The Jets' RFAs in 2016

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets will try to go long term with Scheifele and Trouba. They don't have cap issues in the next couple of years, but might in 2-3 years when guys like Ehlers, Hellebuyck and Little need new contracts. Signing Scheifele and Trouba long term now increases the hit in the short term but probably decreases it later when they need the room. The only reason to bridge them is if you doubt their future role and performance, or if the players want huge average salaries on long term deals.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I think the Jets will try to go long term with Scheifele and Trouba. They don't have cap issues in the next couple of years, but might in 2-3 years when guys like Ehlers, Hellebuyck and Little need new contracts. Signing Scheifele and Trouba long term now increases the hit in the short term but probably decreases it later when they need the room. The only reason to bridge them is if you doubt their future role and performance, or if the players want huge average salaries on long term deals.

I don't see the Jets trying to re-sign Little when his contract is up.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I think Trouba will end up on a bridge and I think Scheifele gets a 6+ year contract.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I know people are high on Armia, but if we start next season with our 3rd line being Burmistrov-Lowry-Armia, this team isn't making the playoffs. Based off of his 8 points in 34 games, he should be starting next season with the Moose. As should Dano, Petan, Kosmachuk, De Leo, Lipon and Halischuk.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I know people are high on Armia, but if we start next season with our 3rd line being Burmistrov-Lowry-Armia, this team isn't making the playoffs. Based off of his 8 points in 34 games, he should be starting next season with the Moose. As should Dano, Petan, Kosmachuk, De Leo, Lipon and Halischuk.

I don't think Halischuk should start with the Moose next season.

I do wonder who'll be our 3C, though.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners

Well, if it ain't Auston Matthews, I might prefer Perreault in the 3C spot. This becomes especially true if we deepen our LW chart by Connor turning pro and re-signing Ladd.
On the other hand, if we need to keep Frenchie at LW, maybe Petan can grow into that 3C role.
I'm with many of you here in that I'd prefer Lowry at 4C or on the wing.
Just barely managed to keep this tangentially on topic by including that bit about Lowry! Ha.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't see the Jets trying to re-sign Little when his contract is up.

I think he'll be traded in his last year and probably in late February. I wouldn't re-sign him, at that age, to a long contract but someone will.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
6 x 5.9m per year and I think Scheifele is a better player and he will get around 52m for 8 years.

Barkov is 2.5 years younger. I love Scheif but no. AINEC. When mark was Barkov's age he was just starting his rookie year. Barkov is already scoring at a higher rate.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Barkov is 2.5 years younger. I love Scheif but no. AINEC. When mark was Barkov's age he was just starting his rookie year. Barkov is already scoring at a higher rate.

They actually score at a remarkably similar rate.

Barkov
15/16 50GP 20G 22A 42P (.84 PPG)
Career 175GP 44G 58A 102P (.58 PPG)

Scheifele
15/16 55GP 21G 21A 41P (.75 PPG)
Career 211GP 50G 76A 126P (.60 PPG)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd take Scheifele over Barkov every day of the week and twice on Sundays...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

My hope is that Burmi continues to come around. MP should be 3C but he will be needed at 2LW. Alternatively maybe Lowry rebounds. 3rd line should be Connor - xxx - Armia/Dano.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
I think he'll be traded in his last year and probably in late February. I wouldn't re-sign him, at that age, to a long contract but someone will.

Why wouldn't you re-sign Little? He will be 30. We're going to need some veteran presence up front with all these young guys coming up. If we're trading Little at the deadline for prospects and picks two years from now then this regime is out the door. If we want to win a Stanley Cup we're going to need guys like Little, Wheeler and Buff to balance out the youth.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They actually score at a remarkably similar rate.

Barkov
15/16 50GP 20G 22A 42P (.84 PPG)
Career 175GP 44G 58A 102P (.58 PPG)

Scheifele
15/16 55GP 21G 21A 41P (.75 PPG)
Career 211GP 50G 76A 126P (.60 PPG)

Not if you compare at similar ages but I meant that Barkov has leapfrogged Scheifele this year in spite of Scheif having an outstanding year. That makes it quite a gap in Barkov's favour. Scheif is playing at 1C level. :) Barkov is playing at 'emerging' elite 1C level.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Why wouldn't you re-sign Little? He will be 30. We're going to need some veteran presence up front with all these young guys coming up. If we're trading Little at the deadline for prospects and picks two years from now then this regime is out the door. If we want to win a Stanley Cup we're going to need guys like Little, Wheeler and Buff to balance out the youth.

He'll be 31 when the contract expires. How much would you give Little after two more seasons.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Not if you compare at similar ages but I meant that Barkov has leapfrogged Scheifele this year in spite of Scheif having an outstanding year. That makes it quite a gap in Barkov's favour. Scheif is playing at 1C level. :) Barkov is playing at 'emerging' elite 1C level.

Numbers are numbers. They score at a remarkably similar rate.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
He'll be 31 when the contract expires. How much would you give Little after two more seasons.

My hope specifically with Little and Wheeler (and possibly Myers), is that when their deals are up in 2-3 years, that they want to stick around because the team is playing well and they feel like they have a legitimate chance.

I think if we get to the point where Little and Wheeler play out their deals, and we deal them at the TD, or hold on to them and get nothing, that it likely puts the remainder of the team back a step where we likely don't have the depth to compete.

I'm hoping that when their deals are up that the team is competing, so they would be willing to sign 3-4 year deals, and not necessarily needing 6-8 year deals.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
In July of 2017, assuming he's typical Little next season, I'd extend Bryan Little 5M for 5 years. We can't lose a guy like him and hope some prospects fill out the top 6 in a year we plan on contending. do we really want to have an average age of 24 in 2018-2019?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
My hope is that Burmi continues to come around. MP should be 3C but he will be needed at 2LW. Alternatively maybe Lowry rebounds. 3rd line should be Connor - xxx - Armia/Dano.

I think that ship sailed, no?

Three big RFA's

one guy playing great, getting better every year, great attitude, face of the franchise

one guy played great in rookie year, minimal improvement year to year, not sure if he even wants to be here, trade-able

one guy who showed promise in his rookie year, huge sophomore slump, big, needs to show a lot more for any kind of long term contract

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Burmi has been better lately, except for passing the puck to the D when he was in the slot on a PP and should have taken the shot.
One of the bottom three lines is going to break out tonight. Could be his.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Numbers are numbers. They score at a remarkably similar rate.

Even taking 3rd year in the NHL as being the same for both (which I don't) it is Scheif .75, Barkov .84. Not a huge difference but enough to be significant, about 12%. Give Scheif 88% of Barkov's contract and it is 6x5.192. Coincidentally that's right in the ballpark of what I have been suggesting (didn't do the arithmetic until just now, honest).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Don't rush him. He'll be 30. I think it will be similar to Ladd and Buff in that term will be the critical factor. Assuming he is still playing well of course.

Little 3-4 [email protected], MP [email protected], Wheeler will be 32, almost 33 2@6. All assuming they haven't declined much and depending on what the cap does and influenced by what big raises we are giving our young players coming off ELCs. Just by the seat of my pants those numbers look about right to me from this far in advance.

There are lots of players who continue to play well quite far into their 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad