The grittiest superstar ever

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What do we mean by grittiest? Playing style or physical look (kinda like how if you’re watching “Young Guns” you might think someone needs to take a bar of soap to Dermot Mulroney)?

Well, it's what people mean, when they say about players, that they are gritty...

To me, it's about a playing style, that takes a lot of hard work on forchecking, defense, fighting for the puck along the boards etc.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Lindros I guess. Howe is the best player who was gritty but from my understanding and viewing he knew when to pick his spots more so than he engaged all the time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I actually think Clarke may have been "grittier" than Lindros overall. His entire game was predicated on ridiculous over-the-top determination and grit.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
"Gritty" is either often-misused or has multiple meanings that have nothing to do with one another. A perimeter player who doesn't really do boardwork might fight, slash people or throw big bodychecks. Is that "gritty?" I would say no, but some would say yes. Another player might block shots, specialize in board play and battle for position in traffic all day long, but never drop the gloves and rarely commit infractions at all. Is that player "gritty?" If "yes," the two players are almost opposites, so what use is a term that can describe two contradictory play styles?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Clarke was gritty.

Howe was not.

You must be talking about Mark Howe.

Gordie Howe fractured JC Tremblay’s cheekbone because of something he had said to Gordie during a bridge game months earlier.

He wasn’t afraid to mix it up along the boards if required.

Last edited:

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
"Gritty" is either often-misused or has multiple meanings that have nothing to do with one another. A perimeter player who doesn't really do boardwork might fight, slash people or throw big bodychecks. Is that "gritty?" I would say no, but some would say yes. Another player might block shots, specialize in board play and battle for position in traffic all day long, but never drop the gloves and rarely commit infractions at all. Is that player "gritty?" If "yes," the two players are almost opposites, so what use is a term that can describe two contradictory play styles?
Fighting and hitting are not among the most important elements of gritty play, although gritty players might do these things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad