The Hockey Hall of Fame Adds Too Many Members Each Year

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
They usually take 4 players every year. This comes out to the 40 best players of the decade which would essentially be the top 23 forwards, top 14 defensemen, and top 3 goalies. This is too many and waters down The Hall. It would be better if they only took 3 players every year.

Discuss.

Without going into much detail, I completely agree. It's part of the reason why we have what we generally consider to be "weak inductions".

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They usually take 4 players every year. This comes out to the 40 best players of the decade which would essentially be the top 23 forwards, top 14 defensemen, and top 3 goalies. This is too many and waters down The Hall. It would be better if they only took 3 players every year.

Discuss.

It would be better if there wasn't a number quota and they just took the deserving players.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Having a quote is stupid anyway. Players should get in by merit and merit only - whether that means 0 inductees or 5 inductees in any given year.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Discuss.
Why not let them add an infinite amount per year and as low as zero. There are def years more than four deserve to go. On the years they are going back 30 years to get Nhl players just take none ( from the nhl do the same for the women / guys that were big in Europe )

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The hall in the 2000s:
Hockey Hall of Fame Inductees | Hockey-Reference.com

Elected 64 players in 18 year's, that 3.55 a year's already half way.

Of those 64 they had a soviet players lag to catch up too and female players has well,

54 (could have missed one, counted fast) players were indicted for their NHL career during those 18 year's, exactly 3 a year like you are arguing for.

IceyDice

Sep 16, 2012
The hall in the 2000s:
Hockey Hall of Fame Inductees | Hockey-Reference.com

Elected 64 players in 18 year's, that 3.55 a year's already half way.

Of those 64 they had a soviet players lag to catch up too and female players has well,

54 (could have missed one, counted fast) players were indicted for their NHL career during those 18 year's, exactly 3 a year like you are arguing for.

Now start counting from 2010.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Recently only one who was delayed by a year due to limits is Larionov. Mainly due to lockout 2003-04 ended up last season for many deserving HHOFers, and 2007 it was Messier, Francis, MacInnis and Stevens.

Oates was inducted few years later from the same eligibility group.

To be honest I'm mainly against of inducting four when there's not that many first-timers.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There are a lot of guys coming up soon that deserve to be in that could retire at the same time so I don't see the need to put a cap on it just don't always induct 3 - 4 nhl players if they don't deserve it

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Having a quote is stupid anyway. Players should get in by merit and merit only - whether that means 0 inductees or 5 inductees in any given year.
I like this better but they would never do it, it’s a yearly tradition now, and having a zero/1 year would mean they miss out on the night totally. It is in a way getting harder to get into as more teams get added means a smaller % players get in. And they are going to be adding more women and non nhl players as time goes on at a higher rate imo. When you look at it in theory it’s like the top .05% of players that make it so still very elite club.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I like this better but they would never do it, it’s a yearly tradition now, and having a zero/1 year would mean they miss out on the night totally. It is in a way getting harder to get into as more teams get added means a smaller % players get in. And they are going to be adding more women and non nhl players as time goes on at a higher rate imo. When you look at it in theory it’s like the top .05% of players that make it so still very elite club.
On the zero years they could induct goalies I'm sure there is a pretty decent backlog of guys that played net that are better than lots of the skaters at other positions

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Top 0.05% is 1 in 2000 players. I believe the induction rate is way higher than that.

IceyDice

Sep 16, 2012
There are a lot of guys coming up soon that deserve to be in that could retire at the same time so I don't see the need to put a cap on it just don't always induct 3 - 4 nhl players if they don't deserve it

I agree, it would be best if they just put in however many deserve it in a particular year. However, it can be difficult to define who "deserves it". At least with a cap there is some consistency.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I agree, it would be best if they just put in however many deserve it in a particular year. However, it can be difficult to define who "deserves it". At least with a cap there is some consistency.
Well you could just put in all the obvious guys like if malkin Crosby ovie iginla thornton karlsson and jagr somehow retired the same year you put them all in 'first ballot ' and then put in whatever cap number you want other years for the iffy guys

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
There have been 58 NHL players inducted in the past 20 years. That's 2.9 players per year. Not all that crazy. There have been 30 since 2010 which is 3.33 per year but on average it tends to be around 3 a year. Not every Hall of Fame has to be 1 or 2 players a year. At the end of the day, who really cares if it's 2, 3, or 4 players a year? Why does it bother people so much?

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
On the zero years they could induct goalies I'm sure there is a pretty decent backlog of guys that played net that are better than lots of the skaters at other positions
Then we have a thread about how they let to many goalies in and not enough players in a few years ^_^

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There should be a Hall of Fame of Hall of Fame. Where each year they choose select players from those already in the Hall of Fame to get to the "real elite" category. That way the original Hall of Fame will gradually turn into a Hall of Very Good.

Reactions: Steerpike

Jun 27, 2005

Discuss.

Who do you feel is in the hall that doesn't deserve it?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

Would have been nice if you would have done it yourself (I am not using some tricks to do it here)

It is 36 players, 28 for their NHL career in 8 year's, 3.5 a year, if I am not mistaken.

3 a year could have been ideal here, which would you remove Nieuwendyk, Ciccarelly, Andreychuck and maybe Housley that has only one top 3 Norris in is career?

3 NHLER a year would be a bit high imo over time, when looking at many draft you do not see 3 HOF.

For example:
2002 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Who from that draft outside Keith should get in, arguably no one else.

From this one ?:
2001 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Kovalchuck is a maybe really no one else.

I doubt there is so many draft with 5-6 HOF worthy to need 3 player,s a year on the long run. 2, 2.5 is probably quite enough.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad