The Isles are nasty

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
:laugh: I don’t play video games so I don’t know, or care about the ratings of players.

You aren’t convincing someone who watches as much hockey as I do, that Nick Leddy should bump any of the 3 current front runners barring a nose dive from one of them. Even still, I don’t think he’s anywhere in the conversation. He’s not a top 10 defender and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Go make your Nick Leddy for Norris case to someone else.

With all due respect, if you write "If Nick Leddy wins a Norris trophy... :laugh:" in an Islanders thread and then dismiss all replies to that very comment... you are probably the one who should be taking their sentiments elsewhere.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Just did a quick check and the Islanders have the highest shooting percentage in the league this season at nearly 12% (league average is around 9%) and 4th highest PDO while coming in at 20th in CF% (49.3%). 13 guys are shooting at 9% or higher. The Isles are good and improved over last year but I think they're bound to regress a bit at some point this season. Even with a likely regression they're still a playoff team, in my opinion.

The offense will regress but they also currently have a save percentage that will likeky increase

Reactions: bigtim1988

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
The award is for most proficient at the position. Regardless of the fact it’s somewhat become a d man scoring trophy, Nick Leddy isn’t winning the Norris. If I have to explain, you wouldn’t understand.

He won’t win it but you kind of appear to not know what you’re talking about. He finished 16th in voting a few seasons ago and is having his best year in the nhl by far. If Morgan Reilly was putting up leddys numbers there would be a thread on the main board talking about his case for the Norris

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know the emphasis is on playoff run but, as Slapshot stated, he was a rock in the first round against Washington three seasons ago. He's very streaky but, when he's on, he's a brick wall. We just have to hope that the team finishes the season strong and, assuming Snow doesn't make an upgrade in net, Halak can repeat his magic - from seven seasons ago.

Most importantly, the Islanders need to play better team defense.
Which does make the hamonic trade a bit puzzling unless he really did want to go to the west to be closer to Manitoba.

See if they add to it at th ND of the season.

Never a great thing to depend on a streaky goalie. They can run hot and cold.

Not sure who is available that would be a sizable upgrade at the tdl.

Ana, SJ, van, EDM, AZ, LV? Either they won't move their #1 or their #1 isn't an upgrade.
Chi, min, dal, col I would say the same.
Buf, FLA, Mon, ott, Det, bos? Luongo for a last run, Price, Rask are those 2 moving?
Phil, car, was? Holtby not on the move and no upgrade from the other 2.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
:laugh: I don’t play video games so I don’t know, or care about the ratings of players.

You aren’t convincing someone who watches as much hockey as I do, that Nick Leddy should bump any of the 3 current front runners barring a nose dive from one of them. Even still, I don’t think he’s anywhere in the conversation. He’s not a top 10 defender and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Go make your Nick Leddy for Norris case to someone else.

Someone who supposedly watches the amount of hockey that you do should have a better argument than "because I said so".

Generally, it's the people least knowledgeable about hockey that can only offer "because I said so" responses.

Reactions: Wanderson

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
As of today, the Isles have the number 1 offense in the league statistically with 3.7 goals per game.

Isles also have netted more 4+ goal games than any other team in the NHL this season.

Tavares 3rd in league in goals and on pace for career-best 55 goals and 96 points.

Bailey tied for 9th in the league in points and is on pace for a 96 point career year as well.

Lee on pace to break the 40 goal mark.

Barzal a Calder candidate is on pace for 82 points.

Eberle is on pace to match or beat his career high in goals of 34.

Nick Leddy possible Norris candidate? He is currently on pace for nearly 70 points. 1 point behind points leader for defensemen and 1 goal behind goal leader for defensemen.

Isles under Doug Weight are 39-19-6, making one of the best runs in the NHL since last January. Possible coach of the year candidate?

Isles have yet to lose this year in regulation at the Barclays center (8 - 0 - 2)

Is this team legitimate? Even Josh Ho-Sang is starting to get going netting a few points in his last couple of games. Team has depth up the wazoo. Anyone can score at any given time. Top 6 looks to be probably the best top 6 in the league.

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Ladd - Barzal - Eberle

The only thing I can see holding this team back is goalie. Halak and Greiss have both been sub-par so far this season. If they want to make the playoffs and make some noise post season, one of these goalies needs to step up and take it to another level.

What are your thoughts? Are the Islanders contenders? Will they take the Metro this year? Currently sitting in 2nd and only 1 point behind Columbus, I think they have a shot. I think they also have a shot of having the best regular season in god knows how long. Can't wait to see where this team finishes. Simply put, the Isles are nasty yo.

Sources: (The Islanders’ offense is turning into one of the league’s most fearsome | The Hockey News) and (New York Islanders)

So....getting rid of crapuano was a smart move....Here's my take on their 2017 incarnation:

1-Barzal is all-world, he's as fast as anyone in the league, and I mean anyone. If he does not get injured he will dominate the league, which leads to #2...

2-the NYI second line of Ladd/Barzal/Eberle might be the best in the NHL right now. Ebs was a disappointment to me as I wanted Taylor Hall, but this guy is very good, much better and more effective a player than I thought he was. And with Ladd mentally engaged and Rocket Barzal tearing up defenses, getting both of his linemates the puck at crucial spots on the ice, this line is the toughest in the league to shut down IMO.

3-Ridding themselves of crapuano's pass-prevent defense and opening things up again in a league committed to more scoring was a no-brainer for all humans besides Garth Snow, who refused to fire crapuano even after a 3-17 slide a year or two back.

4-another instance of the idiocy of crapuano was not playing the younger guys like Pelech, Barzal, Mayfield etc who are now shining. Keeping garbage on the roster like Strait while better, younger players languished in the minors was lunacy. If your team sucks, at least bringing in young players with potential is a FAR better option than sucking with crap veterans long past their usefulness. Do I hear Thomas Hickey, anyone?

5-solving their powerplay problems - having a solid second PP unit with Barzal has made a world of difference...which meant demoting Brock Nelson off of that unit and off the second line. Nelson is a 20-goal scorer with few other attributes, so reducing his minutes and replacing him with a massively upgraded part (Barzal) has tremendously helped.

There's other reasons, like the development of Pelech, Mayfield, and the reduced minutes of garbage like Thomas Hickey, but they need to continue to reduce the minutes of Chimera and other lousy vets who should be used purely as injury replacements/spare parts exclusively. Should be an interesting year.

Reactions: PWJunior

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
With all due respect, if you write "If Nick Leddy wins a Norris trophy... :laugh:" in an Islanders thread and then dismiss all replies to that very comment... you are probably the one who should be taking their sentiments elsewhere.
I enjoy watching the Islanders. Tavares and Ho Sang are two of my favourite players to watch in particular. I don’t agree that Nick Leddy is a Norris candidate.

Feel free to disagree. I’m not going to argue because if that’s your opinion, we see two very different games and won’t agree. No point wasting time arguing about it.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Which does make the hamonic trade a bit puzzling unless he really did want to go to the west to be closer to Manitoba.

See if they add to it at th ND of the season.

Never a great thing to depend on a streaky goalie. They can run hot and cold.

Not sure who is available that would be a sizable upgrade at the tdl.

Ana, SJ, van, EDM, AZ, LV? Either they won't move their #1 or their #1 isn't an upgrade.
Chi, min, dal, col I would say the same.
Buf, FLA, Mon, ott, Det, bos? Luongo for a last run, Price, Rask are those 2 moving?
Phil, car, was? Holtby not on the move and no upgrade from the other 2.

Personally, I see the Hammer trade as addition by subtraction - he's just not the player he once was, and he is very injury-prone. (Great human being though, loved having him on the Isles) We got a great return for him and can use Calgary's picks as trade chips for an upgrade on defense.

I see an upgrade in net as more of an option than a necessity. I would feel more confident if we had another bonafide Top 3 defenseman and another veteran depth defenseman.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Somewhere in the season prediction thread I had the Isles going to the Cup finals. Its a bit bold but I stand by it.

This team to me looks like they have the talent throughout their roster and the Defense to make a deep run. Goaltending has been skeptical, but I think both netminders are better than they are currently playing. Team is also in very good shape for a deadline deal. 4 picks in the first two rounds.

Too bad the clubs are arch rivals, but Rick Nash would have looked good riding shotgun for JT.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There was a thread rolling around the mainboard prior to the start of the season asking for predictions or surprises this season.

The NY Isles were my choice to surprise most this year. By one getting in the playoffs, and two making some noise. Not changing my opinion at this point.

They have something magical happening there.

Reactions: bigtim1988

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
If this was 10 games in I could see how this is premature. But now that we are about 1/3rd into the season and the Isles seem to be getting better and better each passing week, I think it says a lot about them and how they may very well keep up this pace barring any crazy injuries.

If JT or Barzal get hurt, this joyride might come to a close. Teams are streaky, and it is still November. CBJ didn't win the cup last year despite an even more incredible run, so let's just be patient. After 33 years of suffering, what's another 6 months?

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Someone who supposedly watches the amount of hockey that you do should have a better argument than "because I said so".

Generally, it's the people least knowledgeable about hockey that can only offer "because I said so" responses.
I don’t feel the need to explain why Hedman, Doughty and Pietrangelo are better candidates... just like I don’t feel the need to support my claim that the sky is blue.

He’s a very good player and he’s come a long way, but I don’t have him among the elite of the elite. Sorry.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
What? It’s funny that a top pairing defenseman wins a Norris trophy? Oh because he’s not your regular Norris contender...he’s only a top pairing D in the NHL...how lame.

I love Leddy and his offensive, puck-moving abilties, but in our end he is no Shea Weber. A Norris is not realistic unless he upgrades his defensive side a lot, or the NHL splits the award as others have suggested into offensive and defensive d-men.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I don’t feel the need to explain why Hedman, Doughty and Pietrangelo are better candidates... just like I don’t feel the need to support my claim that the sky is blue.

He’s a very good player and he’s come a long way, but I don’t have him among the elite of the elite. Sorry.

If he leads defenseman in points, does he get it?

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
They got 2 gms to help build their team so it's a bit unfair

I laughed at this until I thought of Snow, so in reality its more like 1 and 1/8 GMs, since Snow has been such an abomination for so many years, its like they got good in spite of him. He's the hockey version of the monkey and the typewriter, where if given eternity could type a Shakespearean play - Snow has had so many 1st round picks he HAD to get lucky on some of them.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

nobody said Leddy was going to win the norris

they're saying if he keeps this up he could be a candidate and that his play right now is top 3

go whine some more

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
nobody said Leddy was going to win the norris

they're saying if he keeps this up he could be a candidate and that his play right now is top 3

go whine some more
:laugh: someone’s upset.

I disagree. I see better candidates across the league that better fit my interpretation of the criteria.

I’m flattered you’re taking the time to go around and quote me in multiple threads, though. :laugh:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Patrick Roy was a better goaltender than Jose Theodore, yet Theodore still won the Hart Trophy over him in 2001-02 because Theodore had the better season.

The point you ignore is that just because you feel those three are better defenseman, it doesn't make it impossible for Leddy to win the Norris. The trophy is presented on a year-by-year basis, and literally anyone can win it provided they put up a strong enough season.

Reactions: Dr Acula

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Patrick Roy was a better goaltender than Jose Theodore, yet Theodore still won the Hart Trophy over him in 2001-02 because Theodore had the better season.

The point you ignore is that just because you feel those three are better defenseman, it doesn't make it impossible for Leddy to win the Norris. The trophy is presented on a year-by-year basis, and literally anyone can win it provided they put up a strong enough season.
:laugh: and I didn’t suggest he wasn’t eligible, I just don’t see him winning it.

Would you like to bet on it?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
:laugh: someone’s upset.

I disagree. I see better candidates across the league that better fit my interpretation of the criteria.

I’m flattered you’re taking the time to go around and quote me in multiple threads, though. :laugh:

You're the only one that seems to be upset in every thread

the Laughing emoticon is a cute attempt

Did you lose a bet where each and every one of your post is required to have :laugh:? That must be rough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad