The Josh Anderson Thread

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Ferris can go to hell now. To have this out as a headline will really throw a wrench into the process.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Have to agree with CBJWennberg10 here.. If the difference in asks is only 150K a year on a 3 year deal, just pay him the extra 150K and get it done. Yes, we would be in a cap crunch in 2-3 years, but honestly.. I think we can survive without the "extra 1.5 K". I think the CBJ are making it slightly worse if we keep playing hardball over this supposed 1.5K. The distractions are rising, the negations seem to be getting harsher on both sides, and now there might be a trade request. I imagine a trade demand from Anderson lowers our leverage, considering he's an unsigned RFA that's a 3rd line winger currently..

Sign him, get him into camp, fine dine him around town again/apologize/make him feel more welcomed and get the season rolling.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Have to agree with CBJWennberg10 here.. If the difference in asks is only 150K a year on a 3 year deal, just pay him the extra 150K and get it done. Yes, we would be in a cap crunch in 2-3 years, but honestly.. I think we can survive without the "extra 1.5 K". I think the CBJ are making it slightly worse if we keep playing hardball over this supposed 1.5K. The distractions are rising, the negations seem to be getting harsher on both sides, and now there might be a trade request. I imagine a trade demand from Anderson lowers our leverage, considering he's an unsigned RFA that's a 3rd line winger currently..

So that would be an extra 7% or so. What if every other player the next two years think, "crap, if they will give in to Josh, they'll give in to me.". And Zach asked for $6 million instead of $5.2. Cam wants the same....it eventually becomes millions.

Keep your spine, Jarmo.

Reactions: CPTN71 and Jovavic

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So that would be an extra 7% or so. What if every other player the next two years think, "crap, if they will give in to Josh, they'll give in to me.". And Zach asked for $6 million instead of $5.2. Cam wants the same....it eventually becomes millions.

Keep your spine, Jarmo.

Spin your % however you want, it's only 150k.

Z will be a RFA, so we'll probably be back in this position anyway. Because you know.

Cam will be a UFA and will hold the cards. If he wants the millions increase you're hypothetically saying, then he walks. He's probably going to anyway.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Spin your % however you want, it's only 150k.

Z will be a RFA, so we'll probably be back in this position anyway. Because you know.

Cam will be a UFA and will hold the cards. If he wants the millions increase you're hypothetically saying, then he walks. He's probably going to anyway.
I prefer sticking to principle at this point. Ferris has been a jerkass many times before and somebody's got to tell him to ST*U.

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I prefer sticking to principle at this point. Ferris has been a jerkass many times before and somebody's got to tell him to ST*U.

Not trying to defend Ferris either. I completely agree with you. However, it's ridiculous that a trade request has happened when they're so close together and neither side will budge. Both sides are repulsive to me, however since people are defending the Jackets that's the one I have to talk about most of the time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Sign him, get him into camp, fine dine him around town again/apologize/make him feel more welcomed and get the season rolling.

don't forget eff him, which is where I'm at right now. Not knowing the exact numbers and offers on the table it is hard to say but other than major's opinion I know of no one else who sees him as invaluable. Guy had one okay season. To me he should play the game now and stick it to the Jackets later.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
don't forget eff him, which is where I'm at right now. Not knowing the exact numbers and offers on the table it is hard to say but other than major's opinion I know of no one else who sees him as invaluable. Guy had one okay season. To me he should play the game now and stick it to the Jackets later.
I think he's pretty valuable... but he's not worth this mishegaas.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Not trying to defend Ferris either. I completely agree with you. However, it's ridiculous that a trade request has happened when they're so close together and neither side will budge. Both sides are repulsive to me, however since people are defending the Jackets that's the one I have to talk about most of the time.
Anderson has to give to get. What is he going to give in return for the added $150k?

And $150,000 a year isn't nominal. Legitimately, the CBJ have given him a final offer. He can take it or leave it. The CBJ front office has gauged his value to the team and that's what they settled on.

The problem isn't the money, it's the fact that a young player is willing to just not play in the NHL and risk his career despite having an NHL contract offer. Nobody in their right mind would do that. Ask Gagner who faced not having a deal last summer. Ask Clarkson who is coaching a high school team. Ask the players who got cut from their PTO. If they got an offer to be able to play in the NHL, they wouldn't spurn it just because of the dollar amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Anderson has to give to get. What is he going to give in return for the added $150k?

And $150,000 a year isn't nominal. Legitimately, the CBJ have given him a final offer. He can take it or leave it. The CBJ front office has gauged his value to the team and that's what they settled on.

3 years with cost control.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
3 years with cost control.
They already would be getting that with their lower offer.

Anderson: Pay me $150,000 more per year.
CBJ: Ok, why?
Anderson: Because if you don't then I won't play for you.
CBJ: We would like you to play for us but are perfectly fine and prepared to replace you with Milano or Motte.

Anderson needs to add something else or give in.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Anderson: Pay me $150,000 more per year.
CBJ: Ok, why?
Anderson: Because if you don't then I won't play for you.
CBJ: We would like you to play for us but are perfectly fine and prepared to replace you with Milano or Motte.

Anderson needs to add something else or give in.

your points are valid. Anderson may need to budge too, and meet in the middle. Or he can get traded. Whatever happens happens.

However, if they believe motte or Milano fills in Anderson's role and are fine with that, they are grossly overplaying their hand. I like both players, but neither are close to what Anderson can bring.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
your points are valid. Anderson may need to budge too, and meet in the middle. Or he can get traded. Whatever happens happens.

However, if they believe motte or Milano fills in Anderson's role and are fine with that, they are grossly overplaying their hand. I like both players, but neither are close to what Anderson can bring.
I agree. This isn't the first time the CBJ have pulled this either. They did it with Derek Mackenzie and Mark Letestu too.

Mackenzie: Pay me more per year.
CBJ: Ok why?
Mackenzie: Because if you don't, I won't play for you.
CBJ: We would like you to play for us but are perfectly fine and prepared to replace you with players in our system (Chaput and Gibbons).

I believe the CBJ messed up on that one and I side with Derek Mackenzie.

So why the difference? Because Mackenzie and Letestu were UFA players who had offers from multiple teams. In both cases, the replacements weren't as good as the player leaving (and that could be true in this case). But the fact that the replacements weren't as good is not what is important to me. What's important is the position the players are in. For Mackenzie and Letestu, the players were right because they had a lot of leverage from being UFA's with multiple offers.

Here, Anderson is an RFA with no other (known) offers from NHL teams. I think if there's only 1 NHL contract, you have to go with that regardless of the dollar amount. So in this case, his camp is wrong.

Reactions: Viqsi and CPTN71

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
not to mention that if he doesn't do this deal now, he risks not playing in the NHL for at least 3 years.If he doesn't play does he still become a UFA at that point?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I think I posted this somewhere before the format change... Without reiterating that entire post --- Are we sure that they are $150k apart on a 3-yr deal? If its $150K difference over the same term, then IMO this deal gets done, and all will move on as if nothing happened. The trade request hasn't even been confirmed.

However, my understanding was that Anderson is insisting on a 2-yr deal at $150k more AAV ($2.05M) than JK is offering on a 3-yr deal. I'm not sure there is confirmation of that. Does anybody have anything on that side of the coin? On the flip side, it has seemed relatively clear that JK's position has been 1 yr QO, or 3-yr at something around $1.9M AAV. 2-yr deal has been a non-starter for JK.

Without reiterating the whys for 2-yr vs 3-yr term, if the parties' primary difference remains length of term then the continuation of the holdout (by both sides) at least has a more rationale explanation. I still want the deal done, and CBJ has the leverage, but at least there would be a rationale explanation, because a $150K gap has a relatively easy Solomon solution in which both sides win.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
There should be a law in this country. Any application that comes with a like button should also come with a "dislike" or "barf button"

Ferris wheel.............smh

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Considering the CBJ gave up a 2017 1st, a 2019 2nd and Karlsson to get rid of Clarkson and protect Anderson, I think $150,000 is a dumb hill to die for Jarmo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad