jenner/Dubois (2LW/3C) that leaves Bjorkstrand, Milano, Calvert, Sedlak, Schroeder, Motte and still 1 of Jenner/Dubois. That's at least 4 guys who are better offensively than Anderson. All quite different players, yes, but all could each "easily" top 15-20 goals (Jenner, Dubois, Bjorkstrand) or 30-35 points (Calvert/Milano). Schroeder and Motte, who obviously bring something different than Anderson, are both "very" skilled guys. I could argue at this point in time with our lack of "depth" centers that Sedlak, with capable defensive prowess for 3rd/4th line C minutes, is more valuable to this team than Anderson going forward. He's not good enough to deserve any PP minutes, shouldn't get much of any PK time IMO, not a center in any way, and is quite clearly not a "top 6" guy, now or in the (near) future. He's a guy with some average juniors seasons, 1 good year in the AHL, and 1 decent year on the 3rd line of a team that was and is very good on offense/wings and in general. Like many others feel, either he signs what is offered, or the team will move him, and/or move on. Like many others, I want him on this team, but don't feel we "need" him on this team. He may become a poor mans Saad on some other team, but on the CBJ he is a rich mans Tom Wilson. With all that said, give me MORE of this...

It would be interesting to know what all is brought up in this negotiation. I mean with the removal of Boll and Prout, Anderson could be seen as the de facto "enforcer". I would want no other guys (or him tbh) on the roster to try to tangle with a Stewart or Reaves or Boll or Prout etc. And I believe there is value in that. How much so, along with 17 ES GOALS?...I don't know. I thought we should've kept Boll and Dorsett so what do I know. And yes I even want MORE of this....

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The most I would offer him is a 3 year contract for $2 million per year. I wouldn't offer a contract of any other length. I definitely wouldn't offer a two year contract.
We offered 3 years at 1.8 . He turned that down . According to Twitter he then wanted a 1 yr deal for 750,000 which Jarmo won’t do . Kid is getting terrible advice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad