The hole on the second line (Tangradi -> Kennedy -> Glass -> ???)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Sure a player with a little more skill would be great but they need a puck getter so I don't mind Glass. Talbot would be perfect now that Malkin has Neal. He would fit right into that 3rd wheel role.

I think that in the long run Kunitz moves back to that line and Sid gets 2 new wingers. One might be Bennett sooner than we think.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Bottom line is, we need to move Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal and acquire a winger for Crosby.

The Kunitz, Malkin, Neal line was the best line in hockey last year. It's obvious the Tangradi, Kennedy, Glass experiments on the 2nd line have failed or Bylsma doesn't have the patience to see them through.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Glass looked better than ET and Kennedy, but that isn't exactly a ringing endorsment. It HAS to be brutally evident to Shero that he needs to get a winger for Sid (Kunitz can go back to Geno).

Question, with this half a season, is there a trade deadline? I mean, i assume there is, but when is it?

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Glass looked better than ET and Kennedy, but that isn't exactly a ringing endorsment. It HAS to be brutally evident to Shero that he needs to get a winger for Sid (Kunitz can go back to Geno).

Question, with this half a season, is there a trade deadline? I mean, i assume there is, but when is it?

Yes, it's something like March 4th.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jesus Bylsma just put Vitale on LW and let the goals flow already. Enough with the foreplay.

Speaking of Joe Victory as a winger, I'd love to see him as a right winger on the 4th line with Adams in the press box where he belongs. Something like a Tangradi - Jeffrey - Vitale type of deal.

If Glass is going to be with Geno for another game, that is. Hell I don't get why Bylsma won't try Jeffrey with Geno & Neal. Or even Cooke. Glass? Whatever, at this point the dumb stuff Bylsma does is expected.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Speaking of Joe Victory as a winger, I'd love to see him as a right winger on the 4th line with Adams in the press box where he belongs. Something like a Tangradi - Jeffrey - Vitale type of deal.

If Glass is going to be with Geno for another game, that is. Hell I don't get why Bylsma won't try Jeffrey with Geno & Neal. Or even Cooke. Glass? Whatever, at this point the dumb stuff Bylsma does is expected.

I'd love to see a bottom six of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis and Glass-Vitale-Kennedy, but neither what I nor you want will happen unless someone, somehow pried the lineup card from Bylsma's hands.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
This is what I posted in the +/- thread...

I agree here, even though Glass should on paper be no where near a top 6... He did seem to create space for them or be able to hold the puck in... If Tangradi isn't going to be the legit power forward we need on this team this season. Maybe a poor mans power forward is the answer as the team is as a roster right now.

Give him a 2-3 cup of coffee on that line and see how it works out. They are producing on their own (Neal and Malkin)... So why not give it a try. It could not hurt, its a no cost option.

In responds/agreeing with...

I'd give Malkin a minus for 2/3 of the game, but Malkin and Neal looked better with Glass in the third period of this game than they've looked with anyone else all season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you'll find yourself in a small minority on this one.

EDIT: Just looked. Malkin was credited with 4 takeaways in this game, and I'm pretty sure all of them came in the third . . . with Glass out there with him. He's not a solution, but he's better than any alternative, I think.

Ideally... Would any team want to put Glass in a top 6... No. No. No... A thousand times no! But, the fact is Malkin and Neal are producing on their own. That line had everyone flanking it at some point today from Crosby to Adams during shift changes or mixed up lines. And until the third when Glass was there, I did not see a lot of space for their of Neal or Malkin unless it was something they themselves created or the defensive scheme of the opposing team broke down.

He is not a top 6 winger, by no means in any universe. But if Tangradi isn't going to be the power forward option we need for that line. And until/if a trade for a winger happens and Kunitz is mated to Sid's hip. Then he is a no cost option for this team. Give him a 2-3 game shot, and just see what happens. Malkin and Neal are producing on their own, it can in no way hurt. Only help. And if it fails... Drop him back down the lineup and try another idea/tactic.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I suppose it is a somewhat desperate solution, but at this point I would like to see Vitale as the third wheel on the Malkin line. He is dedicated defensively, makes the simple plays, has the prerequisite speed and surely has better hands than for instance Glass. As added benefits Vitale can take draws on Geno's off-side and when he gets open Geno will like having a RH shot to go to.

It would hurt the 4th line (probably not as much as Kennedy's absence is hurting the third though) and isn't a long term solution, but Vitale is the most Talbot like option we have. I suppose what I am saying is that it could work. OR... considering that he is about the only player we haven't seen there yet, I am way out of bounds :D.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I suppose it is a somewhat desperate solution, but at this point I would like to see Vitale as the third wheel on the Malkin line. He is dedicated defensively, makes the simple plays, has the prerequisite speed and surely has better hands than for instance Glass. As added benefits Vitale can take draws on Geno's off-side and when he gets open Geno will like having a RH shot to go to.

It would hurt the 4th line (probably not as much as Kennedy's absence is hurting the third though) and isn't a long term solution, but Vitale is the most Talbot like option we have. I suppose what I am saying is that it could work. OR... considering that he is about the only player we haven't seen there yet, I am way out of bounds :D.

It may be desperate, but it also could be the best solution. Just one problem: The Dan Bylsma of 2009 who made a comparable move with Talbot out of desperation. I just don't see THAT Bylsma anymore.

aSockalypse

Feb 9, 2011
I'm all for reuniting the Kunitz - Geno - Neal. They did OKAY last season (sarcasm)
Kuny doesn't look like half the player this year, pretty terrible actually, and I'm hoping it's just rust but there's no reason to shift him back there. Crosby is going to make anybody look good up there, ffs he's made Duper more like the blockbuster player in the Hossa deal.

I DO think that Tangradi slowly improves game to game, getting more comfortable in the league and I liked him game today incredibly more than Philly/NYR.. so whatever keep him up see what he can do.. FOR NOW. I was Tangradis biggest hater first two games but I'm coming to my senses and extended my assessment on him.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I see the Ducks are bringing up Emerson Etem. I think he was picked right after Bennett. Would it hurt to bring Bennett up just to see? I don't think so. Course I think they said he was hurt at the moment, and maybe there's a waiver issue I missed

Alesle

Jan 5, 2008
Oslo, Norway
I see the Ducks are bringing up Emerson Etem. I think he was picked right after Bennett. Would it hurt to bring Bennett up just to see? I don't think so. Course I think they said he was hurt at the moment, and maybe there's a waiver issue I missed

If Niskanen goes on IR it would open up a roster spot. As such I would like to see Bennett given a chance, provided of course that the injury that kept him out against Marlies isn't serious. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? He doesn't exactly have to be spectacular in order to be an improvement on what we've seen alongside Malkin and Neal this season.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Let's put Lovejoy on wing :)

Hell he's the deepest player in the offensive zone while playing defense half the time, at least that way when he's not playing defense you can forgive it a little.

Oh and it would allow Bortuzzo/Despre/? to actually develop as well.

;)

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
Let's put Lovejoy on wing :)

Hell he's the deepest player in the offensive zone while playing defense half the time, at least that way when he's not playing defense you can forgive it a little.

Oh and it would allow Bortuzzo/Despre/? to actually develop as well.

;)

If we are putting a defenseman on the wing. I want Engo on the wing. Engo would be good in front of the net. :naughty:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Lovejoy for Top 6 Winger! Errey will lose his mind...

"Ben really Love's the JOY of playing next to Evgeni Malkin, Steigy!"

"Mister Lovejoy.... lovin' the joy of feeding the puck to one Sidney Crosby. SID THE KID, steigy!"

"The Joy of Lovejoy, Steigy... gotta have it! Of course I'm referring to that great book [producer off air: ERREY NO SEX COMMENTS! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS!]... uh... Gotta have that joy... holy cow look at Sutter's pickle-stabber!"

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Agree to disagree, and I know you're probably shaking your head in disbelief at that, I just think that nerves are a factor but not anywhere to the degree you're saying. I know he hasn't played a ton but he's logged 40+ NHL games now. Yeah the linemates are great and the pressure to produce is there, but I think despite all that you just play hockey after awhile. I've never heard of a documented case where a player was just so blown away by his linemates that he was rendered virtually ineffective for 3 games but in reality had much more talent.

I agree the benching is weird and it has always seemed like Bylsma has had it out for him. To your point a regular shift on the 4th line is likely a good thing. As Grove mentioned this morning, the pressure will be off and he'll be getting a regular shift. My only word of caution is that, whatever line he's on, he is going to have to show at least a Matt Cooke-level of potential for offense at some point very soon.

It's really not something that can be debated, TBH.

When a player is afraid of being benched for every little mistake they make, they're going to over-think every little play and eventually make more mistakes.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It's really not something that can be debated, TBH.

When a player is afraid of being benched for every little mistake they make, they're going to over-think every little play and eventually make more mistakes.

Seriously. I have no idea how this point can even be debated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad