The Isles are nasty

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I enjoy watching the Islanders. Tavares and Ho Sang are two of my favourite players to watch in particular. I don’t agree that Nick Leddy is a Norris candidate.

Feel free to disagree. I’m not going to argue because if that’s your opinion, we see two very different games and won’t agree. No point wasting time arguing about it.

You have a legit comment, Leddy is very good but Hedman, Doughty, and Pietrangelo are all-world talents. He is not quite there yet.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
:laugh: genius insight
If I have to explain why Victor Hedman, Drew Doughty and Alex Pietrangelo are more proficient at their position this year, I don’t want to talk hockey with you. Sky is blue concept, not worth my time.

Keep quoting all the posts I make though. It’s a reflection of.... well, let’s just say psychology is a science. I’m truly sorry you’re so upset though. Really. :laugh:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
If I have to explain why Victor Hedman, Drew Doughty and Alex Pietrangelo are more proficient at their position this year, I don’t want to talk hockey with you. Sky is blue concept, not worth my time.

Keep quoting all the posts I make though. It’s a reflection of.... well, let’s just say psychology is a science. I’m truly sorry you’re so upset though. Really. :laugh:

:laugh:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You have a legit comment, Leddy is very good but Hedman, Doughty, and Pietrangelo are all-world talents. He is not quite there yet.
The funny part is that I actually really like Leddy, and the Islanders. He’s grown into a player I didn’t project him to be. Full credit to him.

I’m happy to see the Islanders doing well. I’m just trying to be realistic.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
As of today, the Isles have the number 1 offense in the league statistically with 3.7 goals per game.

Isles also have netted more 4+ goal games than any other team in the NHL this season.

Tavares 3rd in league in goals and on pace for career-best 55 goals and 96 points.

Bailey tied for 9th in the league in points and is on pace for a 96 point career year as well.

Lee on pace to break the 40 goal mark.

Barzal a Calder candidate is on pace for 82 points.

Eberle is on pace to match or beat his career high in goals of 34.

Nick Leddy possible Norris candidate? He is currently on pace for nearly 70 points. 1 point behind points leader for defensemen and 1 goal behind goal leader for defensemen.

Isles under Doug Weight are 39-19-6, making one of the best runs in the NHL since last January. Possible coach of the year candidate?

Isles have yet to lose this year in regulation at the Barclays center (8 - 0 - 2)

Is this team legitimate? Even Josh Ho-Sang is starting to get going netting a few points in his last couple of games. Team has depth up the wazoo. Anyone can score at any given time. Top 6 looks to be probably the best top 6 in the league.

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Ladd - Barzal - Eberle

The only thing I can see holding this team back is goalie. Halak and Greiss have both been sub-par so far this season. If they want to make the playoffs and make some noise post season, one of these goalies needs to step up and take it to another level.

What are your thoughts? Are the Islanders contenders? Will they take the Metro this year? Currently sitting in 2nd and only 1 point behind Columbus, I think they have a shot. I think they also have a shot of having the best regular season in god knows how long. Can't wait to see where this team finishes. Simply put, the Isles are nasty yo.

Sources: (The Islanders’ offense is turning into one of the league’s most fearsome | The Hockey News) and (New York Islanders)
Stamkos is on pace for 123 points, Kucherov and Gaudreau right behind him with 1 less point.

Jaden Schwartz is on pace for 109
Kessel is on pace for 100
McDavid on pace for 98
Brayden schenn on pace for 102

Voracek on pace for 98
Tavares on pace for 95

Every year, 20 or so players are on pace to set career highs after the first quarter. Then teams tighten up defense, iron out wrinkles and scoring drops exponentially.

Wait till the halfway mark

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Stamkos is on pace for 123 points, Kucherov and Gaudreau right behind him with 1 less point.

Jaden Schwartz is on pace for 109
Kessel is on pace for 100
McDavid on pace for 98
Brayden schenn on pace for 102

Voracek on pace for 98
Tavares on pace for 95

Every year, 20 or so players are on pace to set career highs after the first quarter. Then teams tighten up defense, iron out wrinkles and scoring drops exponentially.

Wait till the halfway mark

The point wasn't that the Isles aren't going to have career years from their whole roster and break modern offensive records. The question OP was asking is if the Isles are a legit contender or not. Surely teams will adjust to them, players will go through slumps, etc.

The question is can the Isles adjust back. Do they have enough depth to compete? Can they counter punch? What if they add pieces? Should they add pieces?

It really shouldn't be this hard to have a discussion.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

You're doing a Motte and Bailey, in which you abandon a more controversial position (Nick Leddy will never win a Norris because there are defenseman better than him) to a safer position (Hedman, Doughty, and Pietrangelo are better defenseman than Leddy), then try and pretend they're the same thing.

Reactions: Dr Acula

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
:laugh: someone’s upset.

why did you just send me a PM with asterisk**s

giphy.gif

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You're doing a Motte and Bailey, in which you abandon a more controversial position (Nick Leddy will never win a Norris because there are defenseman better than him) to a safer position (Hedman, Doughty, and Pietrangelo are better defenseman than Leddy), then try and pretend they're the same thing.
Again, I don’t think you’ll find many informed and objective individuals who project Nick Leddy as a Norris finalist. I’m not sure what’s so controversial about saying it?

You’ve taken this as a slight when it was never meant to be so. I’m a realist. There’s a handful of defenders who will always keep Nick Leddy out of serious Norris discussion. If I’m wrong, quote me. I’ll be happy to admit it. Won’t be the first or the last time.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Leddy has been improving every year. He's a solid top 20 D and climbing. One of the best D's blazing up the neutral zone around.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I enjoy watching the Islanders. Tavares and Ho Sang are two of my favourite players to watch in particular. I don’t agree that Nick Leddy is a Norris candidate.

Feel free to disagree. I’m not going to argue because if that’s your opinion, we see two very different games and won’t agree. No point wasting time arguing about it.

I don't understand why you had to share your arrogant opinion in the first place when you refuse to discuss the answers. Very strange. Better if you keep quiet next time.

Leddy has played some excellent hockey this season. I'm sure that he will be one of the candidates to win the trophy if he continues in the same way.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't understand why you had to share your arrogant opinion in the first place when you refuse to discuss the answers. Very strange. Better if you keep quiet next time.

Leddy has played some excellent hockey this season. I'm sure that he will be one of the candidates to win the trophy if he continues in the same way.
There isn’t much to discuss. Leddy isn’t among the elite of the elite and I’ll bet he isn’t a finalist.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
thanks for the quick info.

Looks like Kulemin is out till the end of the year, small chance but he might be able to make it back if the Islanders make the playoffs.

My take on the Islanders, is they finally have that 2nd line they lacked the past few years(I always said they basically were the Tavares line and three 3rd lines) but they probably need another Top pairing defensemen(one that is probably more noted for good defensive play). If they can't aquire that defensemen they should seriously look into acquiring Price if available and hope an elite goaltender came overcome the teams defensive issues

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Looks like Kulemin is out till the end of the year, small chance but he might be able to make it back if the Islanders make the playoffs.

My take on the Islanders, is they finally have that 2nd line they lacked the past few years(I always said they basically were the Tavares line and three 3rd lines) but they probably need another Top pairing defensemen(one that is probably more noted for good defensive play). If they can't aquire that defensemen they should seriously look into acquiring Price if available and hope an elite goaltender came overcome the teams defensive issues

It's a crazy idea because of their contracts (although I actually think Weber's is pretty ok)... But I think they should explore what MTL would need for both Weber and Price with something retained for a package of mostly future's. Montreal would have a shot at a clean slate which they desperately need. And Islanders would walk away with the best team in hockey. They have $35m in cap space for next year - even with those two contracts, NYI could re-sign Tavares, Bailey, lose or trade de Haan and have enough left to extend Lee.

Definitely wouldn't be the most prudent move, but certainly would make them the odds on favorite for this year and the foreseeable future if JT extends.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
There playing well. It’ll be interesting if they can continue it for the rest of the this season and moving forward. A lot of teams have had a good year and then drop off a lot the following

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
There playing well. It’ll be interesting if they can continue it for the rest of the this season and moving forward. A lot of teams have had a good year and then drop off a lot the following

I think the Isles situation is different. They had consecutive 100 points seasons, then missed the playoffs by a single point last year - after a dreadful start and one of the best second halfs in the league. They have been a solid team for awhile now. They needed a coaching change in the worst way and finally got it.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
:laugh: someone’s upset.

I disagree. I see better candidates across the league that better fit my interpretation of the criteria.

I’m flattered you’re taking the time to go around and quote me in multiple threads, though. :laugh:

Just curious.... how did you feel about Karlsson winning it?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I think the Isles situation is different. They had consecutive 100 points seasons, then missed the playoffs by a single point last year - after a dreadful start and one of the best second halfs in the league. They have been a solid team for awhile now. They needed a coaching change in the worst way and finally got it.

Yes exactly. Isles had 101-100-94 points. Nashville went to the Cup and also had 94 points.

Since Doug Weigh took over (January 2017), the Isles have the best record in the NHL. That's almost a full calendar year now. They aren't exactly a flash in the pan.

As many of said, I think they are 1 or 2 trades away from being a true cup contender and elite team. Right now they look good to very good, depending on goaltending.

The Metro is a big obstacle for how far they can get. If they don't win the Metro (which will be tough), they might have to play two top-5 teams (in the league) just to get to the ECF. That's tough sledding.

france62

Jun 15, 2010
It's a crazy idea because of their contracts (although I actually think Weber's is pretty ok)... But I think they should explore what MTL would need for both Weber and Price with something retained for a package of mostly future's. Montreal would have a shot at a clean slate which they desperately need. And Islanders would walk away with the best team in hockey. They have $35m in cap space for next year - even with those two contracts, NYI could re-sign Tavares, Bailey, lose or trade de Haan and have enough left to extend Lee.

Definitely wouldn't be the most prudent move, but certainly would make them the odds on favorite for this year and the foreseeable future if JT extends.
Just wondering, what has Price ever proven in the playoffs , not much , I'd rather keep Greiss and Halak

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad