"The Insider" Jon Rosen no longer with the Kings

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I just don't understand why the broadcast team doesn't devote more time to the prospect pool. The team is shit. I don't want to watch a 3 minute segment of Austin Wagner walking his dog and getting a haircut in Manhattan Beach when we're down 3-0 in the 1st intermission.
I, for one, want to know where Wagner gets his dog a haircut!

Jun 30, 2006
Wow. I hope he wanted to leave himself.

He was very candid and solid in regards to the team. Not as much dumb fluff articles that would infuriate me in the past.

Nail on the head with his critiques.

Kick to the balls.

I’m just catching up on this news, a bit surprising given the financial backing this team has. Sounds like it’s more than just “we can’t afford his paycheck” issue.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I’m just catching up on this news, a bit surprising given the financial backing this team has. Sounds like it’s more than just “we can’t afford his paycheck” issue.

Jon was employed by AEG and the Kings, and also worked for FSW on the side. AEG has 30,000 employees worldwide, and has had to do massive cutbacks and layoffs worldwide, including internally with the Kings. No events now for 4 months, zero revenue flow, no foreseeable large indoor gatherings in the future. Jon was a victim of the pandemic, like millions of others. Don't read too much into this. I don't care how big your purse strings are, they can't survive forever without any income, just like any other business. This isn't great for the Kings or the NHL, and don't expect a lot of owners to be taking on bad contracts next season either. It's also a bad year to be a UFA.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I just don't understand why the broadcast team doesn't devote more time to the prospect pool. The team is shit. I don't want to watch a 3 minute segment of Austin Wagner walking his dog and getting a haircut in Manhattan Beach when we're down 3-0 in the 1st intermission.

Show us the Reign highlights, show us whatever prospect highlights you can get a hold of. I mean Kaliyev scored 44 goals and was 5th in scoring in the OHL, they easily could have had a 30 second Arty Party Update every week. It just seems so obvious to me that the best way to lighten the mood of an audience watching a garbage hockey team is to highlight all the reasons suggesting that they might not be a garbage hockey team for too much longer, not distract them with the same dull fluff pieces.

I don't mind the first thing if we get the second too, but the second is the nonexistent part.

I mean the first part is annoying but it's smart social media marketing and a way to get the mind share of non-kings-fans, maybe go viral, draw some new folks. It also gives us some personality insight which is good.

I could stomach the outreach efforts if they threw the current and long-term fans a bone with the second part and really solidified the current and new fans by showing them the future, etc. But that's been missing for as long as I can remember and is frankly a huge organizational media failing. The elimination of Rosen takes another chunk out of that as well as removes a fan community where one COULD share those things, ask direct questions, etc.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
AEG has 30,000 employees worldwide, and has had to do massive cutbacks and layoffs worldwide, including internally with the Kings. No events now for 4 months, zero revenue flow, no foreseeable large indoor gatherings in the future.
I don't think people around here realize just how dire things probably are for AEG right now. The Kings will be affected.

AEG is a privately held company so we don't know their books, but they're clearly under financial stress.

I assume they'll have to borrow money to stay afloat. If COVID continues into late this year, or even next year, AEG could be bankrupt. It's not as far fetched as it sounds.

People critical of Rosen's firing are incredibly naive.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I totally understand why AEG has to watch their bottom line, but I’m still upset that Rosen was let go. I’m not naive, just sad to see him go.
And there will be many more throughout AEG - we probably won’t know who they are. It doesn’t make the layoffs any less tragic, but just part of the economics of this pandemic.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't think people around here realize just how dire things probably are for AEG right now. The Kings will be affected.

AEG is a privately held company so we don't know their books, but they're clearly under financial stress.

I assume they'll have to borrow money to stay afloat. If COVID continues into late this year, or even next year, AEG could be bankrupt. It's not as far fetched as it sounds.

Yeah just think, when this is all over Anschutz might only be worth a billion or two. How will he put food on the table?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah just think, when this is all over Anschutz might only be worth a billion or two. How will he put food on the table?

What a completely ridiculous post. That is not what @johnjm22 said, it's not even in the same universe.

Businesses go bankrupt all the time, it doesn't mean that the chief executive is going to be broke also. If AEG goes a calendar year with zero income it is indeed a possibility that they could have to declare some kind of bankruptcy. Very few businesses can go that long with zero incoming revenues.

You seem to have a strong dislike for wealthy people.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
What a completely ridiculous post. That is not what @johnjm22 said, it's not even in the same universe.

Businesses go bankrupt all the time, it doesn't mean that the chief executive is going to be broke also. If AEG goes a calendar year with zero income it is indeed a possibility that they could have to declare some kind of bankruptcy. Very few businesses can go that long with zero incoming revenues.

You seem to have a strong dislike for wealthy people.
AEG is a privately held company

What's ridiculous is that there's no shortage of people in the world tripping over themselves to gargle the balls of billionaires. That's billion with a "b". And yeah businesses go bankrupt all the time, but the Kings aren't going bankrupt for losing 7 home games. You think it's great that some low level peons get sent back to the projects with food stamps so someone else can keep wiping their ass with 1,000 dollar bills, that's your prerogative, but I think it's pretty shitty.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What's ridiculous is that there's no shortage of people in the world tripping over themselves to gargle the balls of billionaires. That's billion with a "b". And yeah businesses go bankrupt all the time, but the Kings aren't going bankrupt for losing 7 home games. You think it's great that some low level peons get sent back to the projects with food stamps so someone else can keep wiping their ass with 1,000 dollar bills, that's your prerogative, but I think it's pretty shitty.
gargle the balls? he gave a cold financial commentary about the business specifically and didn't even mention anschutz or his opinion

chill out

Reactions: kenito7

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
gargle the balls? he gave a cold financial commentary about the business specifically and didn't even mention anschutz or his opinion

chill out
If you wanna play that game, I didn’t mention anyone specifically with Anshutz’ junk in their mouth either. People can keep talking about “how it works” but I don’t care because how it works is broken.

Also: calmer than you.

Jun 30, 2006
Jon was employed by AEG and the Kings, and also worked for FSW on the side. AEG has 30,000 employees worldwide, and has had to do massive cutbacks and layoffs worldwide, including internally with the Kings. No events now for 4 months, zero revenue flow, no foreseeable large indoor gatherings in the future. Jon was a victim of the pandemic, like millions of others. Don't read too much into this. I don't care how big your purse strings are, they can't survive forever without any income, just like any other business. This isn't great for the Kings or the NHL, and don't expect a lot of owners to be taking on bad contracts next season either. It's also a bad year to be a UFA.

The budget for the Kings should already have been paid for, there were only 7 games left in the season. There’s also executives in AEG/Kings that are still making 6 and 7 figures during this pandemic.

Rosen wasn’t commanding a lot of money in comparison to other employees of AEG. To me the money issue is just an excuse for a company that is worth billions.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
AEG won't go bankrupt because of the Kings. If they go bankrupt it would be because they have no income for an extended period time. Very few businesses can go 6+ months without any revenue.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I totally understand why AEG has to watch their bottom line, but I’m still upset that Rosen was let go. I’m not naive, just sad to see him go.
And there will be many more throughout AEG - we probably won’t know who they are. It doesn’t make the layoffs any less tragic, but just part of the economics of this pandemic.
This is it, the problem is that there will be many people that fall into the bracket of Rosen in terms of their cost and the numbers will add up. If he was the only person being let go then perhaps it would be fair to say that it’s unjustified, however he will be one of a number of people have been let go. Who is to say that he’s any more or less important than any of those other people, but him keeping his job just for the optics certainly would not have been fair to those others. I’m sure they have let many people and it must’ve been a very hard process. There will be lots of loyal dedicated people that have been shown the door and you can only hope that there will be job offers back on the table once all this is over.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Are you ok with how these billionaires in tech are allowed to have ridiculously powerful monopolies and sensor people they don't agree with politically? Or when their propoganda and influence aligns with your thoughts, is it something you are proud to support?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Uncle Phil definitely has a bidet.

Reactions: tny760

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The budget for the Kings should already have been paid for, there were only 7 games left in the season. There’s also executives in AEG/Kings that are still making 6 and 7 figures during this pandemic.

Rosen wasn’t commanding a lot of money in comparison to other employees of AEG. To me the money issue is just an excuse for a company that is worth billions.
The thing that bothered me the most about letting Rosen go was his role in servicing the hard core fans with "insider" information was discarded by the organization. It sends a message to me that the Kings brass takes me for granted. Maybe they are right for the majority of hard core fans and I am an outlier, but I haven't attended a game at Staples Center in around five years.

On the plus side I have spent more of my entertainment dollars on attending live college football and basketball games than I have in years. I was reminded of how much fun it can be, because those kids make mistakes and they rarely stop hustling.

I think the Kings better get serious about pleasing the hard core fans, because the others come and go depending on the position of the Kings in the standings, and even more so success or lack of it in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Are you ok with how these billionaires in tech are allowed to have ridiculously powerful monopolies and sensor people they don't agree with politically? Or when their propoganda and influence aligns with your thoughts, is it something you are proud to support?
Nice try but I’m not taking that bait. Suffice to say I’d be perfectly happy if Twitter and Facebook fell into a black hole and we’re never seen again.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The think that bothered me the most about letting Rosen go was his role in servicing the hard core fans with "insider" information was discarded by the organization. It sends a message to me that the Kings brass takes me for granted. Maybe they are right for the majority of hard core fans and I am an outlier, but I haven't attended a game at Staples Center in around five years.

On the plus side I have spent more of my entertainment dollars on attending live college football and basketball games than I have in years. I was reminded of how much fun it can be, because those kids make mistakes and they rarely stop hustling.

I think the Kings better get serious about pleasing the hard core fans, because the others come and go depending on the position of the Kings in the standings, and even more so success or lack of it in the playoffs.

I agree that it's a mistake and a bad thing for the Kings, but I am not even sure if this was a Kings decision. How much financial autonomy do the Kings have within AEG?
This very well may have just been an AEG wide thing to cut costs across the board with the massive hits they are taking worldwide and Rosen was just one of many victims.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Uncle Phil definitely has a bidet.

upload_2020-6-21_20-36-25.jpeg

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad