The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I was chirping you a bit because you tend to use hindsight a lot to justify your views. No need to get all hot and bothered.

That’s fine but it isn’t hindsight if I am just recounting my thoughts from when the events happened. Not everyone is going to see things the same way.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Vermette was a huge help, and obviously only possible because of the injury... But he was also scratched 3 times in the playoffs, so I'm not going to put nearly as much weight into this being some miracle run as you are.

Miracle or not, there was no reason to believe the Hawks were going to enter the playoffs with a team that good again. That’s my point. And after the season, they got worse with the trades they made despite bringing in Panarin. They had become more dependent on elite
goaltending by that point. There wasn’t a lot of promising talent in the system. The core had always talked about how the 1st round exits gave them time to rejuvenate and they were coming off 3 short summers in a row. These were the indications they were going to take a step back.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What???? Is this a joke? Lmao.

Also, imagine calling a team with 4 top pairing defenders and three first lines simply "solid"... The Hawks had a #1 defenseman playing as a forward, for ****'s sake....

Those teams were legendary, much more than solid.

Q justified his scratch of Vermette and Teuvo in the cup finals as needing "fresh legs".

Ah. Yeah, always hated Q’s lineup decisions in the playoffs. Those 2 were ridiculous.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Lotties

Nov 17, 2019
It's taken 13 games for Richard Panik to get on the score sheet for Washington Capitals.

What a serious disappointment he has been since the 16/17 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad