The Hodgson, Duchene and Grachev Thread

CallMeJerry

Apr 15, 2007
These three Brampton Battalion have been getting a lot of attention on these boards.

For people who have actually seen these guys play, how do these 3 guys rank right now and how do you think they will rank as NHL-ers?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
Duchene will probably be better than Hodgson. Grachev has the potential to be better than Hodgson, but may not reach it. Duchene has speed and shot over Hodgson. Grachev has speed and size.

Cody Hodgson

Sep 17, 2008
Grachev's potential is off the charts.

His size and speed are ridiculous to go along with good hands.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Shhh, you shouldn't say that too loud, lest you be flamed by eighty or ninety angry Canucks homers
It's just a case of Canuckfan not being used to having drafting decent prospects - if you look at our drafting history, you can understand why.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It's just a case of Canuckfan not being used to having drafting decent prospects - if you look at our drafting history, you can understand why.

Yeah, but the degree of Canucks homerism that surrounds this kid is completely egregious. I used to like Hodgson as a prospect before Canucks fans started openly and flagrantly fellating the kid at every given opportunity. Now, I find even his name annoying and that's a shame because he is quite a good hockey player, but I think Canucks fans have set him up for a hell of a fall if he doesn't immediately prove himself to be the second coming.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Duchene, followed closely by Hodgson, Grachev was a steal but I don't think he is as good a prospect as either Duchene or Hodgson right NOW.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Anyone else wonder why there's the hate for Hodgson? I mean the kid was #2 in the THN future watch. He could have been the WJC MVP and he actually had one more point than Tavares in the tournament. IMO, he plays a well rounded game and he has NHL written all over him. Maybe Mike Richards is a good comparison? I don't see anything Hodgson does wrong.

SO as of now if I am an NHL GM I think I take Hodgson but I do like Duchene's speed

LifeIsLoud

Oct 7, 2008
Toronto Area
Duchene will probably be better than Hodgson. Grachev has the potential to be better than Hodgson, but may not reach it. Duchene has speed and shot over Hodgson. Grachev has speed and size.
As a Battalion fan who watches them regularly, that sounds about right to me. All of them have some insane moves in their bag of tricks. They also seem like great guys off the ice. Grachev in particular is hilarious.

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
Anyone else wonder why there's the hate for Hodgson? I mean the kid was #2 in the THN future watch. He could have been the WJC MVP and he actually had one more point than Tavares in the tournament. IMO, he plays a well rounded game and he has NHL written all over him. Maybe Mike Richards is a good comparison? I don't see anything Hodgson does wrong.

SO as of now if I am an NHL GM I think I take Hodgson but I do like Duchene's speed

There is hate for Hodgson because of Canuck fans such as myself overhyping him. Its a fact. We haven't had a prospect like him since Trevor Linden. And he's projected to be better than Trevor.

kmillzy5

Oct 18, 2008
hmmm
Grachev's potential is off the charts.

His size and speed are ridiculous to go along with good hands.

Grachev was such a steal in the 3rd round.. . watching him play at WJC made me sick that the Penguins didn't draft him! .WHY WHY WHY! :scared:

CrosbyCrosby*

Leafs fans started not liking Hodgson as soon as the Canucks drafted him. Duchene will be the best, and he has the coolest name.

kmillzy5

Oct 18, 2008
hmmm

Whats that sound? . .oh no! Its the Vancouver Boys!. .RUN! Everyone to the bunker!

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
There aren't many Canucks fans who think Hodgson will be better than Duchene. If someone was claiming Grachev will be; that would be a different story.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs fans started not liking Hodgson as soon as the Canucks drafted him. Duchene will be the best, and he has the coolest name.

Oh yes, obviously the dislike some people have for the hype Vancouver homers have built surrounding the kid has to do with that epic Toronto-Vancouver rivalry. What a storied rivalry, famed in song and story with it's many layers and chapters and....oh wait. Is it possible that the people reacting as a part of this Hodgson backlash are simply reacting to what they view as pervasive over-hyping of an above average prospect to the kinds of levels usually reserved for generational offensive talents? A lot of people that liked Cody Hodgson before the draft and even up to the WJCs have joined the backlash. It's not because they don't like Hodgson it's because the hype has become hyperbolic and unrealistic. Is he good? Yes. Is he a blue-chip prospect? Yes. Is he the next Mike Richards? No. Is he the next Chris Drury? Probably. Nothing wrong with the being a Chris Drury type of player, you can get paid good money being that kind of player. But let's go to realistic an manageable levels of hype, shall we?

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
Either way these three on one team are a blast to watch.

Hodgson's two way game is off the charts..and the other two are just so explosive.

Kesler17

Jan 29, 2008
As a Canucks fan, I'd take Duchene over Hodgson, wouldn't even have to think about it.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Hodgson: 1990-Feb, 1.8ppg
Tavares: 1990-Sep, 1.9ppg
Duchene: 1991-Jan, 1.4ppg

Hodgson is on par with Tavares, and it showed during the WJrs. If he hits his peak, he's going to be on another level beyond Drury. I fail to see the problem in being excited about your own team's prospects, especially when their production warrants that praise.

Unless Duchene ups his ppg in his second year to a near 2 ppg, Hodgson is right now the better player.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The fact that Grachev is even in this discussion makes me happy as a Ranger fan. The kid is looking like a ridiculous steal at the moment.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Hodgson at this point, he has had a ridiculous elevation in his game between the year before and after he was drafted. Until Duchene shows similar development you have to go with Hodgson.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Hodgson: 1990-Feb, 1.8ppg
Tavares: 1990-Sep, 1.9ppg
Duchene: 1991-Jan, 1.4ppg

Hodgson is on par with Tavares, and it showed during the WJrs. If he hits his peak, he's going to be on another level beyond Drury. I fail to see the problem in being excited about your own team's prospects, especially when their production warrants that praise.

Unless Duchene ups his ppg in his second year to a near 2 ppg, Hodgson is right now the better player.

Look at the quality of players surrounding Hodgson in Brampton all season versus the team that surrounded JT for most of the year in Oshawa. Now ask yourself, if JT was playing in London all year by just how much would he be blowing Hodgson out of the water? Barring a few injuries this season, Duchene would be producing on a level comparable to Hodgson last year, their point per game paces are comparably similar and scouts will tell you that Duchene's skating and his ability to exercise all of his offensive tools at top speed make him a more projectable offensive pro talent than Hodgson.
EVERY NHL prospect will tell you the hardest part of adapting to the game at the next level is adjusting to the speed. That's what's going to limit Hodgson's offensive output at the NHL level. It's why his offensive numbers are more in the Chris Drury realm.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

eldiablo17

Aug 22, 2007
Right now Hodgson is the best followed by Duchene then Grachev.

As far as potential goes Duchene definitely has the raw skills to be the best. I would rank him first followed not too far behind by Hodgson then Grachev.

Nothing against Grachev, absolute steal in the 3rd round, but right now he isn't at the level of the other two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->