GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Royal Flushed(Caps-Sabres Game #1) 1.14.2021

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The top line was the best line. They had the scoring chances and produced. Didn't dominate like we'd like, but they still had the results. Eichel and Hall that is. Thompson does not have the talent to be playing with those two
The top line got outplayed big time. Eichel had a garbage game, dragging ass and not hounding plays. Hall on the other hand was a bright spot. He skated hard and created a lot of chances with slick passes. I have no problem moving Thompson off that line but if we are critiquing the line's performance you gotta call out Eichel and the line as a whole.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
To torture us

Like, there's just really no hope for him ever being good. Can't be fixed. Such a low IQ...day late and a dollar short every play. Much could be said about the entire defense tonight. I was hoping for any kind of defensive upgrade and maybe a goaltender this off-season. I just don't get it. Same players, same results. Any Sabres fan could've told them that.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The top line was the best line. They had the scoring chances and produced. Didn't dominate like we'd like, but they still had the results. Eichel and Hall that is. Thompson does not have the talent to be playing with those two

Perhaps but I seriously doubt Ralph is going change that line up no matter who on this Board says he should.

Heck, the guy won't make line adjustments between periods......

I have to admit that I don't understand Ralph's thinking on putting Tage on that line. I suspect it might have something to do with his shot and release (which is wicked but not Olofsson snipe quality) and his size (which he then needs to put to best use - like in front of the net). He didn't play badly. So I'm gonna wait a bit before passing judgement.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Holy lord.

to look that lost, that disinterested, with no semblance of an offensive plan and zero cohesion on defense....I can’t grasp it. Top to bottom. You’d think the effort would be maxed out, considering where they left off and when.

Even guys that played in the playoffs, it should have been better than that.

Dahlin was f***ing terrible. Reinhart nowhere to be found. Hutton is an awful goaltender.

Second to every loose puck, nobody hungry.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
B: Their sloppiness and lack of energy resembled a team playing their second game in two nights.

U: They have to play their second game in two nights tomorrow.

Reactions: Chainshot

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Good: Hall, Cozens, Rieden, Thompson
Fair: McCabe, Eichel, Olofsson, Dahlin, Svearna, Lazar, Skinner
Bad: Staal, Eakin, Defensive team play over all, Goaltending

The rest were invisible to me.

Reactions: sabremike

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
G: Hall looked good
Ullmark didn't let any in
McCabe with the Gordie
Olofsson can still bring the heat
Reider- I hated the signing it this guy plays like it's his last shift
The term "thicc boi"
B: Samsonov did not look good and we couldn't muster shots
Dowd hit
Our defense has no idea what they are doing
People sucking air and not moving
U: Chara
Our goaltending
Our inability to address glaring concerns in the off-season
Eichel and Dahlin skating in fudge
The fact that we have world class strength and conditioning coaches, facilities and the chance to get guys some games in Europe and the team looks like they haven't played in ten years.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
That's about as bad a game as you can have on defense and they were still in it at the end

I'm expecting lots of games like this. Letting in lots of goals because their defense and goaltending is trash, but staying in games because they have a lot of offensive ability.

There was one point tonight where Rob was talking about how they can't afford to open up the game and play a back and forth game with Washington because the Caps are good at it. I think that's flat out wrong. The only chance this team is going to have in winning games is by putting in a ton of goals. The Sabres are going to get scored on regardless of what gamplan they have, so you might as well go as ham as you can on offense.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
G:
  • Taylor Hall is a Buffalo Sabre
B:
  • Team looked so sluggish/sloppy/unprepared. They need to get up to game speed quick.
  • That Staal turnover. Oof. Sabres probably at least send that game to OT if not for that.
U:
  • Nick Dowd

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
We need a better netminder then Hutton badly. Fleury should be targeted immediately.

I think Cozens had a very good game in regards to the entire Sabre lineup. For a 19 year old he played a good overall game and made good decisions both with and without the puck more often then not. Execution was a little off at times but his IQ and overall game has me very excited for the future with him. Risto was decent overall, the D in general was not good especially Montour but Risto even though he had a few moments overall he was acceptable. He played well enough where he should be a #3 on a top contender. Montour was the worst and should definitely be off the team for next year, hopefully Samuelsson is ready for a top 6 role by opening night 2021-2022.

Skinner needs to be paired with Jack. Totally idiotic not to. And also Washington was real dirty and cheap you can tell Laviolette is the coach there, they played just like the Canes did in 06 and like then also got away with numerous infractions.

Overall tonight was not as bad as it could have been. First game for the team in 10 months. Their conditioning and intensity was poor. Super sloppy play. Our best player had one of his worst games since 2018 and still was on the scoresheet. Hutton was Hutton just trash.

All things considered with literally half of the top 6 brand new (Tage, Hall and Staal) and more then half the top 9 brand new with no pre season or actual games in 10 months against an elite team who had more intensity and better conditioned we definitely look better overall even though we still have garbage Hutton. We almost came back from 3 down to earn a point even with our best player having one of his worst games in his last 100 played.

The offense definitely looks like they will be at the 3+ gpg mark I predicted for them before the season. If Adams can get us a clear upgrade on Hutton before the 1/4 mark I can see us fighting for the DIV4 spot. The offense looks playoff worthy. The defense did not though the goaltending did NOTHING to help them.

I think Adams has to be proactive and aggressive in season to fight for the playoffs and avoid having our superstar demand a trade. I think even if we fall short of the playoffs but are still alive past the 50 game mark I think Jack will give us another chance since this is not a true season and his leverage is minimal with half a decade left on his deal in the summer. Adams should definitely have prospects not named Peterka, Quinn, and Johnson all available in trades and every pick save the 1st unless there are top 5 protection conditions on it and/or it is for an impact player under the age of 26. We need a goalie badly instead of Hutton. We need a better dman/dmen then Montour and/or McCabe. There are definitely upgrades that can be acquired for 2nds/3rds and guys like Mittelstadt/Asplund/Thompson.

Oh and even if they did not really mesh in game 1 having Taylor Hall on the ice for us was an incredible sight. He truly is a superstar caliber talent. He may not have the monster numbers but if you win a Hart and take a team like the Devils to the playoffs with almost minimal help you are a superstar. I don't buy that only McDavid, Kucherov, Crosby, Kane, Ovy and Mack are the only superstars. In my eyes a top 15-20 player/talent is a super star. Winning major trophies/40+ goals or 90+ points/carrying teams and visible high end talent make you a superstar. In the NFL our Bills have 2 arguably 3 superstars in Allen (top 3 QB present and future), Diggs (receiving champion and top 3 at his position) and arguably Tre White (top e at his position) I really want Hall long term and even if it takes a 6 year deal where years 5-6 may be a little painful, his elite talent and production are worth the possible issues at the tail end of the contract to lock up one of the games best forwards even if he is turning 30. Hall will be ppg+ this year and for at least 3 more seasons. I have no issue with a 6/50 contract when he will put up 250 points the first half of it even if he only puts up 180 the last half of it. You don't let elite talent go, especially when you acquire it for absolutely zero assets aside from a free agent contract. And I think having him and Jack on seperate lines is more beneficial.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’ll provide more in depth reasoning tomorrow; on mobile now. Grades are based on expected play/talent level

Team Grade D+

Excel: (A+ to B+)
Sheanan - B+
Hall - A-

Pass: (B to C-)
Reinhart - C+
Thompson - C+
Reider - B
Cozens - C
Eakin - C

Fail: (D+ to F)
Eichel - D-
Dahlin - F
Risto - D-
McCabe - D-
Miller - D
Hutton - F
Staal - F
Joker - D-
Montour - D-
Lazar - D
Skinner - D
Oloffson - F

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I'm expecting lots of games like this. Letting in lots of goals because their defense and goaltending is trash, but staying in games because they have a lot of offensive ability.

There was one point tonight where Rob was talking about how they can't afford to open up the game and play a back and forth game with Washington because the Caps are good at it. I think that's flat out wrong. The only chance this team is going to have in winning games is by putting in a ton of goals. The Sabres are going to get scored on regardless of what gamplan they have, so you might as well go as ham as you can on offense.

Ray was punched a few too many times in the head

Our ONLY chance is to win track meets

Reactions: Eichel9

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
We need a better netminder then Hutton badly. Fleury should be targeted immediately.

Adams should definitely have prospects not named Peterka, Quinn, and Johnson all available in trades

That's the same exact line of thinking the Sabres have employed and it has failed. Sometimes, you have to trade your top prospects to obtain true difference makers. The other prospects will get you slightly more than a moldy prison sandwich, not going to help the team

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
I think eichel hurt his ankle again. I don't know could be fatigue, but the fact that he got injured and won't specify what he hurt is kind of suss.

But i'll remand positive give the team a couple more games to shake off some rust and re=evaluate from there.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think eichel hurt his ankle again. I don't know could be fatigue, but the fact that he got injured and won't specify what he hurt is kind of suss.

But i'll remand positive give the team a couple more games to shake off some rust and re=evaluate from there.
I thought it was upper body

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Good:
We scored some goals and made a fight of it in the 3rd
Hall - 1g 1a and made some nice plays throughout the game
Skinner - what did this man ever do to get in Kreugers dog house? He had a solid game playing with nobody linemates in not a lot of minutes

Bad:
Eichel - he had the puck on his stick a lot throughout the game. I'm pretty sure all of those possessions ended in turnovers
Dahlin - did he forget how to skate and play defense during the extended offseason?
Hutton - I don't think he was awful this game, but he did let in a softie, and another that was borderline. I think the average NHL goaltender allows 4 goals this game instead of the 5 allowed by Hutton
Tage - why on earth was he on the 1st line? Can't fault his effort, but he just wasn't very good tonight

Ugly:
Staals turnover
Dowd hit on Staal. I can't believe they didn't upgrade that to a 5 minute penalty (is that rule no longer in place?). I think he probably deserves a 1-2 game suspension for that hit
Defensive breakdowns - how many times have we given teams amazing scoring chances through unforced errors the last couple of years? The trend continues....

tunaboy

Dec 22, 2016
i have been a buffalo fan for 40 yrs and i love my sabres but jesus dont like the way this team is coached if any ...goaltending will kill us again this year so i am so frustrating ..urgency is now get a goalie to give us a chance to win please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad