The Isles are nasty

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
As of today, the Isles have the number 1 offense in the league statistically with 3.7 goals per game.

Isles also have netted more 4+ goal games than any other team in the NHL this season.

Tavares 3rd in league in goals and on pace for career-best 55 goals and 96 points.

Bailey tied for 9th in the league in points and is on pace for a 96 point career year as well.

Lee on pace to break the 40 goal mark.

Barzal a Calder candidate is on pace for 82 points.

Eberle is on pace to match or beat his career high in goals of 34.

Nick Leddy possible Norris candidate? He is currently on pace for nearly 70 points. 1 point behind points leader for defensemen and 1 goal behind goal leader for defensemen.

Isles under Doug Weight are 39-19-6, making one of the best runs in the NHL since last January. Possible coach of the year candidate?

Isles have yet to lose this year in regulation at the Barclays center (8 - 0 - 2)

Is this team legitimate? Even Josh Ho-Sang is starting to get going netting a few points in his last couple of games. Team has depth up the wazoo. Anyone can score at any given time. Top 6 looks to be probably the best top 6 in the league.

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Ladd - Barzal - Eberle

The only thing I can see holding this team back is goalie. Halak and Greiss have both been sub-par so far this season. If they want to make the playoffs and make some noise post season, one of these goalies needs to step up and take it to another level.

What are your thoughts? Are the Islanders contenders? Will they take the Metro this year? Currently sitting in 2nd and only 1 point behind Columbus, I think they have a shot. I think they also have a shot of having the best regular season in god knows how long. Can't wait to see where this team finishes. Simply put, the Isles are nasty yo.

Sources: (The Islanders’ offense is turning into one of the league’s most fearsome | The Hockey News) and (New York Islanders)

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Perhaps a bit premature as people are really quick to dismiss the Islanders.

I'd love to see them continue scoring at this rate, but realistically, they will hit a bump in the road, as does any NHL team over the course of an 82 game season. That being said, a few guys will definitely have career years to date, I think Bailey will wind up 50 Assists and Leddy with 60 points. JT will probably hit 40 G's for the first time in his career, how this translates to Wins, can't exactly say, but with that kind of production they will definitely be a playoff team.

The real question is, how does that translate to playoff success?

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
Perhaps a bit premature as people are really quick to dismiss the Islanders.

I'd love to see them continue scoring at this rate, but realistically, they will hit a bump in the road, as does any NHL team over the course of an 82 game season. That being said, a few guys will definitely have career years to date, I think Bailey will wind up 50 Assists and Leddy with 60 points. JT will probably hit 40 G's for the first time in his career, how this translates to Wins, can't exactly say, but with that kind of production they will definitely be a playoff team.

The real question is, how does that translate to playoff success?

If this was 10 games in I could see how this is premature. But now that we are about 1/3rd into the season and the Isles seem to be getting better and better each passing week, I think it says a lot about them and how they may very well keep up this pace barring any crazy injuries.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Still don't trust their goaltending if we are talking about them competing for the cup.

Last time halak had a good playoff run was back with the Habs, so talking about a long time ago.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Islanders are most definitely tasty, but a lot of it has to be due to flying high with a lot of confidence. I want to see what happens when they run through a rough patch of games, because currently they have the depth and talent to outscore everyone opponent.

PepsiMayWest

Nov 7, 2007
Montreal/Ottawa
Very interesting stats, I hope they can keep it up. I've always been a believer that a lot of playoff success in hockey is up to the luck of having a goaltender get hot, and Halak has at the very least done it in the past. His numbers are actually surprisingly consistent between playoffs and the regular season.

Halak playoff stats:
upload_2017-11-29_12-58-52.png

Halak regular season totals:
upload_2017-11-29_13-0-41.png

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Tavares is the most underrated player in the league

Eberle working out very well with Ladd and Barzal

CDH and Leddy has always been underrated too. They still need some help defensively. I thought Panthers were the better playoff team but JT carried them but now they have Barzal and Eberle for secondary scoring and a new Justin Bailey

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just did a quick check and the Islanders have the highest shooting percentage in the league this season at nearly 12% (league average is around 9%) and 4th highest PDO while coming in at 20th in CF% (49.3%). 13 guys are shooting at 9% or higher. The Isles are good and improved over last year but I think they're bound to regress a bit at some point this season. Even with a likely regression they're still a playoff team, in my opinion.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
The Canucks have been in most games this year, but the Isles worked them over badly last night. They looked like the most complete team that we have played so far this year. That Metro division will be a dogfight fight through the 2nd round of the playoffs though.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tavares is the most underrated player in the league

Eberle working out very well with Ladd and Barzal

CDH and Leddy has always been underrated too. They still need some help defensively. I thought Panthers were the better playoff team but JT carried them but now they have Barzal and Eberle for secondary scoring and a new Justin Bailey

It's Josh Bailey. Damn, he still gets no respect. :laugh:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What? It’s funny that a top pairing defenseman wins a Norris trophy? Oh because he’s not your regular Norris contender...he’s only a top pairing D in the NHL...how lame.
The award is for most proficient at the position. Regardless of the fact it’s somewhat become a d man scoring trophy, Nick Leddy isn’t winning the Norris. If I have to explain, you wouldn’t understand.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I love the way the team looks but it’s just a quarter of the season. Hard to sustain this level but if we could just keep the offense going and playing fast I like our chances.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
They're a really fun team to watch, some great players. Went on that big run last year and nearly made the playoffs - looks like they're picking up where they left off.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Absolutely none of these things will happen, besides Tavares maybe reaching his expected point totals, even that's up in the air...

Many teams look good/great early, can the isles do it the whole season? don't see it happening IMO.

Reactions: Pi

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Still don't trust their goaltending if we are talking about them competing for the cup.

Last time halak had a good playoff run was back with the Habs, so talking about a long time ago.

I know the emphasis is on playoff run but, as Slapshot stated, he was a rock in the first round against Washington three seasons ago. He's very streaky but, when he's on, he's a brick wall. We just have to hope that the team finishes the season strong and, assuming Snow doesn't make an upgrade in net, Halak can repeat his magic - from seven seasons ago.

Most importantly, the Islanders need to play better team defense.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I love the way the team looks but it’s just a quarter of the season. Hard to sustain this level but if we could just keep the offense going and playing fast I like our chances.

This

I think the Isles will make the playoffs, but I think they need to add a good 3rd line center (Filppula) and a good top 4 defenseman to solidify the lineup.

Halak has been playing better the last couple of games, but overall I think the offense has been overachieving just a bit, and the goaltending has been underachieving a bit. I expect those 2 things to even out over the course of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad