The hole on the second line (Tangradi -> Kennedy -> Glass -> ???)

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I thought he played fine, especially considering the alternatives.

Or are you advocating Jeffery up there? Or Adams :sarcasm:

I'm advocating moving Kunitz back there since he's had a hard time getting up to speed.

I said it before, but why are we putting the one player who shoots every single chance he gets with the two best goal scorers on our team from a season ago? Not only that but he sucks on his off side in his own zone.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I'm advocating moving Kunitz back there since he's had a hard time getting up to speed.

I said it before, but why are we putting the one player who shoots every single chance he gets with the two best goal scorers on our team from a season ago? Not only that but he sucks on his off side in his own zone.

so.... Duper - Crosby - TK ?

no thanks.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
so.... Duper - Crosby - TK ?

no thanks.

Would be a lot better of an option than Kennedy with Malkin and Neal. Of course why even bother trying something that might actually work since you're putting guys in a place that they can succeed given certain playing styles.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Maybe once we get a legit winger threat for Sid, but $8.7M is a lot to pay for a checking line center otherwise.

So Kunitz playing like crap and Dupuis isn't making Crosby a glorified checking line center right now?

At least Kennedy can carry the puck and create his own space. Just imagine those 3 on the forecheck too. Not something an opposing team would like to see.

Until we can get Sid better options, that's the best we can do, unless they want to try Tangradi again.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Honestly, if they're done with Tangradi or scapegoating him, then I'd rather they put Cooke up with Malkin and Neal than TK for the time being. At least Cooke will a) be on his natural wing, and b) get to the dirty areas and do the hard work so Malkin and Neal can do their things.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
So Kunitz playing like crap and Dupuis isn't making Crosby a glorified checking line center right now?

At least Kennedy can carry the puck and create his own space. Just imagine those 3 on the forecheck too. Not something an opposing team would like to see.

Until we can get Sid better options, that's the best we can do, unless they want to try Tangradi again.

Agree to disagree.

Sid is scoring, so Kunitz will get his chances.

Sid and TK have played together before and Sid was visibly frustrated, I'd prefer that the best player in the world have some semblance of a scoring threat.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Honestly, if they're done with Tangradi or scapegoating him, then I'd rather they put Cooke up with Malkin and Neal than TK for the time being. At least Cooke will a) be on his natural wing, and b) get to the dirty areas and do the hard work so Malkin and Neal can do their things.

I'd rather do this instead of TK (or Cooke) on Sid's line

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Yeah, but what about the third line? :shakehead

It's the same logic why Vitale never sniffs more than a defensive zone draw shift with Malkin.

It's not about finding the best possible option among a series of less than ideal options, otherwise Vitale would've seen some time already with Geno and Neal and Jeffrey would play significant minutes there today.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah, but what about the third line? :shakehead

It's the same logic why Vitale never sniffs more than a defensive zone draw shift with Malkin.

It's not about finding the best possible option among a series of less than ideal options, otherwise Vitale would've seen some time already with Geno and Neal and Jeffrey would play significant minutes there today.

If they're done with Tangradi and aren't yet ready to make a deal for another top 6 winger, then I'd like to see the Pens role these lines for the time being:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale/Jeffrey-Adams

The top two lines would each have two skill guys (Crosby/Bennett, Malkin/Neal), and guys that can do the dirty work (Kunitz and Dupuis).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I thought TK did a good job of supporting Neal coming up the ice on multiple occassions. Offensively, I was happy with the things Malkin's line was doing and thought TK acquitted himself well. He was passing the puck a little like I used to see him do back in the day.

I'm sure everyone got a laugh in the first period when Neal sent a pass across the ice to Malkin and TK came out of nowhere and stole it. Malkin was frozen with his gun cocked looking stupid and I was cracking up. But TK drew a penalty on the play.

TK to me still isn't the answer unless he magically becomes the guy I saw in the A who was a deft passer and could finish as well. For now, he can hopefully be a stop gap.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I thought TK did a good job of supporting Neal coming up the ice on multiple occassions. Offensively, I was happy with the things Malkin's line was doing and thought TK acquitted himself well. He was passing the puck a little like I used to see him do back in the day.

I'm sure everyone got a laugh in the first period when Neal sent a pass across the ice to Malkin and TK came out of nowhere and stole it. Malkin was frozen with his gun cocked looking stupid and I was cracking up. But TK drew a penalty on the play.

TK to me still isn't the answer unless he magically becomes the guy I saw in the A who was a deft passer and could finish as well. For now, he can hopefully be a stop gap.

That's as likely to happen as Tangradi is to be the player you remember three years ago, which is to say not as long as this organization approaches player development the way they do. ;)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's as likely to happen as Tangradi is to be the player you remember three years ago, which is to say not as long as this organization approaches player development the way they do. ;)

I remember pimping TK several years back on here and figured he would be a high energy third liner, which is obviously what he became. But I thought he would be an all around player who was as capable of scoring a goal as making a sweet play to set one up.

I can't recall ever seeing a guy transform into something so opposite as the gunner with blinders on he has become.

I remarked before that someone got on him about shooting more and he took it way too literally, but he has stayed in the league all these yrs doing it... So I probably wouldn't change either I guess.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I remember pimping TK several years back on here and figured he would be a high energy third liner, which is obviously what he became. But I thought he would be an all around player who was as capable of scoring a goal as making a sweet play to set one up.

I can't recall ever seeing a guy transform into something so opposite as the gunner with blinders on he has become.

I remarked before that someone got on him about shooting more and he took it way too literally, but he has stayed in the league all these yrs doing it... So I probably wouldn't change either I guess.

Outside of Crosby and Malkin, is there ANY forward on the Pens to whom that applies.

I've written this a few times. Remember the 8-3 Ottawa game where Foligno danced half the Pens en route to a goal (forget if he finished or set up a gimme, just remember the dance). I'm sitting there thinking to myself that, with Sid out, the Pens have ONE GUY who can do that, while Ottawa has a good half dozen. It's kind of sad. It's also why I suggested, when you mentioned MacArthur, that he'd instantly be the Pens third most creative forward.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Outside of Crosby and Malkin, is there ANY forward on the Pens to whom that applies.

I've written this a few times. Remember the 8-3 Ottawa game where Foligno danced half the Pens en route to a goal (forget if he finished or set up a gimme, just remember the dance). I'm sitting there thinking to myself that, with Sid out, the Pens have ONE GUY who can do that, while Ottawa has a good half dozen. It's kind of sad. It's also why I suggested, when you mentioned MacArthur, that he'd instantly be the Pens third most creative forward.

That's why I said, I don't really care who plays with Crosby and Malkin anymore. No one can create anything but Crosby and Malkin.

It's funny because BB will come up and pull a toe drag on a defender and people will need a box of Kleenex and want him inducted into the HHOF.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's why I said, I don't really care who plays with Crosby and Malkin anymore. No one can create anything but Crosby and Malkin.

It's funny because BB will come up and pull a toe drag on a defender and people will need a box of Kleenex and want him inducted into the HHOF.

They'll need the Kleenex when Bylsma benches him for having the audacity to do that.

Remember, it's all about accountability with Coach Disco. :sarcasm:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They'll need the Kleenex when Bylsma benches him for having the audacity to do that.

BB will be an interesting study with DB. The no skill excuse most certainly won't fly and his game is going to be prone to making mistakes, especially in the beginning.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown

I dont know. I kinda like TK spazzing out and making pad passes to neal and malkin.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009

I'm going to be amused when BB comes up, actually shows something, and gets an extended look in the top 6 that Tangradi could never earn.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
tk had a god awful offensive game today.

Which probably is why Glass played there throughout the third (and actually didn't look half bad).

Time to close this and start a 'Glass on Malkin's wing' thread.

Vegas is setting the over/under at four periods.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Glass on Malkin's Line

Tangradi on Malkin's line thread . . . RIP after 8 periods of hockey.

TK on Malkin's line thread . . . RIP after 5 periods of hockey.

And so we now arrive at the Glass on Malkin's line thread.

Two things:

1. Vegas has set the over/under for the line at 4 periods.

2. I actually thought Glass didn't look bad with Geno and Neal in the third period tonight. Seemed to have a decent instinctive feel not only for his role but for when/how to support and when to give space. IMO, Geno and Neal showed more trust in him in one period of hockey than they've shown with everyone else combined this season. Whether it's novelty or passable for a while is up for debate, but I'd be stunned if Glass-Malkin-Neal isn't a line on Tuesday.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
'tis a sad state of affairs, but I see no Tocchets or Stevens' on the horizon. Perhaps Jeffrey, but I thought he looked slow in the first game. He may never recover from his knee injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad