The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Everyone loves to shit on Jarmo but I've yet to see anyone put a realistic name up for a replacement.

Just remember, grass ain't always greener on the other side.
I think Kekalainen is a very good GM and yet I've still been looking at replacement names. Heck, ESPN did an article on rising stars who might be next up for coach and GM recently. Have yet to find one that I think is worth the jump, tho.
None unless we're in a hurry to bring MacFarland back, anyways.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Was debating on putting this in a few different threads but just settled on this one - since it's Jarmo talking. He specifically mentioned Beniers and Jalonen by name when talking about a world juniors game he was watching and if he'd hire a euro coach respectively. Nothing super groundbreaking but I'm sure there's some quotes that some may want to read between the lines of.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England

Was debating on putting this in a few different threads but just settled on this one - since it's Jarmo talking. He specifically mentioned Beniers and Jalonen by name when talking about a world juniors game he was watching and if he'd hire a euro coach respectively. Nothing super groundbreaking but I'm sure there's some quotes that some may want to read between the lines of.

Obviously even a possibility of Jalonen being considered made quite news in Finland. HS, the biggest newspaper, makes it sound like he's a candidate even if the source material is more like say "I'm not ruling him out". https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-2000007999720.html

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Jarmo’s trajectory hasn’t been normal for North American Pro Sports.

he was given the green light to go for it. Failed to win a ring or even reach the finals. But took the team further than it had ever been. The coach he hired to make a run gets let go. The players he brought in left. And the crown jewel prospect forces his way out.

Now Jarmo has been given the keys to a full to-the-studs tear down of the roster and farm system. A total rebuild. A new HC.

safe to say ownership is comfortable with their guy.

Reactions: Fro

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
This team was built in many ways for the style of play that Torts wanted. Now a guy like Panarin is outside of any mold and could make any style flourish but for the most part we were grinders. At least Jarmo was able to draft a couple players who were more than that and now he’s revamping into a style that fits his wants instead of a coaches.

Reactions: CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This team was built in many ways for the style of play that Torts wanted. Now a guy like Panarin is outside of any mold and could make any style flourish but for the most part we were grinders. At least Jarmo was able to draft a couple players who were more than that and now he’s revamping into a style that fits his wants instead of a coaches.

I'm not sure I agree that the team as built with Torts in mind, at least not in the last couple of years..Tex,Bemstrom,Laine,Domi, Chinakhov(?) don't scream Torts to me. I always thought there was a disconnect between who Torts would prefer and who Jarmo acquired.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I'm not sure I agree that the team as built with Torts in mind, at least not in the last couple of years..Tex,Bemstrom,Laine,Domi, Chinakhov(?) don't scream Torts to me. I always thought there was a disconnect between who Torts would prefer and who Jarmo acquired.

I agree. I guess I was really vague on my saying the last drafts weren’t Torts guys. Maybe Jarmo knew something or he knew Torts wouldn’t play them much.

Reactions: EspenK

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Jarmo (especially without JD around) has never really followed consensus in the draft. IMO he has favored Eurpean skaters too much and that is why I was glad to see a couple of NA kids go early. Now Jarmo to his credit has hit on some folks, but he seems to have his own ideas on who to draft and I certainly don't think he was drafting for Torts.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo (especially without JD around) has never really followed consensus in the draft. IMO he has favored Eurpean skaters too much and that is why I was glad to see a couple of NA kids go early. Now Jarmo to his credit has hit on some folks, but he seems to have his own ideas on who to draft and I certainly don't think he was drafting for Torts.

That disconnect was always glaring and it's hard to fathom that it was never really fully reconciled.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
And then JD just let Jarmo do whatever he wanted with absolutely no regard for whether it worked with his hand-picked head coach?

Pretty much. The other option is Jarmo is a moron that continually drafted and acquired players that he had no idea wouldn't fit into his coach's system. Let's not forget that we ended up giving Vancouver a second round pick to hire Torts, I don't think Jarmo would willingly give up draft capital just to hire a coach.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty much. The other option is Jarmo is a moron that continually drafted and acquired players that he had no idea wouldn't fit into his coach's system. Let's not forget that we ended up giving Vancouver a second round pick to hire Torts, I don't think Jarmo would willingly give up draft capital just to hire a coach.

DSL was joking. JD was a part of most every big hockey decision up until two years ago. He just gets a pass around here for no good reason.

The average NHL coaching tenure is three years, and the average time from the draft to a player becoming a full time NHLer is probably longer than 3 years. You don't draft for your coach.

I'm not sure I even buy the premise that there was much of a player-coach mismatch. Torts only needs diligent hard-working players who can block a shot, and that's almost everyone who comes here.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think the next GM of the CBJ will be Rick Nash.
It may not be in 2021-22. But I think that is what he is being groomed for.
I'm not sure it will be in Columbus, but I think he will too...but it sounds like he loves this intermediary role bt the FO and Players....and changes are happening

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not sure it will be in Columbus, but I think he will too...but it sounds like he loves this intermediary role bt the FO and Players....and changes are happening

I think Nash can fill that role well and I'm glad some changes are happening based on player input.

I also think that some of the veteran CBJ got a little too complacent over the years. The franchise needed a big culture change back when Nash was traded and looks like it needed, and is getting, another one now.

Reactions: LJ7201 and Fro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad