The Hockey Hall of Fame Adds Too Many Members Each Year

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Would have been nice if you would have done it yourself (I am not using some tricks to do it here)

It is 36 players, 28 for their NHL career in 8 year's, 3.5 a year, if I am not mistaken.

3 a year could have been ideal here, which would you remove Nieuwendyk, Ciccarelly, Andreychuck and maybe Housley that has only one top 3 Norris in is career?

3 NHLER a year would be a bit high imo over time, when looking at many draft you do not see 3 HOF.

For example:
2002 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Who from that draft outside Keith should get in, arguably no one else.

From this one ?:
2001 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Kovalchuck is a maybe really no one else.

I doubt there is so many draft with 5-6 HOF worthy to need 3 player,s a year on the long run. 2, 2.5 is probably quite enough.
Not that many drafts maybe but there could be a few years where there are more than five guys that should be first ballot just cuz guys play different amount of years for various reasons .

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Not that many drafts maybe but there could be a few years where there are more than five guys that should be first ballot just cuz guys play different amount of years for various reasons .

I am not talking about how many in a particular year (that should be quite irrelevant), I am more speaking in the next 50 year's, 125 could probably be quite enough.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
I don’t think the hockey hall of fame is that watered down compared to other sports. Cooperstown just voted in Lee Smith and Harold freaking Baines, there is no one in the HHOF that was more average than those two.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say, I couldn’t really care less about the HHOF. Whoever or Whatever goes in, out, or otherwise, has zero effect on my daily life or view of hockey.

Reactions: Choralone

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The problem is that the Hall has become diluted and even if they changed their selection rules now, it’s already got several players who don’t deserve to be there.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I'd get rid of the number entirely. Some years, there are more than four eligible whoa re deserving, whereas in other years, the limit actually acts as a magnet, which ensures that more borderline players are getting in.

I will say that on the other hand, more of those slots are going to the women's and the international game, completely separate from the builders category. This helps to keep the number of annual NHL inductees down.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Are there players in the Hall of Fame that I don't think should be there? Yes.
Do I think it matters? Not even a little bit.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I think it's always a battle to the bottom between the Hockey and Basketball Hall of Fames.

The problem with Hall of Fames is you essentially have 3 tiers to choose from and the problem is as arbitrary as the selection might be, once you break through certain standards you're always being criticized moving forward.

TIER 1 is pretty simple. If you don't have at least one MVP season because of the Gretzky and Lemieux, then have consistent showing in the Top 5, put up career numbers and maybe try and help your team win a title. This of course would typically kill most compiler careers and you no longer have too many borderline discussions because the margins become pretty clear between a Jagr and a Ciccarelli.

TIER 2 is where you'd get largely compilers or flash in the pan type players. Now you don't need five or six seasons finishing in Top 5 Hart Voting, but you need the all-star appearances and playoff resume. This opens up the borderline discussions however because how do you separate one guy who scored 600 goals with two Top 10 Hart finishes and another who scored 500 goals with four Top 10 Hart finishes? Again a Dino Ciccarelli or Andreychuk isn't quite at this tier because they're simply compilers who were never considered serious top players in the league.

TIER 3 is where you start getting all the borderline players and it really becomes tiresome because you either value shortened careers that displayed top talent or you value compilers who were otherwise never as great on the ice. Nobody wins here. You can't definitively say an Andreychuk, Ciccarelli or Kariya are better than a Hossa, Nieuwendyk or Roenick so you got to put them all in.

It's clear to me the Hockey Hall of Fame is in the Tier 3 column of induction and setting the floor is real hard here. You might think the likes of Propp, Larmer and Rick Middleton are not worthy and that they're the cut-off but when you look at some of the guys already in that's not so justified really. And that's the whole problem with opening the door to borderline player discussions and compilers. Right now the Baseball Hall of Fame is clear ahead in terms of standards albeit some big names have been kept out due to off-field issues or steroid use which gets murky with regards to some inclusions. Then the Football Hall of Fame has some arbitrary lines with certain players and the Veterans Committee is somewhat of a joke at times but on the whole modern inductees are the best of the best.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
For what its worth I've been trying to get a petition going to get a builder inducted to the hockey hall of fame that was responsible for growth in women's hockey, since they have began inducting women's hockey's players its about time they started to induct builders of the women's game as well. If you support, definitely feel free to share elsewhere!

Sign the Petition

(mods if this is not allowed feel free to delete)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
FINE!

edited my list

Stupid stay at home defensemen.

I just think once you have a precedence of a 'Stay At Home' Defensemen there, you end up opening up Pandora's Box of others who maybe also 'deserve' that honor, for playing dominant shut-down roles for several cup winners:

(NONE of whom I think should be in)
Kevin Lowe
Ken Daneyko
Adam Foote
Brad McCrimmon
Craig Ludwig

Last edited:

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I think it's always a battle to the bottom between the Hockey and Basketball Hall of Fames.

The problem with Hall of Fames is you essentially have 3 tiers to choose from and the problem is as arbitrary as the selection might be, once you break through certain standards you're always being criticized moving forward.

TIER 1 is pretty simple. If you don't have at least one MVP season because of the Gretzky and Lemieux, then have consistent showing in the Top 5, put up career numbers and maybe try and help your team win a title. This of course would typically kill most compiler careers and you no longer have too many borderline discussions because the margins become pretty clear between a Jagr and a Ciccarelli.

TIER 2 is where you'd get largely compilers or flash in the pan type players. Now you don't need five or six seasons finishing in Top 5 Hart Voting, but you need the all-star appearances and playoff resume. This opens up the borderline discussions however because how do you separate one guy who scored 600 goals with two Top 10 Hart finishes and another who scored 500 goals with four Top 10 Hart finishes? Again a Dino Ciccarelli or Andreychuk isn't quite at this tier because they're simply compilers who were never considered serious top players in the league.

TIER 3 is where you start getting all the borderline players and it really becomes tiresome because you either value shortened careers that displayed top talent or you value compilers who were otherwise never as great on the ice. Nobody wins here. You can't definitively say an Andreychuk, Ciccarelli or Kariya are better than a Hossa, Nieuwendyk or Roenick so you got to put them all in.

It's clear to me the Hockey Hall of Fame is in the Tier 3 column of induction and setting the floor is real hard here. You might think the likes of Propp, Larmer and Rick Middleton are not worthy and that they're the cut-off but when you look at some of the guys already in that's not so justified really. And that's the whole problem with opening the door to borderline player discussions and compilers. Right now the Baseball Hall of Fame is clear ahead in terms of standards albeit some big names have been kept out due to off-field issues or steroid use which gets murky with regards to some inclusions. Then the Football Hall of Fame has some arbitrary lines with certain players and the Veterans Committee is somewhat of a joke at times but on the whole modern inductees are the best of the best.
The Naismith Hall of Fame is far and away the worst Hall of Fame. They care too much if you won multiple NBA Championships and some NBA Role Players are in the Hall of Fame.

The HHOF, on the other hand, inducts long term 1st Liners at worst (such as Andreychuk or Armstrong.), but that is still better than some of the players in the Naismith Hall.

I Think Inducting 3-4 Players a year is fine, usually 3, especially when there are 30 teams capable of producing HHOF level talent rather than just 21 forty years ago. 2018 was an optimal year.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Naismith Hall of Fame is far and away the worst Hall of Fame. They care too much if you won multiple NBA Championships and some NBA Role Players are in the Hall of Fame.
Robert Horry still isn't in, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Reactions: BlueBull

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It is most definitely trending higher but there's only been 4 or 5 times in the history of The Hall that they've added 4 NHLers.
It is actually closer to 2 than 4 - at least for what people complain about.

In the 1990s there were about 20 somewhat recent players to enter the Hall - lead by Wayne and Mario with Salming and Goulet being the weakest two.
In the 200os there was about 25 recent players but that included a couple of Big years.
So far in the 2010s there's been just over 25.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
There's also going to be a lot of lean Hall years starting right away. At least as far as recent players go - I'm sure I'll miss a player or two but...

Players whom were drafted between '94 and '02 -
So over 9 years as these guys become eligible - there's really only 5 guaranteed HHOFers and another 7 that will most likely get in.
Alfredsson, Iggy, Chara, Thornton, Keith -
Elias, Luongo, Marleau, Hossa, Datsyuk, D. Sedin and H. Sedin.

because guys like M. Savard, Rick Nash, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, B. Richards, Heatley, Spezza, Redden whom looked poised at one time were either injured or fell off the map.
- all ties to Ottawa and the South-East division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad