The Hockey Hall of Fame Adds Too Many Members Each Year

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I think the NBA elects 7 or 8 a year including builders, executives etc.

Sydney Moncrief had to wait 20 years to get in, so who are all the "better" players that went in before him. That is why I stopped watching the NBA after he retired. He was a several time (9?) NBA All-Star and the Defensive player of the Year 3 or 4 times. No NBA titles.
No Rings. Simple as that.
The Hall will be hesitant If you have no rings.
Lindros played a similar amount of GP as Moncrief (was also on a much higher level than moncrief in terms of level of talent.), he had to wait about 6-7 years.

NBA also gives players 3 All NBA teams instead of 2, along with 2 Defensive teams and 2 Rookie Teams. More Accolades are given out.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
No Rings. Simple as that.
The Hall will be hesitant If you have no rings.
Lindros played a similar amount of GP as Moncrief (was also on a much higher level than moncrief in terms of level of talent.), he had to wait about 6-7 years.

NBA also gives players 3 All NBA teams instead of 2, along with 2 Defensive teams and 2 Rookie Teams. More Accolades are given out.

Sid was a First team All-Star in 1983, a Second team All-Star 4 times, NBA Defensive Player of the Year twice in 1983 and 1984, 4 time All-Defensive First Team. He was never third team anything! He was drafted 5th overall in 1979. Jerry West of the Lakers wanted him, but the Bucks beat him to the draw. He averaged over .500 from the field and averaged 30 minutes a game during his 11 years in the NBA.

I don't think that you know much about Moncrief and doubt that you ever saw him play or you wouldn't have posted the BS above!

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Sid was a First team All-Star in 1983, a Second team All-Star 4 times, NBA Defensive Player of the Year twice in 1983 and 1984, 4 time All-Defensive First Team. He was never third team anything! He was drafted 5th overall in 1979. Jerry West of the Lakers wanted him, but the Bucks beat him to the draw. He averaged over .500 from the field and averaged 30 minutes a game during his 11 years in the NBA.

I don't think that you know much about Moncrief and doubt that you ever saw him play or you wouldn't have posted the BS above!
Eh, you're right. I don't watch it much.
I know who Moncrief is, I know that he didnt have much media love, or is not well known in general, and that hurts hall chances.
I was saying the third team thing as a general thing in NBA basketball, not just Moncrief.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Why do people care so much?

This guy played a billion years and compiled points along the way, he's a bum. No. Being able to keep a roster spot for a long time. keeping a consistent level of play for a long time, is also a skill. Most guys break down after 12 years, a lot of these 'compilers' played 20+. I'd rather have 1 'compiler' on my team for 20+ years, that can be relied on to produce and play effective hockey than 2 guys who have a brilliant 5-7 years then flame out. The hall is loaded with guys that 99% of people alive now never saw play, never saw any film of, but are still considered more 'worthy' than guys who had long productive careers.

Ultimately, if the HHOF committee wants to put a player in, who am I to argue against it? They have their reasons. The guys who put in 20+ years playing the same game year in year out, that never hurt their team's ability to compete, deserve HHOF recognition as much as a guy who played 8-10 years of 'OMGWTFBBQ' then fell of the face of the earth.

Long term consistency is as amazing to me as short careers of pure skill.

Is it really affecting your well being that badly? If it is, you need to find better things to worry about. I understand this is a hockey forum for hockey discussion, but really?

Reactions: Montrealer

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Why do people care so much?

This guy played a billion years and compiled points along the way, he's a bum. No. Being able to keep a roster spot for a long time. keeping a consistent level of play for a long time, is also a skill. Most guys break down after 12 years, a lot of these 'compilers' played 20+. I'd rather have 1 'compiler' on my team for 20+ years, that can be relied on to produce and play effective hockey than 2 guys who have a brilliant 5-7 years then flame out. The hall is loaded with guys that 99% of people alive now never saw play, never saw any film of, but are still considered more 'worthy' than guys who had long productive careers.

Ultimately, if the HHOF committee wants to put a player in, who am I to argue against it? They have their reasons. The guys who put in 20+ years playing the same game year in year out, that never hurt their team's ability to compete, deserve HHOF recognition as much as a guy who played 8-10 years of 'OMGWTFBBQ' then fell of the face of the earth.

Long term consistency is as amazing to me as short careers of pure skill.

Is it really affecting your well being that badly? If it is, you need to find better things to worry about. I understand this is a hockey forum for hockey discussion, but really?

Totally agree. People seem to seek out things to get angry about nowadays. It's crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad