The Jets' RFAs in 2016

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think that ship sailed, no?

Three big RFA's

one guy playing great, getting better every year, great attitude, face of the franchise

one guy played great in rookie year, minimal improvement year to year, not sure if he even wants to be here, trade-able

one guy who showed promise in his rookie year, huge sophomore slump, big, needs to show a lot more for any kind of long term contract

No. He has been playing much better the last 10 games or so. I'm not saying I'm sold on him or that he has turned the corner yet but there are hopeful signs.

More likely he is a 4th liner next year and gone the year after but the improvement is enough to hold the decision a while longer.

Depending on this draft we may have to choose between a hole at top 6 LW or a hole at 3C. If MP plays LW we have a couple of this year's disappointments who may bounce back next year and fill the 3C hole.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't rush him. He'll be 30. I think it will be similar to Ladd and Buff in that term will be the critical factor. Assuming he is still playing well of course.

Little 3-4 [email protected], MP [email protected], Wheeler will be 32, almost 33 2@6. All assuming they haven't declined much and depending on what the cap does and influenced by what big raises we are giving our young players coming off ELCs. Just by the seat of my pants those numbers look about right to me from this far in advance.

There are lots of players who continue to play well quite far into their 30s.

I think now that the organization has gone all in on the youth re-signing vets will be on a case by case basis. A lot will depend on contract demands and if the team has moved closer to a win now point. And as you pointed it will also be highly dependent on the contract demands of the RFA's as they move past their ELC's. Future contracts are the biggest reason I'd like to see Scheif and Trouba signed long term. Better to spread out the cap hit starting now rather than having higher hits when they are more likely to need the cap space.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think now that the organization has gone all in on the youth re-signing vets will be on a case by case basis. A lot will depend on contract demands and if the team has moved closer to a win now point. And as you pointed it will also be highly dependent on the contract demands of the RFA's as they move past their ELC's. Future contracts are the biggest reason I'd like to see Scheif and Trouba signed long term. Better to spread out the cap hit starting now rather than having higher hits when they are more likely to need the cap space.

With all the young players who will join the team in the next couple of years we will need to keep the best of our veteran players to go with them. We don't want them being lead by depth players.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
With all the young players who will join the team in the next couple of years we will need to keep the best of our veteran players to go with them. We don't want them being lead by depth players.

I totally agree. Wheeler and Little are the two musts IMO. With Perreault its conditional, and I can't see many scenarios where Stafford stays, I wonder what his trade value would be this summer. (Setoguchi got Minny a 2nd round pick :badidea:)

I wold love to see all the scenarios of rosters Chevy has drawn up for the future. What a job. No wonder we all play GM all day while we should be doing our jobs (speak for myself, right?) :naughty:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
In July of 2017, assuming he's typical Little next season, I'd extend Bryan Little 5M for 5 years. We can't lose a guy like him and hope some prospects fill out the top 6 in a year we plan on contending. do we really want to have an average age of 24 in 2018-2019?

So, with one year left on his contract, you want to give a 30 year old a five year extension to take him until he is 36? No thanks.

Mortimer, when he starts the season, he is 2 months away from his birthday so he is closer to 31 than 30. I think we get more bang for our buck with MP than Little and who knows if Chevy re-signs either with all the young talent coming up.
As far as not having any experience, by the end of next season Scheif will have 4 years in and we will also have Wheeler, Perreault, Buff, Trouba and Myers as vets.
The management is building a core of players and hoping they all come together and become perennial playoff performers. They're building it the right way.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I totally agree. Wheeler and Little are the two musts IMO. With Perreault its conditional, and I can't see many scenarios where Stafford stays, I wonder what his trade value would be this summer. (Setoguchi got Minny a 2nd round pick :badidea:)

I wold love to see all the scenarios of rosters Chevy has drawn up for the future. What a job. No wonder we all play GM all day while we should be doing our jobs (speak for myself, right?) :naughty:

I dunno' about Stafford. He probably has more value this off-season than he would have at next TD but do we want to trade him before next year? Depending on our first draft pick and the possible readiness of some of our prospects we could be short of top 6 wingers next year. If Chevy trades Stafford does that mean we are tanking again next year? He is probably the best trade bait we have other than players we would rather keep. I wonder what he would bring?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So, with one year left on his contract, you want to give a 30 year old a five year extension to take him until he is 36? No thanks.

Mortimer, when he starts the season, he is 2 months away from his birthday so he is closer to 31 than 30. I think we get more bang for our buck with MP than Little and who knows if Chevy re-signs either with all the young talent coming up.
As far as not having any experience, by the end of next season Scheif will have 4 years in and we will also have Wheeler, Perreault, Buff, Trouba and Myers as vets.
The management is building a core of players and hoping they all come together and become perennial playoff performers. They're building it the right way.

His contract expires June 30. He will be 4 1/2 months shy of 31. He will be 30. The first season of his new contract will be his 31 YO season. If it is a 3 year contract he will be 33 when it expires. Can't be any plainer than that. MP is less than 2 mos. younger than Little. He is smaller and plays a style that pounds his body more than Little's style. I don't think we see little taking as many hits as MP takes. No way to know for certain of course but I would put my money on Perreault having a shorter career than Little. Perreault loses a lot more games to injury than Little does.

But I think they are both players we want to keep as long as their contract demands are not excessive and as long as their standards of play remains high. Little, Wheeler and Perreault would be the veterans making up only 1/3 of our top 9. I don't think we want fewer than that. Scheifele is finishing his 3rd season so he is experienced, a young veteran. All the rest of our forwards will have 1 or 2 years experience when MP's contract expires or 1 to 3 when Littles contract expires. That includes the 4th line as well so counting Scheif it is 4 experienced players out of 12.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

No but they will transition away from the older core players as the young core takes over the key roles. There is just not enough money to go around. If the older players are still effective with reasonable contract demands for their support roles I see a few sticking around. But if the current 23 y/o and younger group develops as hoped most of our financial resources will go to keep the young core together. We are already discussing $5-6 M or more on long term deals for Scheif and Trouba. You will now have a steady stream of top future players coming off ELC's. If any of Ehlers, Connor or this year's first really break out how much does that cost?

Best case from a team perspective but worst from a cap perspective. Let's say we luck into Matthews and he turns out to be an elite #1C and is a PPG guy at 21 coming off his ELC. How much does that cost? You are now fighting off $8-10 M AAV offer sheets. These are best case scenarios but you don't plan on going into a full scale youth movement without planning on a way to hold them together as they hit their primes.

I think eventually it will be Scheif that is considered the veteran leadership on the team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No but they will transition away from the older core players as the young core takes over the key roles. There is just not enough money to go around. If the older players are still effective with reasonable contract demands for their support roles I see a few sticking around. But if the current 23 y/o and younger group develops as hoped most of our financial resources will go to keep the young core together. We are already discussing $5-6 M or more on long term deals for Scheif and Trouba. You will now have a steady stream of top future players coming off ELC's. If any of Ehlers, Connor or this year's first really break out how much does that cost?

Best case from a team perspective but worst from a cap perspective. Let's say we luck into Matthews and he turns out to be an elite #1C and is a PPG guy at 21 coming off his ELC. How much does that cost? You are now fighting off $8-10 M AAV offer sheets. These are best case scenarios but you don't plan on going into a full scale youth movement without planning on a way to hold them together as they hit their primes.

I think eventually it will be Scheif that is considered the veteran leadership on the team.

I agree. See the post just above your last one. Scheif has 3 years in now. But I am talking 1 and 2 years from now being down to MP, Little, Wheeler and the rest are made up of Scheifele and younger.

Managing the contracts is going to be difficult. Some will have to get bridge deals. Some may have to be traded. But I think that with fewer veterans than that we run the risk of Oiling. It will be important to watch the term and trade restrictions as well as the salaries. It is entirely possible that none of those veteran players will accept the contracts I am suggesting offering them. In that case some other solution will need to be found.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Olli Maata 6 years, 24,498,000

reported demands from Trouba 8 years, 56,000,000 ??????

Something isn't right here. Both of these guys are top 4 D with top 2 potential. Very much, similar value by all accounts. Are the Jets ready to stand pat, either wait him out or match an offer sheet? Compensation would likely be a 1,2,3 round picks.

It looks more and more like the Jets will continue to be in rebuild mode next year, so I would wait it out for something in the 7x5m range. In any case this looks like it could get ugly.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Something isn't right here.

What isn't right is that report came from Tim Cambell and was quickly laughed at by Trouba's representatives.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yes, I'm sure (I hope) the numbers are off. But I'm still a little leary after the Kane, Bogo deals that were gross overpayments in my opinion. Hopefully Chevy has learned his lesson.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, I'm sure (I hope) the numbers are off. But I'm still a little leary after the Kane, Bogo deals that were gross overpayments in my opinion. Hopefully Chevy has learned his lesson.

I think they were pretty good deals, all things considered. The Jets were able to trade both of them in one trade and get a very good contract back with Myers.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think overall Chevy has done pretty well on RFA deals. The 1st summer he got Wheeler and Bogo on nice 2 year bridge deals. Kane's 6 year $5.25 turned out to be a bit of an over pay but was certainly movable. Then a couple summers back when we had all the RFA's come due Chevy did really well getting Little at $4.7, Wheeler at $5.6 and not bad getting Bogo at $5.1 (again an easily movable contract for a young 2nd pairing D-man).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Something isn't right here. Both of these guys are top 4 D with top 2 potential. Very much, similar value by all accounts. Are the Jets ready to stand pat, either wait him out or match an offer sheet? Compensation would likely be a 1,2,3 round picks.

It looks more and more like the Jets will continue to be in rebuild mode next year, so I would wait it out for something in the 7x5m range. In any case this looks like it could get ugly.

What isn't right is that report came from Tim Cambell and was quickly laughed at by Trouba's representatives.

So A) It is an incorrect report. B) It is an opening bargaining position. Doesn't mean squat. You start off asking for the Sun and Moon and stars.

I think they were pretty good deals, all things considered. The Jets were able to trade both of them in one trade and get a very good contract back with Myers.

The bolded.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm a little surprised to hear you guys defend the Kane/Bogo contracts. I didn't like either one of them, particularly Bogosian. He's continued to be a complete mess in Buffalo with the exception of the last week or so and the injuries have continued. The fact we were able to move them just means we were fortunate.

At least Trouba has been quite durable .......when he isn't faceplanting himself into the endboards.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm a little surprised to hear you guys defend the Kane/Bogo contracts. I didn't like either one of them, particularly Bogosian. He's continued to be a complete mess in Buffalo with the exception of the last week or so and the injuries have continued. The fact we were able to move them just means we were fortunate.

At least Trouba has been quite durable .......when he isn't faceplanting himself into the endboards.

Tough to compare Bogo to Trouba that way. After his ELC Bogo signed a 2 yr bridge ($2M & $3M) the deal you don't like was after filing for arbitration and only 2 RFaa in years.

Kane was in the same position (contract wise) as Trouba when he signed. It was done just hours before the lockout IIRC

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think the Jets could have moved Kane or Bogo with their contract to many teams. They were young, cost-controlled for a long time, and played top-4 D and top-6 F. The fact that they were able to trade them both to the same team and get back a very good contract suggests that their was nothing wrong with those contracts in the NHL marketplace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad