The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Saad for Knight is such an easy trade to make. Doesn't even matter if Knight is another 2 years away from playing in the NHL. That's your franchise goalie of the future right there. Meanwhile Saad is an expiring UFA and likely not apart of the future.

Florida would be so stupid to do that trade.
Not really....they're stuck with Bobrovsky for another 6 years. Might be the only contract worse than Seabs.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
What really set him apart was he scored like a good 2C in the playoffs while filling a checking line role.

I don't think he every really played like a 2C outside of a couple windows. I think the goal was to have him fill both roles but it didn't work out too well. He had really good wings with him in Chicago too.

In 2010, he was making 5.9% of the cap and he missed more than half the year. Also part of the reason they couldn't secure home ice throughout.
11', mistake keeping him (but glad Bowman didn't take my calls or 13 might not have happened). Part of the reason they burned out and barely made the playoffs (thanks to Dallas) Started in huge hole that Van series. Sure, made a dramatic return, but I would have taken more regular season games to get a matchup against ANA, SJ, or NAS in the first round.

12' everyone was bad against AZ. Irrelevant when it mattered.
13' he was very limited. Very expensive luxury and he missed several games that run as well.

Maybe they don't win without him in 10' and 13' maybe they do. He was fun to have but I don't think he did as much to help the club as most discussions would have us believe he did. Plenty of good teams had a shutdown line of forwards able to replicate his results against top lines.

I just think he was overrated considerably. Like Buff, I can call them overrated and still be glad they were a part of the teams.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't think he every really played like a 2C outside of a couple windows. I think the goal was to have him fill both roles but it didn't work out too well. He had really good wings with him in Chicago too.

In 2010, he was making 5.9% of the cap and he missed more than half the year. Also part of the reason they couldn't secure home ice throughout.
11', mistake keeping him (but glad Bowman didn't take my calls or 13 might not have happened). Part of the reason they burned out and barely made the playoffs (thanks to Dallas) Started in huge hole that Van series. Sure, made a dramatic return, but I would have taken more regular season games to get a matchup against ANA, SJ, or NAS in the first round.

12' everyone was bad against AZ. Irrelevant when it mattered.
13' he was very limited. Very expensive luxury and he missed several games that run as well.

Maybe they don't win without him in 10' and 13' maybe they do. He was fun to have but I don't think he did as much to help the club as most discussions would have us believe he did. Plenty of good teams had a shutdown line of forwards able to replicate his results against top lines.

I just think he was overrated considerably. Like Buff, I can call them overrated and still be glad they were a part of the teams.

Exactly.

I think, like Buff, he’s a guy who’s cumulative impact was overrated as a result of a few big, easily identifiable iconic moments.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Sedins had 11 points in 6 games in 2009, 10 points in 6 games in 2010. They weren't really 'shut down'. Were they annoyed? Absolutely. Did they take stupid penalties that led to goals against? Definitely. Could they have scored even more if Bolland wasn't checking them? Possible but not proveable.

I can look up the underlying numbers if you like, but generally speaking checking centers are typically underwater in possession. That's the job.

Bolland's shutdown impact was felt much more in the Sharks series, where he kept Joe Thornton to 1 point over 4 games.

In any case, if you're giving Bolland 5 million a year based on something he did in 2010, you're an idiot. Anybody watching the Blackhawks in 2013 could see Bolland was barely keeping up and basically held together with ductape.
In 2009
D Sedin had 5pts in 6 GP, 3PP pts. So 2pts in 6GP 5 on 5.
H Sedin had 6pts in 6GP, 3PP pts. So 3pts in 6GP 5 on 5.

In 2010
D Sedin had 4pts in 6 GP, 2PP pts. So 2pts in 6GP 5 on 5.

In 2011
D Sedin had 5pts in the first 3GP (2PP pts) (No Bolland)
H Sedin had 4pts in the first 3GP (1PP pt) (No Bolland)

D Sedin had 2pts in 4GP vs. Bolland (1PP pt)
H Sedin had 1pt in 4GP vs. Bolland (0 PP pts)

So, The Sedins, in 16GP, had a combined 13pts in 16GP 5 on 5 with Bolland in the lineup. I didn't bother going too deep figuring out if Bolland was even on the ice for some of those points the Sedins got while he was playing.

You are just wrong.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
In 2009
D Sedin had 5pts in 6 GP, 3PP pts. So 2pts in 6GP 5 on 5.

In 2010
D Sedin had 4pts in 6 GP, 2PP pts. So 2pts in 6GP 5 on 5.

In 2011
D Sedin had 5pts in the first 3GP (2PP pts) (No Bolland)
H Sedin had 4pts in the first 3GP (1PP pt) (No Bolland)

D Sedin had 2pts in 4GP vs. Bolland (1PP pt)
H Sedin had 1pt in 4GP vs. Bolland (0 PP pts)

So, The Sedins, in 16GP, had a combined 13pts in 16GP 5 on 5 with Bolland in the lineup. I didn't bother going too deep figuring out if Bolland was even on the ice for some of those points the Sedins got while he was playing.

You are just wrong.

And we didn't need stats to confirm that Bolland thoroughly frustrated the Sedins; just needed to watch the games. :)

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Watching the Avs/AZ game on the web. Not sure who these guys are but they are giving Oesterle raving reviews in these playoffs so far.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Watching the Avs/AZ game on the web. Not sure who these guys are but they are giving Oesterle raving reviews in these playoffs so far.

I have only watched a few of his games but he has looked solid to me. Dmen develop so randomly if this is what is happening with him.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He's been a solid piece the entire time since the trade. Got a lot less angry bemoaning than Hino though and really just helped Gus and other players slip in instead.

He's just steady and a great skater so he's fit in as a good minutes taker

Reactions: Muffinalt

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Panarin-Danault-Teravainen
Duclair-Schmaltz-Kahun
Panik-Anisimov-Hinostroza
Hartman-Nordstrom-Weise
Motte

Leddy-Hjalmarsson
Kempny-Gustafsson
TVR-Jokijarju
Oesterle-Dahlstrom
Johns

Lehner
Raanta

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
looks like gus is playing about 15:30 to 16 min per game instead of the 22min or so he was playing on the hawks. i havnt watched close enough but is it helping his game? i always imagined thats about where he should be.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I've said this before but I'll say it again, Nordstrom has come a long way since his Chicago days. He's a solid 4th liner who can be physical and plays his role well. He showed hints of that here but he looks so much stronger now.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And yet people still complained Q favored vets specifically being mad at when Nordstrom played over Morin... and Nordstrom was younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad