The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I dont think a GM should show empathy. Running a hockey-team is a business. You dont do Business-decisions by empathy.
Also what ppl post about "You should draft players that fit the coach" is complete bullshit. You draft the best players available or players that fit the team. Coaches come and go and if you draft for said coach, then when he leaves you have to blow up the entire team.

The GM doesn't have to show empathy, but someone in the management team should if it wants to build relationships that build loyalty. So if your GM is a stoic Finn then your coach likely needs to have that personality trait. And while it is a business, it is a business where your most valuable assets get the chance to leave when you want them to stay so doing things that make them choose to stay can be important.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I'd give him one more season to show his future vision for this team (vision doesbt equal ny real success) If his vision is not convincing then Id fire Jarmo.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
If he manages to get a first round pick and change for Korpi, I may have to upgrade him from A to A++.

he’s really saying f*** it right now and I can’t blame him. Enough of this back-and-forth with the stupid goalies. Choose one and be done with it. If we’re gonna be terrible let’s sort allllll this out.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
The best line from other fans on Jarmo.

upload_2021-7-30_17-57-17.jpeg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not sure where to put this so I stuck it here. Interesting read about Anaheim's rebuild/situation. Lots of parallels to Jackets.

Ducks should embrace the rebuild — The Fourth Period
I find myself mostly noticing the differences. We haven't had three years in the weeds with a GM refusing to do anything, for example. Nor have we had problems with former core players dealing with the ravages of time. And the primary point of the op-ed is insisting on committing to a rebuild, which Kekalainen already clearly and firmly did months ago.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
This was a very interesting quote by Jarmo. Some might find the bluntness refreshing. "We haven't held a parade here" - justification for moving out Atkinson (he mentions "this core," so include Foligno and Savard in there as well). That's a pretty big absolution of any and all mistakes made by the front office and coaching staff in the last 5+ years. If we don't hold a parade, it's solely the fault of the players, specifically the ones in leadership roles. Although, Boone Jenner has been around basically as long as Atkinson, so he didn't need moved out. In fact, he got extended.

And we wonder why no one wants to stay here. (This could also go in the anonymous players thread.)

I think you got that "we haven't held a parade here" comment completely wrong.

I got that he meant: "it sucks to part ways with long time core guys like Atkinson, but what is to be done is to be done". He says he doesn't like it emotionally, but that is what he thinks he needs to do for the brighter future of CBJ.

And NOT that you could held a parade WITH Atkinson.

In other words he could say "we are not celebrating".

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
10 years, 1 playoff series win.

Do you have faith in Jarmo? 10 years is a very long time, and to me we are basically in the same place as when he took over.
Cool I was wondering when this was going to get bumped. I'm going to wait and see what happens over the summer and with the roster for next season before I take a position. A lot could/is going to happen between now and next season and I'm hoping for some player movement to balance out the lineup. I won't deny tho that I have reservations of both Jarmo and JD.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Do you have faith in Jarmo? 10 years is a very long time, and to me we are basically in the same place as when he took over.
This is not so easy. You've got to draft the right players, coax free agents to sign new contracts, keep the old ones. You think we were that kind of team? And draft picks alone aren't enough.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
This is not so easy. You've got to draft the right players, coax free agents to sign new contracts, keep the old ones. You think we were that kind of team? And draft picks alone aren't enough.
I think GMs have been fired for less success, yes. Not suggesting that he be fired, however the brick by brick thing was BS.

10 years is plenty of time to build a team. Especially if all our moves were to “get better now and in the future.”

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think GMs have been fired for less success, yes. Not suggesting that he be fired, however the brick by brick thing was BS.

10 years is plenty of time to build a team. Especially if all our moves were to “get better now and in the future.”
Not every team has the same possibilities. For example, we couldn't keep players because they didn't want to play for Columbus. So we had to trade players, which caused us to lose draft picks, including first rounders. Next. Maybe from Werenski's draft we never started high in last year's draft. Obviously for Jarmo. Next. Perhaps the first top player to sign a long term deal is Werenski (Jones didn't sign such long term contract but more less). I'm hoping Laine will be one as well.
Have teams like Tampa, Toronto, Florida etc. had such problems?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

This should be a key offseason.

He’s retooling now.

Last year he added Laine, Johnson, Sillinger& Boqvist.
Are you happy with that or mehh about it?

This year they’ll have the 5th or 6th overall from Chicago and their own 12th overall.

That could be another top C prospect or Dprospect+ added into the pool
Would you be happy with it or not?

Columbus is in a tough spot because they don’t have it easy when it comes to getting players stay and sign there.

But building a legit team is the best cure for it

I think they are in a pretty good spot and in great spot if they are able to add one of those top prospects mentioned before moving forward

Reactions: CBJx614

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

But in the NHL half the teams make the playoffs every year. It's not like the old days when only the best of the best made the playoffs.

TO me it still comes down to the plan from the top. I fear the CBJ ownership strives for mediocrity. They always had a style of play in mind (whether it was gritty, heavy, hard to play against) and at least we have seen that change.

This team (IMO) after the first season always seems to have the goal of getting into the playoffs and hoping they catch fire. The exception to that was the all in year with Bread and Bob and adding Duchene was the only team on paper that was talented but again we slid into the playoffs and had to go thru Tampa, then Boston which was daunting.

To me the key is JD. He likely is in ownership's ear and he needs to build this thing right. Now if JD is doing the whole brick by brick thing and Jarmo is on another page, then that is an issue.

Again I'm not even sure JD is the right guy either but I likely have more faith in him than Jarmo and definely much more faith in JD than I do with ownership.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
This should be a key offseason.

He’s retooling now.

Last year he added Laine, Johnson, Sillinger& Boqvist.
Are you happy with that or mehh about it?

This year they’ll have the 5th or 6th overall from Chicago and their own 12th overall.

That could be another top C prospect or Dprospect+ added into the pool
Would you be happy with it or not?

Columbus is in a tough spot because they don’t have it easy when it comes to getting players stay and sign there.

But building a legit team is the best cure for it

I think they are in a pretty good spot and in great spot if they are able to add one of those top prospects mentioned before moving forward
The adds from last year looked good on paper and some worked out and some didn't to a certain extent so far.

Laine - Good/Great add! Goes from Good to Great when he signs long-term. Sniper type ability but needs a elite playmaker with him. He is a finisher so need someone to carry the play and draw defenders away from him. Like a 1C - that is an elite playmaker, defensively responsible, face-offs and can carry the play (sounds like a 1C - unicorn for Columbus) To truly unlock Laine's greatness we need that playmaker - Voracek/Nyquist/Jenner did wonders for him this year but imagine a player in their prime

Sillinger - Great add! I do see him as a 2C maybe possibly as a 1C had an up and down season. Very responsible defensively, great release/shot, good hockey vision/IQ, good in the face-off, physical and seems to have an iron constitution and he is only 18 years old - so I call this a win. Looks like he will be a very good player. Needs to continue working on his skating in off-season to get more explosive.

Johnson - Great add? you can see flashes of the Hockey Vision/IQ & skill but this fall will tell what he worked on in the off-season. Too early but hopeful. Also very young but needs a lot of strength training.

Bean - Good add? Thought is was a good pick-up now Meh. There is some offensive upside ,but not physical and mediocre at defending & board battles. Also is too hesitant at times. He is young as well so an off-season strength training and defensive coaching will help.

Boqvist - Good add? Great offensive skills for a defensemen but not physical and borderline bad at defending & board battles. Again young guy but his constitution worries me and do we have a more complete product in Blankenburg? I say this again he is young so let's see what an off-season can do for him.

Blankenburg - Great add! Short sample size but saw him play 10 or so games with UM the very same way. Very decisive, good board battles, physical, great defending and some offensive upside. I thought when we signed him his defensive skills would shine and his offensive game wouldn't transfer. Very high on him and could see him in the top 4. He needs an off-season of strength training but I predict he will supplant Bean, Boqvist and possibly Peeke.

Chinnakov - Good add! This was a good find. Great shot, skills and Hockey IQ/Vision but I agree with most that he should have spent the season in Cleveland. He isn't very physical and his defense is okay. I think he will have a big jump in the off-season and see him in the top 9. He needs to strength train and work on the defensive side of his game.

Roslovic - Good/Great add! Thought is was a good add especially being from Columbus. Great skills, speed but severely lacked defensive capabilities and was bad in the face-off. Then started trending to Meh and he changed his game. He started becoming a lot better at defending and in the face-off. He stopped skating himself into a corner and passing blindly (Hockey Vision/IQ). He game started to round out further to becoming a more complete player and went from Meh-Good-Great? If he continues to work on defense/face-offs in the off-season he could be 2C and maybe 1C?

So to some it up

Bean and Boqvist are Meh - this partially sums up the record number GA
Chinnakov and Laine are Good
Sillinger and Blankenburg are Great
Johnson has the bones to be great but too early
Roslovic is my biggest comeback of the year Good to Great?

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The adds from last year looked good on paper and some worked out and some didn't to a certain extent.

Laine - Good/Great add! Sniper type ability but needs a playmaker with him (if we already had a playmaker then great add). He is a finisher so need someone to carry the play and draw defenders away from him. Like a 1C - that is a playmaker, defensively responsible, face-offs and can carry the play (sounds like a 1C - unicorn for Columbus) To truly unlock Laine's greatness we need that playmaker - Voracek did wonders for him this year but imagine a player in their prime

Sillinger - Great add! I do see him as a 2C maybe possibly as a 1C had an up and down season. Very responsible defensively, great release/shot, good hockey vision/IQ, good in the face-off, physical and seems to have an iron constitution and he is only 18 years old - so I call this a win. Looks like he will be a very good player. Needs to continue working on his skating in off-season to get more explosive.

Johnson - Great add? you can see flashes of the Hockey Vision/IQ & skill but this fall will tell what he worked on in the off-season. Too early but hopeful. Also very young but needs a lot of strength training.

Bean - Good add? Thought is was a good pick-up now Meh. There is some offensive upside ,but not physical and mediocre at defending & board battles. Also is too hesitant at times. He is young as well so an off-season strength training and defensive coaching will help.

Boqvist - Good add? Great offensive skills for a defensemen but not physical and borderline bad at defending & board battles. Again young guy but his constitution worries me and do we have a more complete product in Blankenburg? I say this again he is young so let's see what an off-season can do for him.

Blankenburg - Great add! Short sample size but saw him play 10 or so games with UM the very same way. Very decisive, good board battles, physical, great defending and some offensive upside. I thought when we signed him his defensive skills would shine and his offensive game wouldn't transfer. Very high on him and could see him in the top 4. He needs an off-season of strength training but I predict he will supplant Bean, Boqvist and possibly Peeke.

Chinnakov - Good add! This was a good find. Great shot, skills and Hockey IQ/Vision but I agree with most that he should have spent the season in Cleveland. He isn't very physical and his defense is okay. I think he will have a big jump in the off-season and see him in the top 9. He needs to strength train and work on the defensive side of his game.

Roslovic - Good/Great add! Thought is was a good add especially being from Columbus. Great skills, speed but severely lacked defensive capabilities and was bad in the face-off. Then started trending to Meh and he changed his game. He started becoming a lot better at defending and in the face-off. He stopped skating himself into a corner and passing blindly (Hockey Vision/IQ). He game started to round out further to becoming a more complete player and went from Meh-Good-Great? If he continues to work on defense/face-offs in the off-season he could be 2C and maybe 1C?

So to some it up

Laine has 56 26 30 56, only 5 goals in PP and 12 points in PP playing especially with Jenner and Nyquist. Not Voracek but Gus. Who from them is a playmaker? Or is Boone 1C? Maybe it's time to finish stories how Laine needs partners.
I think Bean is enough underrated. His skill, hockey vision, skate are very good but if he won't be more strength he will never show his potential.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The adds from last year looked good on paper and some worked out and some didn't to a certain extent.

Laine - Good/Great add! Sniper type ability but needs a playmaker with him (if we already had a playmaker then great add). He is a finisher so need someone to carry the play and draw defenders away from him. Like a 1C - that is a playmaker, defensively responsible, face-offs and can carry the play (sounds like a 1C - unicorn for Columbus) To truly unlock Laine's greatness we need that playmaker - Voracek did wonders for him this year but imagine a player in their prime

So to some it up

So to me that looks like pretty damm good work considering the situation Jarmo was under in.

PLD quit on the team and Jarmo got Laine (& Roslovic) back, who can be a longterm building block for Columbus.

Jones had 2-3 teams he was rumoured to look into signing an extension, out of those 1 could really afford him.
Lands top6+ 12th overall picks+ Boqvist+ 2nd.

Johnson is seen as one of the best prospects in the league currently and for 12th overall Sillinger had a good year.

This draft there’s some of Jiricek, Nemec, Kemell, Savoie, Slaf, Lambert going to be available with where they draft no matter what. Really hoping they get the 5th overall.
Another potential franchise changing talent coming up.

I don’t know but to me that’s not darkness.

Cap wise thet should be in really good position as well moving forward

Last edited:

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Laine has 56 26 30 56, only 5 goals in PP and 12 points in PP playing especially with Jenner and Nyquist. Not Voracek but Gus. Who from them is a playmaker? Or is Boone 1C? Maybe it's time to finish stories how Laine needs partners.
I think Bean is enough underrated. His skill, hockey vision, skate are very good but if he won't be more strength he will never show his potential.
VT - Thanks for your insight. What I am saying is we need an elite playmaker to unlock his potential. I don't see any of them as elite playmakers. Nyquist is very good, Jenner is a great but not a playmaker and Voracek is the closest to being a playmaker but still is not the playmaker Laine needs. Maybe it's Johnson or even farther maybe it's Roslovic. Again this isn't to slight Nyquist, Jenner or Voracek - I like them all as players but on another Team none of them are 1st line heavy minutes.

On Bean we disagree - He is too hesitant (maybe confidence) on defensive reads and his lack of strength affects his board battles and physical play. So in essence unless he gets stronger and confidence then it just potential. He needs a good off-season and again he is young so I am not righting him off, but there is a an American Football saying - if he is going to bite he will bite as a pup.

If we had to give up a D prospect Bean/Boqvist would be in my proposed prospects to get a bonafide C or top D

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
So to me that looks like pretty damm good work considering the situation Jarmo was under in.

PLD quit on the team and Jarmo got Laine (& Roslovic) back, who can be a longterm building block for Columbus.

Jones had 2-3 teams he was rumoured to look into signing an extension, out of those 1 could really afford him.
Lands top6+ 12th overall picks+ Boqvist+ 2nd.

Johnson is seen as one of the best prospects in the league currently and for 12th overall Sillinger had a good year.

This draft there’s some of Jiricek, Nemec, Kemell, Savoie, Slaf, Lambert going to be available with where they draft no matter what. Really hoping they get the 5th overall.
Another potential franchise changing talent coming up.

I don’t know but to me that’s not darkness.

Cap wise thet should be in really good position as well moving forward
We are agreeing and I said nothing about darkness - I was answering on the adds to the Team this past year and potential. Nowhere did I say bad job or bleak or darkness, actually it's a good job on this reset or retool

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We are agreeing and I said nothing about darkness - I was answering on the adds to the Team this past year and potential. Nowhere did I say bad job or bleak or darkness, actually it's a good job on this reset or retool

My darkness comment wasn’t really aimed at you, it was more of a overall comment.

To me things look brighter than they have ever? and some see Columbus is total darkness.

They have a real shot at maybe 1st time ever really build a core that can one day compete for Cup and not just be a good regular season team

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
VT - Thanks for your insight. What I am saying is we need an elite playmaker to unlock his potential. I don't see any of them as elite playmakers. Nyquist is very good, Jenner is a great but not a playmaker and Voracek is the closest to being a playmaker but still is not the playmaker Laine needs. Maybe it's Johnson or even farther maybe it's Roslovic. Again this isn't to slight Nyquist, Jenner or Voracek - I like them all as players but on another Team none of them are 1st line heavy minutes.

On Bean we disagree - He is too hesitant (maybe confidence) on defensive reads and his lack of strength affects his board battles and physical play. So in essence unless he gets stronger and confidence then it just potential. He needs a good off-season and again he is young so I am not righting him off, but there is a an American Football saying - if he is going to bite he will bite as a pup.

If we had to give up a D prospect Bean/Boqvist would be in my proposed prospects to get a bonafide C or top D
Nobody can unlock his potential without excellent partners. The important for us is he isn't dependent on someone.
Roslovic? We'll see. Jack improved his play when we don't already have a chance to play in PO and it's something other than you must win. So the future will show. I hope he'll continue. One shows better positional play, defense, forchecking, use partners more.
I can be wrong but I have a feeling Bean, if he has confidence, he's good on both sides. But because of lack of the strength he can lose battles around the boards, position in the front of the net... . It doesn't help self-confidence. He must improve it. If not.... .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad