The Immature Team

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
So our players gained more experience but got more immature?

This team is playing worse than the team 2 years ago

Reactions: rubous

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Lol what? That is not true at all. The overwhelming consensus was that Boston was going to stomp the Leafs. "Boston in 3" was the most common phrase. Nobody gave us a chance.
If you only remember the people posting with a clear anti leafs bias then yea to you it'll be untrue but a lot of level headed fans including some Boston ones said it's rightfully unclear who the favourite is going in. Plus on this forum the Bruins were in no way regarded as highly as they are now that they beat their ass twice.

Reactions: ACC1224

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Doesn't surprise me that you don't want to give him and credit, you seem to prefer they lose.

I'll be giving Keefe the same support as I have any coach of the Leafs, whether it's Babcock/Carlyle/Horachek/Maurice/Quinn.

I'm pro-coach almost always with the one exception being Ron Wilson.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If you only remember the people posting with a clear anti leafs bias then yea to you it'll be untrue but a lot of level headed fans including some Boston ones said it's rightfully unclear who the favourite is going in. Plus on this forum the Bruins were in no way regarded as highly as they are now that they beat their ass twice.
Boston was the overwhelming favourite by pretty much everybody. Weird thing to try and rewrite.

Also, "beat their ***"? They barely won in 7 games both times.

Reactions: stopclickbait

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Playoffs should be expected.
If he gets them past the 1st round he will be credited for it.

We'll see if that's the case, I have a feeling a few on here will be absent for a while if that happens.

Certain posters love to hate on the team, and nitpick the right stats to avoid context and give the team no credit.

Just take a look at the last stat I posted for pt%, completely appropriate stat to look at in the Leafs current state, but instead of replying appropriately I get a BS post mocking the current coach.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We'll see if that's the case, I have a feeling a few on here will be absent for a while if that happens.

Certain posters love to hate on the team, and nitpick the right stats to avoid context and give the team no credit.

Just take a look at the last stat I posted for pt%, completely appropriate stat to look at in the Leafs current state, but instead of replying appropriately I get a BS post mocking the current coach.
You'll always have that and just as many if not more than can see very little wrong with the current regime.
Selective reading is necessary here.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm sorry, but despite the shortcomings of the roster and injuries, the primary reason we are not currently in a playoff spot is goaltending. Combine the horrid backup goaltending we had up until recently with Freddy's abysmal play as of late and there have been at least a dozen points squandered.

With consistent above average goaltending, we would currently be sitting comfortably in a playoff spot, despite everything else.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
And has probably stolen about 20 point for this team, give your head a shake, everyone has rough patches

He has not stolen anywhere near that many points for us this season. He has probably cost us more points than he has stolen.

I think Freddy has been tremendous for us for stretches in the past, but overall, this has not been a good season for him thus far and he has performed below expectations.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Raise your hand if you thought we'd be behind Columbus after Columbus watched Panarin, Dzingel, Duchene and Bobrosky walk.

I think we could add Florida to that category as well.

I mentioned that I was following them and wondering if they might improve enough to make the playoffs this year, and that seemed to trigger folks & draw their ire. However, it sure seems like it was a valid thing to consider. Teams that are a just notch below often find ways of making themselves better. Our competitors do not remain static.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Playoffs should be expected.
If he gets them past the 1st round he will be credited for it.

That is true, but I'm not really concerned with being regular season champs anymore. It's playoff success or failure

So, true. That has been my stance since this summer as well. I think we need more than getting past the 1st round too (e.g. Conference finals as the minimum). We are deep into the rebuild now and given past failures, its time for this to happen this year!

Last edited:

Jack Flask

Jan 21, 2020
He has not stolen anywhere near that many points for us this season. He has probably cost us more points than he has stolen.

I think Freddy has been tremendous for us for stretches in the past, but overall, this has not been a good season for him thus far and he has performed below expectations.
A goalie is only as good as the team in front of him. Sure hes had some softies but guess what, this team is SOFT and all this debating adds up to one thing, the inevitable early playoff exit, IF they make the playoffs!
Im not hating on the Leafs , I love the Leafs but its obvious all these stats masters have forgotten to add heart , grit and sandpaper and it shows. Enjoy the ballet while it lasts but it aint going far.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

The immaturity was ingrained by the previous coach who constantly preached that TO had to play a game that was counter to their abilities, hopefully now TO can learn to win by playing to it's strengths.

2 years ago TO's 3 best players were making about 7 mil. combined and therefore TO had a ton of experience with Polak, Leo, Bozak, JVR, plus and we know that wasn't the right experience it was just expensive experience. Experience does matter so now we need to patiently wait for this team to become experienced.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I conveyed a similar notion earlier as to why "immaturity" excuse doesn't seem to have a lot of merit. IMO

If 20/21 year old Marner/Matthews/Nylander etc can be part of the 105 all-time franchise best team than how can you 2 years later use that they got less mature with age?

Seems like an oxymoron to suggest the older the players mature the more immature they become is the reason for the poor results, in games they get blown out in and called out for.

Reactions: Duffman955

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Tavares being the worst captain in team history and Andersen blaming everyone except himself, including the fans is why.

Tavares? Worst captain in history? Don’t you remember our last one, literally the last one before Tavares? Not even saying he’s the worst but wth.

Hope your ttc is late today

Reactions: rubous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad