The Hodgson, Duchene and Grachev Thread

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
How can a person who won nearly every junior reward this year be over-hyped>?

There is a big difference between over-hyped and over-rated. I don't think many people will over-rate him but with all the threads of Hodgson, especially after the WJC, i can see why people who are non-canuck fans will be annoyed with it.

But Congrats Cody!!! I wish he had a Memorial Cup to go along with his awards... but hope he gets the Calder Cup!!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There is a big difference between over-hyped and over-rated. I don't think many people will over-rate him but with all the threads of Hodgson, especially after the WJC, i can see why people who are non-canuck fans will be annoyed with it.

But Congrats Cody!!! I wish he had a Memorial Cup to go along with his awards... but hope he gets the Calder Cup!!

Give canucks fans a break, were due for a good draft pick lol

AgentNaslund*

HOw is he overhyped? I don't understand. The last 30 pages of this thread is barely anything about us hyping him. CHL player of the year award is hyping him? He's just posting an artical

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
HOw is he overhyped? I don't understand. The last 30 pages of this thread is barely anything about us hyping him. CHL player of the year award is hyping him? He's just posting an artical

Please read what i was responding to. First someone posted that he knows Cody is over-hyped in these forums. Then someone else said "How can a person who won nearly every junior reward this year be over-hyped>? " Then i said, I can understand how some people could see that he was over-hyped. Look from the another perspective. After the WJC, there was a flood of Cody posts. And his name would be brought up in many prospects threads that had nothing to do with him. So can you see how non-canuck fans could be peeved about this?

Lets say we made a thread for Cody's CHL award and then someone brings up Filatov, saying that Cody will be no where as good a NHL as him. And this would happen in many Cody threads... Then we'd be quite miffed about it as well and then come to the consensus that Filatov was over-hyped. See the logic? See the most over-rated/over-hyped prospect thread?

Finally if that is not clear to you. Let me spell it out for you. I am not saying he is over-hyped. I am saying i can see how OTHERS will think so.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Please read what i was responding to. First someone posted that he knows Cody is over-hyped in these forums. Then someone else said "How can a person who won nearly every junior reward this year be over-hyped>? " Then i said, I can understand how some people could see that he was over-hyped. Look from the another perspective. After the WJC, there was a flood of Cody posts. And his name would be brought up in many prospects threads that had nothing to do with him. So can you see how non-canuck fans could be peeved about this?

Lets say we made a thread for Cody's CHL award and then someone brings up Filatov, saying that Cody will be no where as good a NHL as him. And this would happen in many Cody threads... Then we'd be quite miffed about it as well and then come to the consensus that Filatov was over-hyped. See the logic? See the most over-rated/over-hyped prospect thread?

Finally if that is not clear to you. Let me spell it out for you. I am not saying he is over-hyped. I am saying i can see how OTHERS will think so.

To counter what your saying tho, Im sure a lot of people considered him overhyped back after WJC. But now after all these awards, im sure the "over-hyped" opinions are long gone now.

Jon Snow

Jun 22, 2008
Name me prospect who had a better year than Hodgson... thats right, there isn't one.

Anyone who honestly thinks he's "overhyped" doesn't know much about hockey, or has an anti-Canuck bias. I've mentioned this before, but imagine if he was a Leafs prospect - quite honestly this kid would be billed as the next hockey messiah.

He's the most complete player in his age-group, bar none. I could care less if he doesn't have the flash of a Filatov or Tavares.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Cody Hodgson 2009 Edition

2009 CHL Player of the Year
2009 OHL Red Tilson Trophy (Most Outstanding player and MVP)
2009 OHL William Hanley Trophy (Most Sportsmanlike Player)
2009 World Junior Gold Medal Winner
2009 World Junior All-Star Roster
2009 World Junior Scoring leader
2009 Bob Mackenzie (Best player WJC)
2009 OHL All-Star Classic Player of the Game
2009 OHL Coaches Award for Smartest Player
2009 OHL Coaches Award for Hardest Worker
2009 OHL Coaches Award for Best Face-offs
2009 OHL Coaches Award for Best Penalty Killer
2009 OHL Hardest Shot (2nd)

Am I missing anything?, I don't think the word Over-Hype can be used with this kid after this year.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close

Am I missing anything?, I don't think the word Over-Hype can be used with this kid after this year.

Frankly, that's unbelievable. What a year he's had!

I was impressed with him at the WJCs, but don't really follow Canadian junior hockey. Didn't really know he was so good at PK and Face-offs as well.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I love this thread. Especially how it repeatedly and inexorably circles around to an argument over whether Hodgson is over-hyped or not.

Thread may have years left in it as we follow these guys thru their various careers all the while the different fan bases sniping away at one another about how so and so is being over-rated, or over-hyped, or over somethinged....

CallMeJerry

Apr 15, 2007

And I never even knew there was a Bob Mackenzie award!

Anyways I just wanted to just congratulate myself for starting this thread with 483 replies. Maybe it's not a big deal to some, but it's something that cannot be taken away from me. Even though I got maybe 3 actual answers to my thread starting comment/question.

In summary, this goes out to me...:handclap::yo::clap::cheers::5::hockey::towel::pickle:

LifeIsLoud

Oct 7, 2008
Toronto Area
I'm pretty sure today the three of them are supposed to get their OHL awards at a ceremny at the HHOF but are/were any of them going to be there? I assume Cody won't because of the AHL finals, Duchene is doing draft prospect stuff, and Grachev I assume is at home in Russia.

Duponttime*

When Grachev didn't play the last 2 playoff games, Brampton couldn't score for squat. Speaks volumes.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005

Both Cody and Matt were inducted into the Brampton Sports Hall of Fame along with Rick Nash, I believe. I'm pretty sure Duchene is the youngest player to be inducted.

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
BUMP

Interesting now looking at these three at this point in their careers. Duchene is 24th in league scoring at almost a PPG clip at 20 years old, while the older Hodgson and Grachev have only had cups of coffee with their NHL rosters thus far, though Hodgson is still with the team with 2pts in 3 games and Grachev is back in the AHL after playing 8 games with the Rangers and being held pointless.

Who will be the best of the three now? Is it safe to say Duchene. Who of Hodgson and Grachev will have the better career?

Discuss.

TheZherdev

Jul 4, 2004
Grachev has looked ok. He has a lot of potential from what I can see. I think hes adjusting to the pro game. Hate to sound like a broken record but typically big power forward types take longer to develop. Physically he was a man among boys at the OHL now that hes playing pro, the playing field has been evened. He'll need to adjust, but I dont think hell ever be anywhere close to good as Duchene.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
Grachev is starting to play really, really well in the AHL. He also did not look out of place in the NHL. He is 20/21 years old. Power forwards take time. Not many prospects out of the NHL have Grachev's combination of size, speed and skill.

The Rangers have some good players on the roster so when Grachev makes the NHL again he wont have the pressure of the world on him. I believe this will help.

Exastick

Sep 14, 2011
At this point, Duchene looks like the best player out of the trio. Hodgson has had a good start to the season, and 40 points isn't impossible for him to keep up.

One thing about Hodgson is he really has the smarts and the skill, he just needs to work on his skating. As I've seen quite a bit around, Hodgson's top speed doesn't seem to be the problem, just his acceleration. He also had a pretty bad injury setback early on, so we'll see what happens 3 - 4 years down the road.

Nevertheless, I still see Duchene ending up as the top talent in this trio based on what I've seen of Duchene and Hodgson and what I've read about Grachev. Hodgson may push for this, but I see Hodgson maxing out as a 1st line center, with the slightest of chances to become a top 10 center in the league. Duchene seems to have the potential to be a top 10 center, but only time will tell.

I'd actually like to hear more about Grachev.

PS: Found this thread because I was searching around and reading up on the Lessio, Jenner, Jensen line in Oshawa. Anyway, BUMP.

Use the Schwartz*

Grachev is on the IR now, nothing serious I don't think but he'll miss the next few games.

He was our top goal scorer in pre season, looked really good. Used his size well to take the puck from the other team, was very noticeable. Then regular season rolled around, and he's kept up the hard play even though he hasn't scored(2 assists in 17 games). On the 3rd and 4th line, he was looking awesome, just pushing hard, playing a 200 ft game. Had some good chances to score too. Chris Stewart got suspended and Grach had a chance to play on the second line. I missed the game, but I guess he didn't play very well. If he can get his game together in terms of finishing, he can be a 2nd liner on this team in a few years time.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah Grachev is a big guy so his development is gonna be pretty slow I think unfortunately. And I'm not sure 100% if he's gonna see NHL playing time once Perron gets back although by then someone else will get injured on STL. I don't think he'd need to go through waivers in order to play in the AHL though.

Kagee*

Hodgson is the late bloomer without a doubt, and we can all safely say that the back injury really hampered his coming to the nhl party late, in terms of being effective and getting a chance to put up points. Not to mention Cody has to work his way around the Sedin twins and the Selke trophy winning Kesler.

But I think he is learning a great deal from them plus Manny, and he really is earning his keep with his play this season, and has not been given a spot just because, but he earned his way on this deep cup contending team this season.:nod:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Necrothreads never end well... people click on the first page and end up replying to 2 year old posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad