The Hodgson, Duchene and Grachev Thread

Exastick

Sep 14, 2011
Hodgson is the late bloomer without a doubt, and we can all safely say that the back injury really hampered his coming to the nhl party late, in terms of being effective and getting a chance to put up points. Not to mention Cody has to work his way around the Sedin twins and the Selke trophy winning Kesler.

But I think he is learning a great deal from them plus Manny, and he really is earning his keep with his play this season, and has not been given a spot just because, but he earned his way on this deep cup contending team this season.:nod:

As opposed to last season, where he kinda got playing time because "he's Hodgson."

Dec 3, 2011
Not to be a homer, but Hodgson is amazing. Duchene who? And Grachev. Who the **** is that? Of course on the elite Canucks squad Hodgson can only slot in on the third line but that is to be expected. In any case, Hodgson will contribute nicely to the Canucks 2012 Stanley Cup victory, and he will go on to have a better career than grachev and duchene.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not to be a homer, but Hodgson is amazing. Duchene who? And Grachev. Who the **** is that? Of course on the elite Canucks squad Hodgson can only slot in on the third line but that is to be expected. In any case, Hodgson will contribute nicely to the Canucks 2012 Stanley Cup victory, and he will go on to have a better career than grachev and duchene.

You're doing it wrong, it's Whochene.

Kagee*

As opposed to last season, where he kinda got playing time because "he's Hodgson."

Uhh he barely got any playing time last season (a miniscule 8 games with barely any minutes) and the only reason he got 12 games (with another small amount of minutes) in the playoffs was because Cody was the only one left with any skill set to play at all out of all the scrubs after all the injuries.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No, of course not. Not a homer in the least. :laugh:

Kagee*

Not to be a homer, but Duchene is amazing. Hodgson who? And Grachev. Who the **** is that? Of course on the elite Avs squad Duchene can only slot in on the first line but that is to be expected. In any case, Duchene will contribute nicely to the Avalanche 2012 Stanley Cup victory.
2 can play at this sarcasm game.

El Duderino

Aug 4, 2007
BC

ಠ_ಠ

Stop doing that.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Hodgson is the late bloomer without a doubt, and we can all safely say that the back injury really hampered his coming to the nhl party late, in terms of being effective and getting a chance to put up points. Not to mention Cody has to work his way around the Sedin twins and the Selke trophy winning Kesler.

But I think he is learning a great deal from them plus Manny, and he really is earning his keep with his play this season, and has not been given a spot just because, but he earned his way on this deep cup contending team this season.:nod:
no, he's a top prospect who got hurt and is only now really back on track. Don't really see how a guy who was the CHL player of the year at 19 would be considered a late bloomer because he didn't make the NHL until 21, even ignoring his injuries.

He's adjusting well and will be a very good player for the Canucks. One of the better players so far this season. He's hard working and generates chances playing in the bottom 6.

Draws plenty of penalties too.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Of course, I'd take Duchene over Hodgson. Had we been able to pick him, he would have.
Happy with Hodgson though.

Duchene is the better player. He's more dynamic, is very fast. He's been able to translate his game seamlessly into the NHL. Hodgson, will take a bit more time to develop. The skill is clearly there, just needs more time to put it all together. (Get bigger, continue to improve skating)

When all is said and done, I reckon their career output will be closer than some think.

Now.... imagine them both on the same team:nod: That'd be unreal.

Nifty Naz

Oct 9, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
I miss having these guys on the battalions so much. I basically stoped watching OHL and the battalions hockey when they left. I've seen all of them play atleast 40 games live and from what i see/saw duchene has the most pure skill but hodgson always seemed to be the more reliable player.

2-way game, passing - Cody Hodgson
Playmaking, goal scoring - Matt Duchene
I don't think Grachev belongs in this convo.

Cody Hodgson has a better career with a lesser role on vancouver than duchene who is the face of the avs franchise.
For example, Kesler is better than Iginila but Iginla is more important to the flames than kesler is to the canucks.
Im Just Happy 2 of my favourite players are in the NHL :)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Cody Hodgson has a better career with a lesser role on vancouver than duchene who is the face of the avs franchise.
For example, Kesler is better than Iginila but Iginla is more important to the flames than kesler is to the canucks.
Im Just Happy 2 of my favourite players are in the NHL :)

Did you even think before you posted? What the **** did you just say?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
to be fair its good to see hodgson and how hes been this year, sure he hasnt been lights out, but he hasnt been bad either, good to see him out there on a nightly basis, or from what i've seen. havent seen much of grachev though.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
If Duchene is the best of the three, then the other two guys must really suck.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
When Duchene is on I think he's by far the best of the three. However, if Duchene is struggling he does the same thing every bloody time. He skates really fast at an opposing player, attempts a Forsberg move, realizes it didn't work, and then tries to do as many spin-o-rama's as possible. In the end, he'll give the puck up. His other play is to skate really fast, and then shoot a limp wrister at the opposing player.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When Duchene is on I think he's by far the best of the three. However, if Duchene is struggling he does the same thing every bloody time. He skates really fast at an opposing player, attempts a Forsberg move, realizes it didn't work, and then tries to do as many spin-o-rama's as possible. In the end, he'll give the puck up. His other play is to skate really fast, and then shoot a limp wrister at the opposing player.

But they're still rookies. And once they reach their prime Duchene will be better than Hodgson.

Right now though Duchene may look a little awkward, he's too skilled to not get his stuff together. Inconsistency is what brings him closer to Hodgson right now.

Hodgson on the other hand has great hockey sense and is consistent. But his skill level to me doesn't match Duchene's. He will end up as a great playmaker who feeds off his wingers. Though he isn't as good Duchene, consistency is what brings him closer to Duchene.

BLAME CANADA*

duchene is on another level aside from that..its funny to see everyone defend hodgson and what not.

Maybe it because almost everyone on HF who weren't Canucks fans were calling Hodgson a bust. Hodgson has been great for us and is running the 3rd line. Hodgson is on pace for 40+ pts, not bad for a 21 year old rookie on the 3rd line playing with Malhotra and Hansen most of the season and was looked at as a bust.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hodgson is going to have a similar development curve to Kesler. He didn't bust out of the gate like Duchene, but he's going to end up being an awesome second line centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad