The Immature Team

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
How do the Leafs become more mature?

Is this on Dubas to bring in more role models?

Is this on Keefe to coach them up to the expected maturity level?

Is this on Tavares and Rielly and Matthews and Marner as the leadership core to act like mature leaders on this team?

Is this something that will naturally evolve into a mature group over time and we all need to be patient?

Immature_-_Constantly_Never_Lie_single_cover.jpg

Photoshop anyone?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Trade all three of the overpaid kids for grizzled vets over 35 years of age. :sarcasm:

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
For whatever Twittified reason, the notion of a talented young team learning (ie experience) to win through defeat (repeatedly) is too obscure to be true for many (most?) in Leafs Nation.

Depending on the streak, these threads don’t pop up. It’s almost like our team reflects the impetuous nature of its fan base.

Reactions: Eb and Rogie

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
For whatever Twittified reason, the notion of a talented young team learning (ie experience) to win through defeat (repeatedly) is too obscure to be true for many (most?) in Leafs Nation.

Depending on the streak, these threads don’t pop up. It’s almost like our team reflects the impetuous nature of its fan base.

The fly in the ointment has been there for some seasons now. Are they a better team today for back to back losses against Boston? I don't think so. So what have they learned? Or are we just not yet at the critical mass where failure becomes experience?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Tavares being the worst captain in team history and Andersen blaming everyone except himself, including the fans is why.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Sometimes it's easy to forget that these guys are kids. They're still human even though they have a life that we can't really relate to. It will come and I think you see it individually with a few guys, but theres still a bit of growing up to be done. That being said, aside from the Panthers game we probably look a lot worse because of poor goaltending. I still expect them to pull through.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's almost like people on the message forum are reacting to what happens on the ice...

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
How do the Leafs become more mature?

Is this on Dubas to bring in more role models?

Is this on Keefe to coach them up to the expected maturity level?

Is this on Tavares and Rielly and Matthews and Marner as the leadership core to act like mature leaders on this team?

Is this something that will naturally evolve into a mature group over time and we all need to be patient?

Immature_-_Constantly_Never_Lie_single_cover.jpg

Photoshop anyone?

Attachments

• CBA2C4C8-55CB-49B5-A496-E55BC3D18C7E.jpeg
    CBA2C4C8-55CB-49B5-A496-E55BC3D18C7E.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 6

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
"That [immaturity] line really stands out to me and is something I’ve heard him reference before just in working with him a little bit.

Here is going to be my analogy for the Toronto Maple Leafs: Some sports are about being able to do stuff that no one else can do. Think about the long-drive contest in golf. You stand there and whoever can physically hit it the longest wins. If that guy can’t hit it as far as that guy, that is just the end of it. You don’t have to hit a billion of them in a row; you just need one time to hit it once further than everyone else. There are sports like darts, where every professional darts player can throw a bullseye and everyone can throw a triple 20, but who can do it over and over and over again? To bring it back to golf, we can all hit a good shot, but can you make yourself mentally get in the position to hit that shot you know you are capable of hitting?

This is the Toronto Maple Leafs to me, where they’re the long-drive guy. They’re Jason Zuback. They’re a bomber who can do it. They have talents that others do not have. They physically cannot get to the Leafs’ level, but the Leafs don’t have the maturity to get themselves to be in a position to be their best consistently — to do the things that they can do over and over and over. That takes experience. It takes years in the league. You see guys like Jonathan Toews and Sidney Crosby and Tavares is even a guy who has hinted at it. You get the effort and you get the performance all the time. I don’t see that from the Leafs.

I see that from the Leafs. People say they’re not working hard; they’re physically working hard, but you need to work hard mentally. We don’t see that as well, but when you see such inconsistent results, I don’t see the mental work that is necessary to be an elite team. That comes with age and maturity and professionalism. That is what I think Keefe was saying with “immaturity.”

[Leafs Links] Debating Sheldon Keefe's "immaturity" comment; Darren Dreger: "Kyle Dubas has had conversations with clubs about [defensemen] we haven’t identified yet" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Sometimes it's easy to forget that these guys are kids. They're still human even though they have a life that we can't really relate to. It will come and I think you see it individually with a few guys, but theres still a bit of growing up to be done. That being said, aside from the Panthers game we probably look a lot worse because of poor goaltending. I still expect them to pull through.
I dont think Marincin is human. He has some kind of mystical super power that us humans dont have. I mean how can anyone play this Shytty for so many years and is still getting contracts.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
They have to decide to care. Guys like Crosby, McDavid, and Bergeron don’t take nights off (if they do it’s extremely rare).Too often our best guys decide to coast through games or throw in the towel when the going gets tough.

They’re capable of playing a full game and completing comebacks, but they still lack that killer instinct when they have a lead and aren’t consistent with their effort.

Yeah our defence has been hit hard with injuries and the goaltending has left a lot to be desired recently, but that’s still no excuse for not bringing it every day. They’ve got the coach and system now to thrive, time to start showing up and accomplish something.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->