The Hockey Hall of Fame Adds Too Many Members Each Year

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
You must have never seen him play.

He was aiight.

Like Paccioretty, or Atkinson. Not a phenom, and never one of the top 10 players in the league. But he played for a long time and was "aiight" for most of it.

He belongs in the hall of "aiight".

please stop saying one of the top total goal scorers ever is basically the same as cam atkinson

people get in for their careers not for their peak.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
please stop saying one of the top total goal scorers ever is basically the same as cam atkinson

people get in for their careers not for their peak.

At Gartner's absolute peak he was about as good as Cam Atkinson is now.

Just a pretty good player for a very long time.

Calling him one of the top goal scorers ever kinda shows you have never actually watched him play, and are just looking at his career stats.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
At Gartner's absolute peak he was about as good as Cam Atkinson is now.

Just a pretty good player for a very long time.

Calling him one of the top goal scorers ever kinda shows you have never actually watched him play, and are just looking at his career stats.

one of the top total goal scorers ever, and he is? you are not taking careers into consideration just their peak. to play at s consistently high level and end up with the 7th most goals ever is a very inpressive career no matter how you try to spin it.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
one of the top total goal scorers ever, and he is? you are not taking careers into consideration just their peak. to play at s consistently high level and end up with the 7th most goals ever is a very inpressive career no matter how you try to spin it.

I don't find a mediocre longevity particularly impressive.

He was just 'ok'.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I wish i had the complete list of HoF for the last 20 years

i could probably find 60% of them not worthy.

I would say bolded would be easy nos and italics are questionables.

Wayne Gretzky
Joe Mullen
Denis Savard
Viacheslav Fetisov
Mike Gartner
Dale Hawerchuk
Jari Kurri
Bernie Federko
Clark Gillies

Rod Langway
Pat LaFontaine
Grant Fuhr
Ray Bourque
Paul Coffey
Larry Murphy
Valeri Kharlamov
Cam Neely
Dick Duff

Patrick Roy
Mark Messier
Al MacInnis
Ron Francis
Scott Stevens
Glenn Anderson
Igor Larionov
Brett Hull
Brian Leetch
Luc Robitaille
Steve Yzerman
Dino Ciccarrelli
Ed Belfour
Doug Gilmour
Mark Howe
Joe Nieuwendyk
Pavel Bure
Adam Oates
Joe Sakic
Mats Sundin
Chris Chelios
Scott Niedermayer
Brendan Shanahan
Rob Blake
Peter Forsberg
Dominik Hasek
Mike Modano
Sergei Fedorov
Phil Housley
Nicklas Lidstrom
Chris Pronger
Eric Lindros
Sergei Makarov
Rogatien Vachon
Dave Andreychuk
Mark Recchi
Teemu Selanne
Paul Kariya
Martin Brodeur
Martin St. Louis
Alexander Yakushev

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Having a number requirement is entirely arbitrary to begin with. A cap, maybe sure, but a minimum or an exact amount? Logically there’s different amounts of HOF caliber players every year.

4 is definitely too much though. A Hall of Fame shouldn’t have “weak” inductions. Should be pretty clear-cut the majority of the time. Some of the inductees would indicate it’s more along the lines of the Hall of Pretty Good.

Too late to rectify that now though so f*** it I guess.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't find a mediocre longevity particularly impressive.

He was just 'ok'.

Lol only 6 players in history scored more goals, That's impressive and you would tell everyone you met all about how impressive your NHL career was if it were you.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There is no way 7th all time isn't impressive.
He really wasn't.

At his absolute absolute best, he was arguably outside a top 20 player in the league.

9th best goalscorer one year, but mostly was 20th to 30th best goalscorer most years.

At his peak, He's comparable to Atkinson or Pacchioretty today.

So just imagine those guys played till their 40's, and that's pretty much what Gartner was like.

I can't even believe I'm arguing with someone on the internet over this.

Imagine 20 years from now, Ryan Nugent Hopkins kept playing till he was 40, but kept putting up a pedestrian 25 goals, and 50 points per season for the next 15 years.

Then some young kid who had NEVER seen him play insists he should be in the HHOF because he has over 500 goals and 1000 points.

What would your reaction be?

Last edited:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Having a number requirement is entirely arbitrary to begin with. A cap, maybe sure, but a minimum or an exact amount? Logically there’s different amounts of HOF caliber players every year.

4 is definitely too much though. A Hall of Fame shouldn’t have “weak” inductions. Should be pretty clear-cut the majority of the time. Some of the inductees would indicate it’s more along the lines of the Hall of Pretty Good.

Too late to rectify that now though so **** it I guess.

There is no minimum requirement. There is a maximum, which is 4 players per year.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Naismith Hall of Fame is far and away the worst Hall of Fame. They care too much if you won multiple NBA Championships and some NBA Role Players are in the Hall of Fame.

The HHOF, on the other hand, inducts long term 1st Liners at worst (such as Andreychuk or Armstrong.), but that is still better than some of the players in the Naismith Hall.

I Think Inducting 3-4 Players a year is fine, usually 3, especially when there are 30 teams capable of producing HHOF level talent rather than just 21 forty years ago. 2018 was an optimal year.

I think the NBA elects 7 or 8 a year including builders, executives etc.

Sydney Moncrief had to wait 20 years to get in, so who are all the "better" players that went in before him. That is why I stopped watching the NBA after he retired. He was a several time (9?) NBA All-Star and the Defensive player of the Year 3 or 4 times. No NBA titles.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He really wasn't.

At his absolute absolute best, he was arguably outside a top 20 player in the league.

9th best goalscorer one year, but mostly was 20th to 30th best goalscorer most years.

At his peak, He's comparable to Atkinson or Pacchioretty today.

So just imagine those guys played till their 40's, and that's pretty much what Gartner was like.

I can't even believe I'm arguing with someone on the internet over this.

Imagine 20 years from now, Ryan Nugent Hopkins kept playing till he was 40, but kept putting up a pedestrian 25 goals, and 50 points per season for the next 15 years.

Then some young kid who had NEVER seen him play insists he should be in the HHOF because he has over 500 goals and 1000 points.

What would your reaction be?

He won’t play and score for that long or produce for that long, if he did then he will have accomplished what very few in history have.

It was a museum built before the internet to keep records of past hockey players. There was no way before the 90’s to find or look up stats, It’s not a building to worship the 5 best players ever.

What good is preserving the past if you going to gloss over top 7 in goals ever? Is the amount of goals scored by Gretzky a large number? Well you need to know what everyone else did in order to answer that question. Is 700 goals easy to score? Again you need to know how many people fall in that bracket. I think your confused at what the Hall is.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He won’t play and score for that long or produce for that long, if he did then he will have accomplished what very few in history have.

It was a museum built before the internet to keep records of past hockey players. There was no way before the 90’s to find or look up stats, It’s not a building to worship the 5 best players ever.

What good is preserving the past if you going to gloss over top 7 in goals ever? Is the amount of goals scored by Gretzky a large number? Well you need to know what everyone else did in order to answer that question. Is 700 goals easy to score? Again you need to know how many people fall in that bracket. I think your confused at what the Hall is.
I simply view it as an enshrinement of all of the players who were 'great'.

At no point in time was Gartner considered Great. Many players who played far shorter careers are great. He just played for a long time.

Do you honestly believe Gartner was a better goal scorer than players like the Rocket Richard, just because he scored more career goals than him?

You think he was a better goal scorer than Bure? Kurri? Bossy?

Despite scoring 700, Gartner probably isn't even close to being considered a top 30 goalscorer in NHL history.

Doesn't that tell you something about how banal his career was??

He's not even in the conversation. Which is why I think his induction is silly.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I simply view it as an enshrinement of all of the players who were 'great'.

At no point in time was Gartner considered Great. Many players who played far shorter careers are great. He just played for a long time.

Do you honestly believe Gartner was a better goal scorer than players like the Rocket Richard, just because he scored more career goals than him?

You think he was a better goal scorer than Bure? Kurri? Bossy?

Despite scoring 700, Gartner probably isn't even close to being considered a top 30 goalscorer in NHL history.

Doesn't that tell you something about how banal his career was??

He's not even in the conversation. Which is why I think his induction is silly.

“Better” isn’t the debate, what you consider him don’t matter either, it’s how many times his name was thrown on the scoresheet compared to others. (Career)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
“Better” isn’t the debate, what you consider him don’t matter either, it’s how many times his name was thrown on the scoresheet compared to others. (Career)
Yeah Gartner isn't a top 30 goalscorer in history. Even if he's sitting at 7th.

I don't believe compilers add anything special to the game.

And Gartner was not special.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yeah Gartner isn't a top 30 goalscorer in history. Even if he's sitting at 7th.

I don't believe compilers add anything special to the game.

And Gartner was not special.

Compilers contribute for years and years, most people’s bodies can’t do it and they slow down way too much. Being good enough to score against the best in the world is way way harder to do for 20 years then for 10.
Your wrong if he wasn’t special everyone would compile more goals then him, but so few have.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Compilers contribute for years and years, most people’s bodies can’t do it and they slow down way too much. Being good enough to score against the best in the world is way way harder to do for 20 years then for 10.
Your wrong if he wasn’t special everyone would compile more goals then him, but so few have.

He wasn't special though.

He isn't a more accomplished player than Patrick Marleau. He just happened to be Patrick Marleau in the highest scoring era ever.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad