The grittiest superstar ever

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Not gritty.
Bobby Clarke is probably the epitome of superstar grittiness.

I agree, Gordie Howe and Mark Messier were not particularly gritty.

Doug Gilmour was gritty, John Tonelli (though not a superstar) was pretty gritty. Peter Forsberg, quite gritty.

Most gritty players are non-stars.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You must be talking about Mark Howe.

Gordie Howe fractured JC Tremblay’s cheekbone because of something he had said to Gordie during a bridge game months earlier.

He wasn’t afraid to mix it up along the boards if required.

Gordie Howe was physical, intimidating, dirty. Not gritty.

Reactions: Voight

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I actually think Clarke may have been "grittier" than Lindros overall. His entire game was predicated on ridiculous over-the-top determination and grit.

Clark was not a superstar though. Edit :Oh, it's Clarke... My mistake

Since the 90s, when I started to pay close attention, lindros and Forsberg are the two names that come to mind right away.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Clark was not a superstar though. Edit :Oh, it's Clarke... My mistake

Since the 90s, when I started to pay close attention, lindros and Forsberg are the two names that come to mind right away.

Yeah I wasnt sure of that part since I wasnt alive in the 70s. Clarke is an icon in Philly and I know he was at least a STAR but was he a SUPERSTAR?

Lindros was for sure.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah I wasnt sure of that part since I wasnt alive in the 70s. Clarke is an icon in Philly and I know he was at least a STAR but was he a SUPERSTAR?

Lindros was for sure.

bobby clarke won three mvps, led the league in assists in back to back years, was runner up for the art ross twice, routinely finished in the top ten, and captained two cups. of course he was a superstar.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Lindros was for sure.

If Eric Lindros was a Superstar, then Bobby Clarke was a Super Super Superstar, or something to that effect.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
bobby clarke won three mvps, led the league in assists in back to back years, was runner up for the art ross twice, routinely finished in the top ten, and captained two cups. of course he was a superstar.

Oh I know his level of play was that of a superstar, trust me. I am a Flyers fan afterall lol. I just wasnt sure if the perception outside of Philly was that he was a superstar. Then again, there is a conversation to be had about perception vs reality when it comes to "superstar."

Reactions: MXD

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The dictionary defines gritty as having resolve or courage. So it's a personality thing.

My answer: No clue. I'm not friends with these guys.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Peter Forsberg
Owen Nolan
Eric Lindros
Kyle Wellwood
Maurice Richard
Larry Robinson

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
If you're a hockey fan, you should know what a gritty player is.

To me its a hustler, a player that doesn't know any other way to play but hard. Seems to be able to go beyond his own capabilities.

Howe was the very first name I thought of as well, so obviously “gritty” isn’t some universally agreed upon term like you might think it is.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
imo there are distinctions between gritty and scrappy and chippy and tough. i can't really articulate what they specifically, at least not without devoting a lot more thought to this, but when i think of gritty the first name that comes to mind, for whatever reason, is john tonelli. no, not a superstar. but what are the defining tonelli characteristics? hard to play against, unrelenting in his will to get the puck, will go anywhere and do anything to get it, will withstand anything to keep it. lives along the boards and in the corners, prefers to go a shorter distance through contact than a longer distance around it.

fwiw, when i think of scrappy i think theo fleury. when i think of chippy i think pat verbeek. when i think of tough, i think cam neely. and then there's a whole universe of other related adjectives: feisty, abrasive, tenacious, physical, heavy, truculent...

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad