Value of: The Great Shea Weber

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
Is this realistic:

Puljujarvi + Russell for Weber

Weber salary would be offset by Russell. Does anyone have to add?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not talking about what Mark Streit achieved previously. What he was at the time.

Pittsburgh loved him enough to dress him in 3 games. He wasn't even .5 pt/game with the Flyers and was -10.

Ceci so far is .5 pt/game and +3 playing beside Rielly in a top 4 role. He's young and a right shot D. Easily gets a 3rd-4th rounder every day of the week.

Cool. Trade him for a 3rd-4th rounder.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not talking about what Mark Streit achieved previously. What he was at the time.

Pittsburgh loved him enough to dress him in 3 games. He wasn't even .5 pt/game with the Flyers and was -10.

Ceci so far is .5 pt/game and +3 playing beside Rielly in a top 4 role. He's young and a right shot D. Easily gets a 3rd-4th rounder every day of the week.

If you say so.

If he was worth a 3rd round draft pick today the Maple Leafs would be fools to not flip him for 3rd right now.

You're serious deluded if you think Cody Ceci has any kind fo value at all.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
The same applies to literally every player I mentioned above. Pretty sure I was told that Zaitsev was never going to be moved as well. We can revisit if Ceci is moved later in the year :)

Bookmark his response because 100% ceci will get a 4th lol....

Polak got two seconds...

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Well.. with the Habs. Mete can skate... Weber can score. -- Oh wait, Mete scored his first last night!

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
I cannot imagine that's a basis for a trade that Montreal would consider.

If your goal is to dump an aging player who is deteriorating rapidly then I can see them taking any offer they can get. I am not sure there is a market for Weber given his contract and age.

I also don't see Bergevin ever trading Weber simply because he views it as his signature move and thinks Weber is a unicorn.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
If your goal is to dump an aging player who is deteriorating rapidly then I can see them taking any offer they can get. I am not sure there is a market for Weber given his contract and age.

I also don't see Bergevin ever trading Weber simply because he views it as his signature move and thinks Weber is a unicorn.

He waived his ntc to facilitate the trade, so I believe he could in theory be exposed for the expansion draft. I could see Seattle taking him as a whale. Ensures they get to the cap floor, they get an established leader to help them in their first year or two.

Failing that, I believe Nashville comes calling to reacquire him at some point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is this realistic:

Puljujarvi + Russell for Weber

Weber salary would be offset by Russell. Does anyone have to add?

Why would the Habs do this? We are not dumping Weber cause he sucks. The only way we trade Weber is we get fair value in return and we are open to trading him cause his window of 4 years don't really fit the Habs window.

If you want Weber, you need to package up a good futures package. Puljujarvi as the main piece won't work.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

The goal is not to "dump an aging player who is deteriorating rapidly".

1) Outside of a slow start this season (and he hasn't even been bad in every game this season), his decline has been much more gradual. here isn't any real evidence to suggest he's "deteriorating rapidly".

2) Montreal doesn't need to dump him. They have one of the lowest caps in the NHL with some of the highest spending potential.

3) Weber's contract isn't much of concern long-term to Montreal. They don't have to worry about cap recapture and have no problem cutting vets if they aren't cutting it. If Weber gets to the point where he's not playing well and earning near league minimum, I doubt he'd want to be in the NHL.

I also very much doubt Bergevin is the only GM that gets enamoured by players like Weber.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nashville should be very worried about him retiring before the end of the contract.

Agreed. Some people think the league will make an exception but pretty sure the Canucks would speak out as well as several other teams. Canucks are on the hook for Luongo... $3M of cap space for 3 years.

Weber's contract is designed for him to retire after his age 36 or 37 season. If it's after his age 37 season, that's $8M for 3 years against the Preds.

Maybe all teams vote on this to reduce it to some degree but a lot of teams will say screw you! We played by the rules and listen to the warnings Bettman was giving on the cap circumventing contracts. Preds are victims cause the Flyers signed that contract but at the end of the day, they benefited from paying someone high with a lesser cap hit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Weber is not off to a good start but it's a bit early to say he is deteriorating rapidly. He got a freak shot to his foot and played under the pain before he was shut down. When he came back, he was very effective last season.

He needs to have one full bad season before you can say he is a problem. Did you know that his age 30+ stats are very close to being on par with his career stats? Go check out his pt/game and goals/game ratios (before and after 30).

He's going to the normal decline that all players go through in as they approach their mid 30's. It's normal to expect up and down fluctuations

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If you say so.

If he was worth a 3rd round draft pick today the Maple Leafs would be fools to not flip him for 3rd right now.

You're serious deluded if you think Cody Ceci has any kind fo value at all.

Or you could try to put some effort into your argument, I provided 1 example without any research at all. You're offering a (poor) opinion and little understanding of the Leafs blueline.

Bookmark his response because 100% ceci will get a 4th lol....

Polak got two seconds...

There are plenty of examples out there if people care to look, unfortunately he's being lazy so because of that I am deluded lol.

Ceci sticks around most likely as our defense is awful but if things go poorly or they need to switch things around, teams will inquire on Ceci.

Reactions: Eye Test

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Or you could try to put some effort into your argument, I provided 1 example without any research at all. You're offering a (poor) opinion and little understanding of the Leafs blueline.

Saying Cody Ceci is awful is a poor opinion?

As for understanding the Leafs blue line I think I have a very good understanding of it. I've been saying for three years if they spent resources to shore up their blue line by adding defenseman that actually play defence the team could be a contender.

However, for three off-seasons in a row, the General Manager has done absolutely nothing to make it better and this summer he inexplicably made it even softer and weaker defensively.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Weber just needs less minutes per game. He can’t commit to 25+ mins per game anymore, especially with Mete as his partner.

At 23 mins he gives you full value. Still a beast in his own zone.

I don’t see him regressing at a rapid rate like other older D. Weber’s game is not built on speed. Its built on positioning, hockey iq and strength.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Saying Cody Ceci is awful is a poor opinion?

As for understanding the Leafs blue line I think I have a very good understanding of it. I've been saying for three years if they spent resources to shore up their blue line by adding defenseman that actually play defence the team could be a contender.

However, for three off-seasons in a row, the General Manager has done absolutely nothing to make it better and this summer he inexplicably made it even softer and weaker defensively.

Saying Ceci wouldn't fetch a 3rd or a 4th is a poor opinion based on historical evidence that suggests otherwise.

I also actually agree with you that the defense is poor, so poor that the Leafs can't even afford to part with Ceci right now.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don't think Weber gets traded from Montreal. He may be declining a bit and will continue to decline over the course of his contract, but there are still some intangibles in his game that make him important to the Habs. It would have to be a pretty tempting offer for Bergevin to move him. I would probably go for some of the offers in this thread, but I'm not sure Bergevin would.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
7.86 cap hit till the end of 2025-26 (7 seasons, including this one)

Actual salary per year: (Age to start season in brackets)

19-20 - 6.0 (34)
20-21 - 6.0 (35)
21-22 - 6.0 (36)
22-23 - 3.0 (37)
23-24 - 1.0 (38)
24-25 - 1.0 (39)
25-26 - 1.0 (40)

As much as HF wants to believe it, Weber will not play out his final 3 years of his contract at 1.0 per year after making 120 million over the course of his career.

So you're looking at a below average 1st pairing guy, or good second pairing guy for the next 4 seasons at a 7.86 cap hit.

I brought up Weber’s contract as being a negative in a thread this morning but when you actually look at it, it isn’t near as bad as it appears as long as he can manage not to decline out of a top 4 role. It really is just three more years after this and we won’t have to worry about recapture the way Nashville does when he does retire once the $1 million pay cheque’s start coming yearly.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Saying Ceci wouldn't fetch a 3rd or a 4th is a poor opinion based on historical evidence that suggests otherwise.

I think comparing Cody Ceci to a guy like Mark Streit, even an over-the-hill Mark Streit is completely disingenuous. It's not remotely surprising a team was willing to roll the dice on Streit, a guy with a long history as an excellent puck mover and a guy that could be plugged into the second power play unit. Even at the end of his career, he was a skilled player who looked like he might be a fit with the Penguins.

Cody Ceci has no such track record and now aspects of his game that would be attractive to teams looking to add at the deadline. The guy is lousy. The guy has always been lousy. If the Maple Leafs could find a taker, they should jump on it because as bad as their blueline is, it would be better without him.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I brought up Weber’s contract as being a negative in a thread this morning but when you actually look at it, it isn’t near as bad as it appears as long as he can manage not to decline out of a top 4 role. It really is just three more years after this and we won’t have to worry about recapture the way Nashville does when he does retire once the $1 million pay cheque’s start coming yearly.
I don't know how many times I tried saying this over the past few years. We essentially traded 6 years of Subban under contract for 6 years of Weber. The end of his contact was never our concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad