"The Insider" Jon Rosen no longer with the Kings

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I totally agree, it's not surprising to see AEG paring back.

I would just think even from a ROI perspective that Rosen is more than worth it. Who is their hockey fan engagement now? Most of the locals are with The Athletic. Kings coverage and connection with the audience just went poof. There had to have been much bigger line items that wouldn't have done so much damage.

I wonder how much it costs to keep the ice up at Staples per day. Also gotta wonder how much someone like Rosen was making. I can't imagine it being more than 200k/year.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I was hard on Hammond because his position changed once he was employed by the Kings/AEG. With Rosen, you knew what you were getting from Day 1 but he colored his stories with more opinions as he became more comfortable.

The concern now is that you will just get completely canned and bland releases directly from the team. Also, seems you can forget about an AHL Insider too.

AEG is obviously getting hit by the lack of events at Staples, LA Live and in its other entertainment holdings but this is a pretty bad look.

What's more worrisome is when you look at this when coupled with the non-renewals of Futa and Stothers. Seems like they won't even replace Futa, essentially axing the position. With Stothers, is it really about a "developmental" coach or about saving money? What kind of players did Stothers have to develop anyways?

I was already banging the drum before the end of the '19 season that AEG expected the team to be bad and was not going to be interested in spending money. When they didn't raise ticket prices, that was abundantly clear. They then had the opportunity to buy a 1st round pick with Marleau but didn't do it, something a rebuilding team with aspirations to return to contention should be all over.

Now, I understand it because they spent a lot to try to keep the ride going and wound up paying people to not GM, not coach and to not play here with the Kovy signing being the cherry on the sundae. The worry moving forward could be will they be willing to spend or are we going back to the Lie-weekly days when Piston got a chance to look at the books? The prospects hopefully make this somewhat a moot point but they are going to need to augment these prospects with proven talent even if the prospects hit at a high rate.
Sounds like it's time to combine the positions of President/Alternate Governor and VP/GM, if you ask me.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I will also add, AEG should not be seen as a bottomless pit, and the individual wealth of the chairman should not have any bearing on financial decisions made by each company within the group, that is not how business works. I really doubt this decision even made it up to PA. As BK said they have been paying Richards, Lombardi, Sutter, Phaneuf, Stevens and Kovalchuk to not work for the team. I’ve said this here before, eventually the bean counters were going to put an end to it, especially with basically no playoff revenues the last 6 years now. I disagree with Rosen because I think it hurts fan connection and is likely a minor cut, but stuff like Futa and Stothers happen when you’re losing money.
I agree with your basic premise. Spending less money on something most educated fans is not the way to go in this case. Another couple of years of these kind of finishes in the standings, and the educated fans will be all that is left. I am convinced the team will be showing improvement as I measure it over that time, but maybe not so much in the standings.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Something something peasant joke I’m too rich to understand.
Yeah, and you obviously didn't get my point, which was my agreement with your point. That is, if you know what eventually happened to the person who was famous for saying, "Let them eat cake."

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Poor move in my opinion. Rosen was really good and went above and beyond his station. Hopefully, they replace the position soon, but I doubt whoever takes over the reigns next will be as good as Rosen was during his tenure. I guess Lisa Dillman of The Athletic takes over as the most trusted or official Kings source.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Hacksaw hasn't retired yet? Wow. I enjoyed Rosen's work. Once normalcy returns, I'm sure he'll get a gig. The Athletic is the only place for hockey news nowadays and even some of their contributors were impacted.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I totally agree, it's not surprising to see AEG paring back.

I would just think even from a ROI perspective that Rosen is more than worth it. Who is their hockey fan engagement now? Most of the locals are with The Athletic. Kings coverage and connection with the audience just went poof. There had to have been much bigger line items that wouldn't have done so much damage.

I was thinking about this too. Of all the things to cut out, AEG chose a well liked guy who reports on the Kings, you know, the guy who write positive stuff even when they're not playing so good. . So now what, they're going to pay some right out of college kid 48k a year to cover the team, who tries to get noticed by having an edge to his/her writing? You know there was one guy in that meeting saying anyone can do his job for a half of what we're paying him.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I wonder how much it costs to keep the ice up at Staples per day. Also gotta wonder how much someone like Rosen was making. I can't imagine it being more than 200k/year.

You have to wonder how hard is AEG pushing for staples to be used as a site for the playoffs. I know they're one of the final destination the nhl is considering.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
This is crappy news. I liked Rosen. Still a lot of people at home, working from home, etc. if I were LA I would be spreading the news and pimping the draft etc. Try to reach out to people during some possible down time. It’s not like it’s up here in Canada where I just have to turn the channel to hear something about the Leafs, Oilers or Canadians in the middle of summer. It’s very rare we hear LA news and I found it nice to be able to logon and check out what Rosen had to say. Hope he lands in his feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad