The Isles are nasty

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Just curious.... how did you feel about Karlsson winning it?
Didn’t like it. Not at all. I’ve been among the group who’d like a new trophy to recognize the best offensive d man while awarding the Norris based on its intended criteria. It’s becoming a top scoring d man trophy and that was never supposed to be what it was about.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Didn’t like it. Not at all. I’ve been among the group who’d like a new trophy to recognize the best offensive d man while awarding the Norris based on its intended criteria. It’s becoming a top scoring d man trophy and that was never supposed to be what it was about.

Aren't you contradicting yourself now, though?

Nobody is saying that Leddy is better than these defenseman you listed. We all agree there (or at least we all should). But, if Leddy leads defensemen in points, which he could, then he's a finalist.

Reactions: Dr Acula

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I agree with this.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
I agree. They are a slow, inept team that plays boring hockey and I wish this jinx thread would go away.

Yeah, because me, a basement dwelling nobody can will the outcome of the Islanders season with a simple thread on some random Canadian hockey message board. Man, if I knew I had these powers I would of made a "Islanders are the worst organization in the history of sports" thread years ago :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Aren't you contradicting yourself now, though?

Nobody is saying that Leddy is better than these defenseman you listed. We all agree there (or at least we all should). But, if Leddy leads defensemen in points, which he could, then he's a finalist.
How so?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Fair point. A .903 save percentage is pretty low and likely to rebound to the .910-.915 range, but those possession metrics are still a bit concerning. Another good team in the Metro.

The top 10 teams in Corsi are:

Carolina
Edmonton
SJ
Columbus
Montreal
St Louis
Boston
Chicago
Calgary
Dallas

It's kind of a mixed bag.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Did you read the rest of my post?

A lot of us agree that the Norris should be for actual defensive prowess instead of it essentially being a point-scoring trophy. Or at the very least, they should split it into two awards. This has been a conversation for years. But, the fact remains that as of today the trophy is still awarded that way.

So, follow this logic:

1. There are plenty of better all around defenseman than Leddy, including Pietrangelo, Doughty, Hedman, etc.
2. Leddy is 1 point shy of the lead and 1 goal shy of the lead and plays on a very offensive run and gun team.
3. Therefore Leddy could lead all defenseman in points. Not saying he will, but it wouldn't exactly be shocking.
4. If Leddy leads in points, there's a good chance that he would be a finalist for the trophy, considering that is how it is awarded today whether you like it or not.
5. Thus, Leddy is a finalist despite not being as good as Pietrangelo, Doughty, and Hedman.
6. So your logic of it being as laughable as trying to explain to someone that the sky is blue that Leddy would never be a finalist is not logical.

Nobody is saying he's the best defenseman nor that he'll lead the league in points (I'd say that will be Hedman -- and I think the award is between him and Pietrangelo). But saying there's no chance and your argument is "I don't need to explain that the sky is blue" kind of defeats the purpose of having an adult conversation, which I haven't figured out if I'm having yet.

Reactions: Dr Acula

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I think the complaint about the Norris going to high point-getters is overblown. The award should be for the best player who's a defenseman. The defenseman who does his job best—both keeping his team from being scored on and helping his team score—will probably be among the top scoring D-Men. And at the very least, from all we've learned about the game in the past several years and how the game has evolved, it's unlikely that the D-Man with the most "defensive prowess" will be some classic crease-clearing stay at home guy

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
Yeah, because me, a basement dwelling nobody can will the outcome of the Islanders season with a simple thread on some random Canadian hockey message board. Man, if I knew I had these powers I would of made a "Islanders are the worst organization in the history of sports" thread years ago :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I have to say I have enjoyed watching them so far this year. They have been an exciting team. I really hope they can keep it up. Just my ingrained negativity coming out since they have toyed with our emotions for many years.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I have to say I have enjoyed watching them so far this year. They have been an exciting team. I really hope they can keep it up. Just my ingrained negativity coming out since they have toyed with our emotions for many years.

x100 (heartbreaks of thinking the franchise has finally turned a corner only to be perennially disappointed for close to 20 years).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00