"The Insider" Jon Rosen no longer with the Kings

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The comments section on LAKI has the largest group of Kings fans posting on the internet that I regularly view. Facebook may have more, but I don’t have a FB account, so I’m not sure.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the moderation of fan comments on LAKI without JR.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Tough to see a SoCal native who has a long history with hockey and the Kings fan community be shown the door.

From the in game presentation to the replacement for Bob Miller, Luc Robitaille has done nothing but run this franchise into the ditch.

Going to the games is no longer fun outside of Dieter’s music. Using cheerleaders to clear the ice and run around the stands to generate crowd reactions is pandering to the lowest common denominator. Sponsoring every break in play is treating your fans in the building like a piece of meat that goes through the turnstile. There is no more community of Kings fans at our own home arena. Instead we are all just there to be marketed to as if we are all the same type of fan.

The guy who calls the games on TV is a superficial fan of the team and sport. He may be easy on the eyes and well spoken, but he’s shown no reason for Kings fans to believe he has something important to tell us about our team on any given game night. The guy is just there punching a clock till he gets a national broadcasting gig.

And I hate to say it, because I’m a real fan of the ATKM podcast, but that has also gone downhill. We used to hear actual Kings fans talking about the team. Now we get the marketing girl and cheerleader turned TV interviewer giving us bland, facile opinions about the team. I get the team is bad, so that makes it a challenge to come up with interesting content regularly. But what used to be something that I looked forward to every new episode is becoming just another front for PR/spin from management.

Welcome to Pro Sports in the millenial century, can you show me ONE sport that doesn't have what you talked about? The fact that you either didn't know this, or don't care, and still blame one person is mind boggling

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Welcome to Pro Sports in the millenial century, can you show me ONE sport that doesn't have what you talked about? The fact that you either didn't know this, or don't care, and still blame one person is mind boggling

I travel for work 50 - 75% of the year for my job, and have done that for about 15 years. During that time I’ve attended around two dozen nhl games in other teams arenas, mostly in the eastern US and Canada. In none of those games have I seen the same volume of marketing and non hockey related in game entertainment than the Kings.

I also moved to Orange County last year and attended one Ducks game. Even their presentation was better than the circus atmosphere at Staples, outside the music and goal celebration.

Reactions: KINGS17

He pukes you die

Jun 9, 2020
Hacksaw hasn't retired yet? Wow. I enjoyed Rosen's work. Once normalcy returns, I'm sure he'll get a gig. The Athletic is the only place for hockey news nowadays and even some of their contributors were impacted.

Define "retired" because Hacksaw's brain retired back in 1991.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
How to alienate your hardcore fans for $2000, Alex.

I get it, but it more irritates us than alienates us.

The play on the ice for most of this franchise's history is what should alienate hardcore fans but yet here we all are: still bitching about Erik Rasmussen while preparing for another year of Trevor Lewis on the 4th line.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
What is weird is that the organization spent the last couple of years chasing the casual fan at the expense of the more committed fanbase. I feel like Rosen did a great job as an ambassador for the organization and he was a quick way for casual fans to be acquainted with the team and what is happening. Firing him is kind of a poor decision if you are interested in gaining more casual fans.

On a personal note I am sad Rosen was fired, he was a local guy and a Kings fan. I appreciated his insights even when I disagreed with him and he was extremely professional. I'll always remember when he had to take over for Nickson for a few games and him calling Iginla scoring a goal, it was so much fun to hear how excited he was. He called the game better than Faust could ever dream of doing because there was personality behind the call. I do hope this is a temporary thing.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What is weird is that the organization spent the last couple of years chasing the casual fan at the expense of the more committed fanbase. I feel like Rosen did a great job as an ambassador for the organization and he was a quick way for casual fans to be acquainted with the team and what is happening. Firing him is kind of a poor decision if you are interested in gaining more casual fans.

On a personal note I am sad Rosen was fired, he was a local guy and a Kings fan. I appreciated his insights even when I disagreed with him and he was extremely professional. I'll always remember when he had to take over for Nickson for a few games and him calling Iginla scoring a goal, it was so much fun to hear how excited he was. He called the game better than Faust could ever dream of doing because there was personality behind the call. I do hope this is a temporary thing.

Agree on the personal side of things. Good dude.

Silver lining is the guy got to live a dream job for a good amount of time and rode shotgun through the 2014 Cup Run.

Reactions: crassbonanza

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yeah but what’s that worth really? Gotta maintain the ice, support staff for the rink, cleaning crews etc. All for what? Some hotel and restaurant revenue? It doesn’t seem that lucrative to me.

It would generate some revenue, and probably good pr for AEG . They'll be able to sell signage and other ads all over the area. AEG is basically an entertainment company , and without concerts and other event in all their arenas, can't make a dime. They're gonna lose billions during this crisis, so i'm sure they'll take what they can get.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I travel for work 50 - 75% of the year for my job, and have done that for about 15 years. During that time I’ve attended around two dozen nhl games in other teams arenas, mostly in the eastern US and Canada. In none of those games have I seen the same volume of marketing and non hockey related in game entertainment than the Kings.

I also moved to Orange County last year and attended one Ducks game. Even their presentation was better than the circus atmosphere at Staples, outside the music and goal celebration.

Same Volume? So you see the same exact thing....but....what at a lesser volume, what does that even mean?

I don't go to games anymore, can't stand people, so I just dont put myself in that situation, but I watch games from all over, and every single arena has "cheerleaders" who clean the ice, they all have sponsored timeouts, or sponsored goals, or whatever it is.....so what exactly is that you dont like, that the Kings do what everyone else does, just..more of it?

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
The time before 2012, Staples usually had some ads, but most everything was geared toward hockey, but it seemed after 2012 the Kings tried to strike when the iron was hot and had every moment of your time in the seat sponsored by something. The best way to describe this is the Kings Booster cub do a puck for a buck promotion. usually during the first whistle of the third period they would announce the seat winner on the jumbotron. After 2012 I asked the people at the booster table why they didn't announce the winner anymore. She said the 20 advertising spot was too lucrative to give away that time to the booster club.

Reactions: KINGS17

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Same Volume? So you see the same exact thing....but....what at a lesser volume, what does that even mean?

I don't go to games anymore, can't stand people, so I just dont put myself in that situation, but I watch games from all over, and every single arena has "cheerleaders" who clean the ice, they all have sponsored timeouts, or sponsored goals, or whatever it is.....so what exactly is that you dont like, that the Kings do what everyone else does, just..more of it?

fivehole32 gave a good example of the marketing promotion saturation at Chez Robitaille. When I was part of a season seats group in the early 2000s, during tv timeouts, you would have fun talking with the folks in your section and check out the out of town highlights on the Jumbotron. The crowd would cheer or boo based on the relevance to the Kings or if they showed a fight. Sometimes they would just play music and people would dance or sing along.

Now, they show an ad on the Jumbotron and send the spirit squad to out with the tshirt cannons while blasting circus music in order to get people in a frenzy. Thankfully the food and drink options are still great, so you can get away from the game if it’s a stinker.

Lemme know when you have been to Staples recently for a Kings game and what you think about the fan experience.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
fivehole32 gave a good example of the marketing promotion saturation at Chez Robitaille. When I was part of a season seats group in the early 2000s, during tv timeouts, you would have fun talking with the folks in your section and check out the out of town highlights on the Jumbotron. The crowd would cheer or boo based on the relevance to the Kings or if they showed a fight. Sometimes they would just play music and people would dance or sing along.

Now, they show an ad on the Jumbotron and send the spirit squad to out with the tshirt cannons while blasting circus music in order to get people in a frenzy. Thankfully the food and drink options are still great, so you can get away from the game if it’s a stinker.

Lemme know when you have been to Staples recently for a Kings game and what you think about the fan experience.

What you just described, is every stadium sport in North America, that's what I am telling you. You said fivehole32 gave a good example and chalked it up to Robitaille, but that was after 2012, now, I'm assuming he means 2013-2014 etc, could be he meant 2019, but the way it's phrased, I don't think so....

But tell me a team that ISNT selling advertising wherever and whenever they can, that isn't blasting music to get people in a frenzy, that isn't using tshirt cannons etc,

EDIT; I'm not saying its enjoyable, probably isnt, I'm saying you are trying to blame one person, which is ludicrous when it's all over sport....any sport.....

Reactions: DoktorJeep

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
What you just described, is every stadium sport in North America, that's what I am telling you. You said fivehole32 gave a good example and chalked it up to Robitaille, but that was after 2012, now, I'm assuming he means 2013-2014 etc, could be he meant 2019, but the way it's phrased, I don't think so....

But tell me a team that ISNT selling advertising wherever and whenever they can, that isn't blasting music to get people in a frenzy, that isn't using tshirt cannons etc,

EDIT; I'm not saying its enjoyable, probably isnt, I'm saying you are trying to blame one person, which is ludicrous when it's all over sport....any sport.....

Like I said, based on my time in other NHL arenas, Staples has the worst fan experience. So I’ll agree to disagree. And if you venture out to a Kings, let me know and I’ll buy you a beer and we can yell at each other over the arena audio during breaks in play.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Like I said, based on my time in other NHL arenas, Staples has the worst fan experience. So I’ll agree to disagree. And if you venture out to a Kings, let me know and I’ll buy you a beer and we can yell at each other over the arena audio during breaks in play.

Appreciate it, but I won't be going to another Kings game in my lifetime......3,000 mile commute

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
This is actually the only departure I maybe have ever had in my short time as a real Kings fan where I feel legitimately upset and sad. Rosen was an always insightful source of insider information, news, commentary, and an honestly unique perspective on the game. To me, he was never a corporate mouthpiece, but just someone who was intimately involved with the org. He was never shifty, or dishonest, or dismissive of concerns that fans had. It honestly makes me quietly reconsider my fandom that they couldn't find the money to keep or furlough him until next season starts or even until the next, incredibly important draft. Not reading his day after game reports will make all future seasons feel less real.

This year I made the decision to actually buy season tickets for next season, and I've been even doing my best to pay into that even while next season is in complete flux. But with Rosen leaving, this decision, which I was once confident in making with a team I loved, feels slightly worse.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
This means the next bit of programming you will see from the LA King swill be 7:30PM of the next opening night. If you want information about the Kings you will have to come to this site and others because the Kings are not interested in promoting their product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad