The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019

His incompetence was just.... wow.

Search for 'Tallon' in the linked article to skip the Canucks/playoffs content and go straight to the break down of his failures.

Marchessault trade was made in era of computer boys BUT WAS TALLON trade, was it just because it's bad. Smells a rat.

I don't want him back here, please.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That article is clearly a hit piece

The disparaging of Dave Bolland with regard to Sedins is absurdly false

All of us who watched Bolland saw first hand his effect on Sedins especially in 2011 series

Bolland deal was bad deal and had far too much risk and Dale deserves the flak for giving him that but they can do that without rewriting history and trashing Bolland and what he did

Reactions: Giovi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Marchessault trade was made in era of computer boys BUT WAS TALLON trade, was it just because it's bad. Smells a rat.

I don't want him back here, please.
No it wasn't

Tallon was in charge of the expansion draft. He was put back fully in charge in that April.

He used Marchessault to get rid of Reilly and protected Pysk and Petrovic. The only excuse is he was apparently ordered to cut costs which he could of some other ways, but again why are they demanding cuts the years after okaying several big salary additions?

I recall thinking of the Bolland deal as part of needing to hit cap floors anyway and all.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I actually think the Rielly Smith + Marchessault trade is the worst trade I have ever seen. I can't find a single possible reason for it.

I guess cutting costs, fine. But even then it's just stupid.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Knight isn't NHL ready yet though. So we're going to need a bridge starter until he is. Is that Crawford? Or somebody else?

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Bet Q would push for Saad for Knight.

that would be a terrible idea. Unless they decide that they are going full rebuild.

Also, Q probably gets a say but it’s analytics FO now in Florida.

KK might be of interest since he’s a stat guy along with the good last round. You might be able to sell high on him.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
that would be a terrible idea. Unless they decide that they are going full rebuild.

Also, Q probably gets a say but it’s analytics FO now in Florida.

KK might be of interest since he’s a stat guy along with the good last round. You might be able to sell high on him.

Analytics wouldn't be the reason Saad is turned down. His underlying numbers have been excellent.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Analytics wouldn't be the reason Saad is turned down. His underlying numbers have been excellent.

agreed but for the blackhawks that specifically is a bad deal as they are not in a full rebuild and they really don’t have a saad like player anywhere on the roster or system at this point.

Connolly would be a good target as he’s probably a tad overpaid for what Florida wants at 3.5 mill for a couple years but he’s basically a finished version of probably what Nylander we hope is going to be(15-25 goals, 35-50 points)

Reactions: JaegerDice

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Saad for Knight is such an easy trade to make. Doesn't even matter if Knight is another 2 years away from playing in the NHL. That's your franchise goalie of the future right there. Meanwhile Saad is an expiring UFA and likely not apart of the future.

Florida would be so stupid to do that trade.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

All of us who watched Bolland saw first hand his effect on Sedins especially in 2011 series

Bolland deal was bad deal and had far too much risk and Dale deserves the flak for giving him that but they can do that without rewriting history and trashing Bolland and what he did

Bolland's results were replicated by other teams...and he couldn't be relied upon to stay health. Murphy and DeHaan are lower risk. He's not Buff level of unicorn legend, but it was close. Obviously a good player when healthy, I just thought he was drastically overvalued defensively relative to other shutdown type of centers.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

He may very well believe this. And if he does, I have no problem with it. Kuemper has been EXCELLENT.

That said, I imagine every damn hockey player claims their goalie at the time is the best goalie they've ever played with or 'as good as any goalie I've ever played with'.

That's not a knock on him, that's just hockey culture.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Bolland's results were replicated by other teams...and he couldn't be relied upon to stay health. Murphy and DeHaan are lower risk. He's not Buff level of unicorn legend, but it was close. Obviously a good player when healthy, I just thought he was drastically overvalued defensively relative to other shutdown type of centers.
What really set him apart was he scored like a good 2C in the playoffs while filling a checking line role.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

The Sedins had 11 points in 6 games in 2009, 10 points in 6 games in 2010. They weren't really 'shut down'. Were they annoyed? Absolutely. Did they take stupid penalties that led to goals against? Definitely. Could they have scored even more if Bolland wasn't checking them? Possible but not proveable.

I can look up the underlying numbers if you like, but generally speaking checking centers are typically underwater in possession. That's the job.

Bolland's shutdown impact was felt much more in the Sharks series, where he kept Joe Thornton to 1 point over 4 games.

In any case, if you're giving Bolland 5 million a year based on something he did in 2010, you're an idiot. Anybody watching the Blackhawks in 2013 could see Bolland was barely keeping up and basically held together with ductape.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClydeLee

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He may very well believe this. And if he does, I have no problem with it. Kuemper has been EXCELLENT.

That said, I imagine every damn hockey player claims their goalie at the time is the best goalie they've ever played with or 'as good as any goalie I've ever played with'.

That's not a knock on him, that's just hockey culture.

It's surprising considering he played with prime Lundqvist in Sweden at the Olympics. I would've thought that was the best goalie he's ever played with unless he meant just the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad