The grittiest superstar ever

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
If you're a hockey fan, you should know what a gritty player is.

To me its a hustler, a player that doesn't know any other way to play but hard. Seems to be able to go beyond his own capabilities.
So, in other words, TALENTED players are disqualified? That explains your issue with Howe. The man was obviously supremely talented.

That's not how I would define "gritty" at all, but this is your party.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have heard these guys called gritty numerous times during their career:

Dino Ciccarelli
Mike Ricci
Theo Fleury
Wayne Simmonds

But in terms of superstars?

Since I started watching hockey:

Peter Forsberg.

He has gotten hit countless times and used his core strength to absorb hits until he busted a spleen. He went into corners and banged and scrambled around, over and through guys for the puck. Gutsy and gritty have been descriptors used often.

In history books: Gordie Howe. He is the model of perserverance and determination to grit his teeth and play through the roughest and messiest of situations.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Howe was the very first name I thought of as well, so obviously “gritty” isn’t some universally agreed upon term like you might think it is.

Fine. I stand corrected. Gritty is not universal.

Although I did say, "to me gritty is ….".

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Peter Forsberg.

He has gotten hit countless times and used his core strength to absorb hits until he busted a spleen. He went into corners and banged and scrambled around, over and through guys for the puck. Gutsy and gritty have been descriptors used often.

In history books: Gordie Howe. He is the model of perserverance and determination to grit his teeth and play through the roughest and messiest of situations.

To me, Gordie Howe was the guy creating the roughest and messiest situations, not the one playing through them.

Maybe Ted Lindsay fits that bill better.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
To me, Gordie Howe was the guy creating the roughest and messiest situations, not the one playing through them.
Howe didn't try to look for trouble like Terrible Ted. Gordie liked to play a clean game. He was no pest. He elbowed to give himself space, he exacted revenge for dirty play against him and he went through two or three guys to get to the net. Guts and glory. A willful determination to deal with any opposition.

Reactions: Sentinel

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Howe didn't try to look for trouble like Terrible Ted. Gordie liked to play a clean game. He was no pest. He elbowed to give himself space, he exacted revenge for dirty play against him and he went through two or three guys to get to the net. Guts and glory. A willful determination to deal with any opposition.

Gordie had over 100 minutes in penalties 4 times. Three times in the top 8. Also led the playoffs in PIM once. I wouldn't say he played a clean game.

Reactions: authentic

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It was a rough era where he had to create space for himself.

Mr. Elbows did not take kindly to being hit and checked.

He was NOT dirty except for retalitory/revenge moves for specific slights.

Just read history books. Seriously. There is ton of ink on his game.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It would be a helluva coincidence if the all-time greatest players were also the grittiest.

Seems to me there are probably lesser talented players in the AHL or riding the bench in the NHL who are giving everything they've got while going up against bigger, stronger, and more talented players. They don't have the luxury of coasting for a shift and not being sent back down or demoted. If that's the case - that's gritty IMO.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Regular season CLARKE .ORR,Forsberg

playoffs Claude Lemieux over everyone

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mike Ricci definitely looked the "grittiest"

0219ac29d6fcc7657d54fa30c4164e4e.jpg

Yeah I wasnt sure of that part since I wasnt alive in the 70s. Clarke is an icon in Philly and I know he was at least a STAR but was he a SUPERSTAR?

Lindros was for sure.

He is probably the best player of the 70s after Orr, Esposito and Lafleur (maybe Potvin too)

Reactions: VanIslander

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't get the Gilmour pick. What I repeatedly saw Gilmour do was engage in some scrappy play along the boards, and then make an angry-face to his opponent while skating away. I mean, I guess he was gritty in that he'd engage along the boards, but once it got physical he pretty much hopped away, rabbit-like.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Clarke
Lindsay
Ciccarelli
Forsberg
Gilmour

Lindros and Messier were flatout different animals.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
It was a rough era where he had to create space for himself.

Mr. Elbows did not take kindly to being hit and checked.

He was NOT dirty except for retalitory/revenge moves for specific slights.

Just read history books. Seriously. There is ton of ink on his game.

I remember reading an account from Esposito about the first time he played against Gordie in the NHL. They lined up for a faceoff on the wing, the puck dropped, and Gordie dropped Phil with an elbow to the head.

If you seriously think Howes elbows were never used as an offensive weapon, youre nuts

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Makarov is even more confusing

Lol my thoughts exactly. Crosby was an extremely gritty player, but most gritty of all time? Of course not. Makarov though? I don't really see how he was anywhere close to as gritty as Crosby. I would go with Forsberg, Trottier and Messier for forwards and Pronger, Robinson and Chelios for defense. I was going to say Stevens or Lindros but if we're talking every aspect of grit instead of a cheat code demolition man type of hitter than those are my choices. Actually come to think of it, Lindros is still arguably the most gritty overall, but he's not my #1 choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->