The Great Michal Kempny Debate (& other ex-Hawks) Volume 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think most people agreed Danault would be a useful player one day. The timeline didn't line up. If they were trying to win-now in 2016, Danault wasn't going to help them win-now. He was going to help them win in 2019, which they were willing to sell on to try and win in 2016.

If the team philosophy as a whole was different at that time, and they were willing to just sit back and wait, then we probably still have Danault, Teuvo, and don't have Seabrook on the books.

But again, people would have *****ed about 'wasting' Kane's Hart performance and Crawford's performance, and how if they were that hot heading into the playoffs surely they would win, yada yada
I dont get this take
...he was good on the 3rd line at that current time. I dont know how well totally stats wise it was working but for a bit the odd line of Desjardins-danault-Teuvo was hot and good. Keeping him was better than what hurt the teams depth in that present. I'm not even sure who else played center in those playoffs besides the obvious 3... I guess Shaw was back at 3rd line center? That would of been better off with Danualt and no Weise/Fleisch.

The other buy moves weren't so bad for immediate need. It also just mixed oddly done with the timing. Ladder got added just as Shaw was starting to work well with Toews and Hossa making the roster moves odd. Panik hit his groove showing should play every game just as they add the 2 wingers for danualt.

That trade is easily Stans worst. It hurt them in every possible way. Hurt their team then, future, made the Kruger scenario paying him be/seem much worse, and still had that future draft pick loss.

Reactions: BobbyJet

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It doesn't help Weise and Fleischmann (who were decent in MTL) played like dogsh** for us.

Weise was looking like a really good 3rd liner, kinda like Shaw.. but his career literally went downhill after that.

Have to be honest too, they had to try to defend their championship. I don’t mind those moves, it was just apparent early after and in the playoffs it wouldn’t be enough. Nobody’s at fault for trying.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont get this take
...he was good on the 3rd line at that current time. I dont know how well totally stats wise it was working but for a bit the odd line of Desjardins-danault-Teuvo was hot and good. Keeping him was better than what hurt the teams depth in that present. I'm not even sure who else played center in those playoffs besides the obvious 3... I guess Shaw was back at 3rd line center? That would of been better off with Danualt and no Weise/Fleisch.

The other buy moves weren't so bad for immediate need. It also just mixed oddly done with the timing. Ladder got added just as Shaw was starting to work well with Toews and Hossa making the roster moves odd. Panik hit his groove showing should play every game just as they add the 2 wingers for danualt.

That trade is easily Stans worst. It hurt them in every possible way. Hurt their team then, future, made the Kruger scenario paying him be/seem much worse, and still had that future draft pick loss.

Stats-wise he was fine, but not great, and that was with sheltered minutes vs the tough competition he gets now. He's matured a lot as a player, he's basically a completely different guy as far as impact on the team. It just took him another 3 years to get to the point he would have been really useful.

As far as the 3rd line, it wasn't really good, because it never stayed together. Part of the reason the 2016 team was a one line team (in addition to Toews not being great or having consistent linemates) was that the bottom 6 was in a constant state of flux. Danault played almost as many games as a winger as he did a center, as many games on the 4th line as he did the 3rd, just like Teuvo (though Teuvo also got bounced into the top 6 on his wrong-side several times too). Part of that is Q being Q, part of that is that the bottom 6, Danault included, was never particularly effective. Chicken-or-the-egg argument as far as which caused which.

If Danault comes into the lineup, takes the 3C position and keeps it, I doubt he gets moved. But that didn't happen, and it's understandable, cause he was a kid that needed a few more years at the NHL level to hit his potential. The Blackhawks just weren't willing to wait that amount of time because they wanted help immediately to try and win now. Same deal with moving Teuvo to move the Bickell contract. If they just accept, yeah, we're gonna take a step back for a year, such a mindset would have been 'keep the kids, let the older declining dman walk, we'll fill in the gaps and be back in a couple seasons'.... but that wasn't the mindset. The mindset was 'sell the future and try to win as many cups as possible right now, odds be damned'.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Have to be honest too, they had to try to defend their championship. I don’t mind those moves, it was just apparent early after and in the playoffs it wouldn’t be enough. Nobody’s at fault for trying.
They lost by 1 goal in game 7 to an eventual conference finalist that year. The team was plenty good but ran into one of the best teams in the league in the first round and Troy Brouwer of all people scored the series clincher. Shit happens sometimes, especially in sports.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They lost by 1 goal in game 7 to an eventual conference finalist that year. The team was plenty good but ran into one of the best teams in the league in the first round and Troy Brouwer of all people scored the series clincher. **** happens sometimes, especially in sports.

Yeah, that Seabrook post shot, could have been a different story. For me, the downfall was Ladd falling off a cliff. He was the MVP of Winnipeg up until the exact time of the trade, guess injuries caught up, shit happens.

I’ll always remember late in the series, in St.Louis, Q gives him a tap, like, it’s time, and he finishes the period playing dominate fast paced physical hockey.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yeah, that Seabrook post shot, could have been a different story. For me, the downfall was Ladd falling off a cliff. He was the MVP of Winnipeg up until the exact time of the trade, guess injuries caught up, **** happens.

Ladd had a higher PPG as a Blackhawk than he did as a Jet in 2016 (.54 vs .63). He wasn't that great in Winnipeg either.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nick Leddy was just featured on NHL Network - man has he come along big time this year...he is physical, takes the body more, thinks defense first and still has offensive output as well..he is their clear #1 dman right now and who would have thought him capable of such solid two way play just last year?? good for him, seems he is finally getting it.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nick Leddy was just featured on NHL Network - man has he come along big time this year...he is physical, takes the body more, thinks defense first and still has offensive output as well..he is their clear #1 dman right now and who would have thought him capable of such solid two way play just last year?? good for him, seems he is finally getting it.

The Trotz factor?

Reactions: AmericanDream

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Stats-wise he was fine, but not great, and that was with sheltered minutes vs the tough competition he gets now. He's matured a lot as a player, he's basically a completely different guy as far as impact on the team. It just took him another 3 years to get to the point he would have been really useful.

As far as the 3rd line, it wasn't really good, because it never stayed together. Part of the reason the 2016 team was a one line team (in addition to Toews not being great or having consistent linemates) was that the bottom 6 was in a constant state of flux. Danault played almost as many games as a winger as he did a center, as many games on the 4th line as he did the 3rd, just like Teuvo (though Teuvo also got bounced into the top 6 on his wrong-side several times too). Part of that is Q being Q, part of that is that the bottom 6, Danault included, was never particularly effective. Chicken-or-the-egg argument as far as which caused which.

If Danault comes into the lineup, takes the 3C position and keeps it, I doubt he gets moved. But that didn't happen, and it's understandable, cause he was a kid that needed a few more years at the NHL level to hit his potential. The Blackhawks just weren't willing to wait that amount of time because they wanted help immediately to try and win now. Same deal with moving Teuvo to move the Bickell contract. If they just accept, yeah, we're gonna take a step back for a year, such a mindset would have been 'keep the kids, let the older declining dman walk, we'll fill in the gaps and be back in a couple seasons'.... but that wasn't the mindset. The mindset was 'sell the future and try to win as many cups as possible right now, odds be damned'.

What are you even talking about? Danault was good third/4th line player the year he was traded, he immediately became an excellent third line center the year after. And now he is playing lights out. The moment he was let go the team never looked the same, not sure what you keep going on and on about. He was getting paid very little and still is till now, he would have been huge help the year he left and ALL the years after. The players Stan brought back for him were junk, Anothrr huge blunder in Stan’s book that people keep making excuses about, let’s drop the act already. Danault, Johns, TT, Panarin were all HUGE mistakes and it was easy to see from day 1.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Might want to watch Isles more because its Pulock who is guy that is clear #1

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What are you even talking about? Danault was good third/4th line player the year he was traded, he immediately became an excellent third line center the year after. And now he is playing lights out. The moment he was let go the team never looked the same, not sure what you keep going on and on about. He was getting paid very little and still is till now, he would have been huge help the year he left and ALL the years after. The players Stan brought back for him were junk, Anothrr huge blunder in Stan’s book that people keep making excuses about, let’s drop the act already. Danault, Johns, TT, Panarin were all HUGE mistakes and it was easy to see from day 1.

Like Stan, his love for Kruger clouds his senses. Back then it was so obvious that Danault was the better player and was versatile to boot. He plays up and down the line-up in Montreal when asked to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawks

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
He wasn't with us for very long but Anders Nilsson is playing some pretty good net of late for Ottawa. Facing 40 + shots a night and has a .948 sv% and 2.0 GA in the last 5 games ( that with the one loss to Pittsburgh with 5 GA ) I always thought the Hawks should have held onto him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Odd putting Johns in there with the others. That guy literally has done nothing to be upset over losing him. He's a guy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have said this before and I will say it again, I don't think people realize how far back Kevin Hayes not signing here set us back. He literally for a 4 year span would have been our top prospect, and IF he did sign with us, do we even go out and get Anisimov? When we move out Bickell, we could have moved Hayes or Tevo knowing we had the other one still here..Hayes signing here would literally have changed so much for us overall that we might not even had gotten Brad Richards or even traded away our 1st for Vermette...I would take Hayes back in a heartbeat this offseason, but man just imagine if this kid didn't bolt from us and how our forward group would have been different!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I have said this before and I will say it again, I don't think people realize how far back Kevin Hayes not signing here set us back. He literally for a 4 year span would have been our top prospect, and IF he did sign with us, do we even go out and get Anisimov? When we move out Bickell, we could have moved Hayes or Tevo knowing we had the other one still here..Hayes signing here would literally have changed so much for us overall that we might not even had gotten Brad Richards or even traded away our 1st for Vermette...I would take Hayes back in a heartbeat this offseason, but man just imagine if this kid didn't bolt from us and how our forward group would have been different!
Fu(k him!

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
You guys remember when we couldn’t wait to see Garret Ross and Mark McNeill in Hawks jerseys? Ah, to be young and naive again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad