The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah I wasn't really commenting on the merits of the trade. I understand what Stan was trying to do there.

I was more reacting to the idea that Murphy is the type of guy we need going forward. I like his reasonable cap hit and he's signed for a year longer than I originally thought. I thought he would slot cleanly into the top 4 when we got him, but Q didn't want him there for whatever reason and he's felt like more of a 4/5 since then when I had hoped he'd become a 2/3. Maybe my expectations were too high.

It is laughable at best to say Murphy is a # 5D. Murphy if is a good #3/4D.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
On a contender he’s a 5-6 and this team needs to be a contender

I think he's a #4 on a legitimate contender, personally.

I think they hoped he'd round into a #3, but he's 27 now and I'm not confident he's going to get much better. Paired with a good PMD, he'd be a nice SAH or safety-valve type dman on a good 2nd pair. Not somebody that would carry a 2nd pair, but not somebody that would weigh it down.

In short, I think he can play up to the guy you put him with, to a 2nd pairing ceiling. The Blackhawks just don't have many of those guys right now.

This is not true at all. On a contender, he is a #4. He is just as talented/skilled as Johnny Oduya.

I think he has the tools to be as good as Oduya performed. But to date, he hasn't performed to that level.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think he's a #4 on a legitimate contender, personally.

I think they hoped he'd round into a #3, but he's 27 now and I'm not confident he's going to get much better. Paired with a good PMD, he'd be a nice SAH or safety-valve type dman on a good 2nd pair. Not somebody that would carry a 2nd pair, but not somebody that would weigh it down.

In short, I think he can play up to the guy you put him with, to a 2nd pairing ceiling. The Blackhawks just don't have many of those guys right now.

I think he has the tools to be as good as Oduya performed. But to date, he hasn't performed to that level.

He has the tools to be better. Murphy has not had the benefit of Hammer.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He has the tools to be better. Murphy has not had the benefit of Hammer.

That's true. As I said in my post, I think he's a guy that can play up to a great partner.

But let's not forget that Oduya helped Hammer a lot too. 2012 was not a kind year for Hammer until Oduya showed up. That season, he could basically be seen blindly back-handing the puck up the wall every shift.

I think a lot of people undervalue Oduya (not necessarily you, just in general) at his best.

Reactions: SnakePlissken

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's true. As I said in my post, I think he's a guy that can play up to a great partner.

But let's not forget that Oduya helped Hammer a lot too. 2012 was not a kind year for Hammer until Oduya showed up. That season, he could basically be seen blindly back-handing the puck up the wall every shift.

I think a lot of people undervalue Oduya (not necessarily you, just in general) at his best.

Oduya was always undervalued.

I agree that Murphy can play up and that is a skill that not everyone has.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
It is laughable at best to say Murphy is a # 5D. Murphy if is a good #3/4D.

You're right that he's been getting top 4 ice time and I was stretching negative to say 4/5. I do agree with JD that he seems to be more 4 than 3, and it's quite possible I'd like him more with a solid, consistent partner. It feels like the D has been patchwork the entire time he's been here.

Reactions: BK

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Haha. Murphy has been a better player than Hammer. This trade was a win.

Love Hammer but it was the right time to trade him.

Murphy is a good dman and the type of player we need going forward.

Yes, I'm amazed there is even a debate about it. Hjalmarsson's decline was well underway, that was a very good trade for Chicago.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
You're right that he's been getting top 4 ice time and I was stretching negative to say 4/5. I do agree with JD that he seems to be more 4 than 3, and it's quite possible I'd like him more with a solid, consistent partner. It feels like the D has been patchwork the entire time he's been here.
Hjalmarsson had 3 of the 4 lines pretty much set in front of him for most of his time in Chicago too. 12' being about the only exception. Give any defenseman that kind of consistency, paired with a vet goalie and they're going to look much bettter than in the current Hawks' situation.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Steve Sullivan is the interim GM for Yotes with Chayka departure

Would be nice to see Sullivan as permanent GM

How long has he been in the Assistant GM there? I am seeing that he joined as a Developmental Coach in September of 2014 so I wonder if he has enough front office experience.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Personally I would like 4-5 years of working in the FO.

I think he means that Sullivan has been with the Coyotes for over 3 years.

Crazy, I know, but May 2017 was over 3 years ago.

Reactions: Crow

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think he means that Sullivan has been with the Coyotes for over 3 years.

Crazy, I know, but May 2017 was over 3 years ago.

Yes he was but part of that time is as a developmental coach.

I am simply stating I want 4-5 years of FO experience minimum.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Watched the last bit of the Florida-Tampa game and Q looked so pissed. I fully expect the whole team was called 'ordinary' and 'just ok'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad