GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Royal Flushed(Caps-Sabres Game #1) 1.14.2021

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Does Skinner's success reinforce his spot on the 4th line or beg that he be moved up?

Tage was not a man amongst boys.

So much for the improved PK!!!

We were actually a Staal squib away from being in that game. Some legs throughout could have kept us from playing catch up.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
U: I tuned out half way through the 2nd and was fine with that choice. Felt no need to circle back. I predict this feeling to recur this season.

Reactions: oldgoalie

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’ll provide more in depth reasoning tomorrow; on mobile now. Grades are based on expected play/talent level

Team Grade D+

Excel: (A+ to B+)
Sheanan B+ : Solid PK work when he was on the ice. Felt he really was skating well. Not many opportunities on the ice, but I liked what he did with the ones he had
Hall A- : Best player on the ice. Could see the chemistry forming with Jack, which if Jack gets back up to his normal self, could be deadly.

Pass: (B to C-)
Reinhart C+ : Pretty average game from Sam, had a couple of nice passes, and support for his defenseman. Soft on the puck in the beginning, but got better as the game went on. Bad pass around the boards to Eichel that led to the goal against.
Thompson C+ : His reach and stick broke up and disrupted many passing attempts from Washington and was the key play for many of the opportunities from his line. Got confident with the puck as the game went on. Slow and bad decision making still is a big issue in his game.
Reider B : Played exactly his game, nice game from him.
Cozens C : Loved the puck pursuit and willingness to go anywhere. LOVED that Chara broke his stick on Cozens. Other than that, he was having a tough time in areas where rookies tend to have issues. The strength of the players at the NHL level, and the speed they make decisions and the limited space, caused Cozens to falter as he had trouble getting body positioning and fighting is way through bodies especially along the boards.
Eakin C : He played, he didn't make any plays that were of note whether positive or negative.

Fail: (D+ to F)
Eichel D- : Outside a few nice passes that led to goals, his game was probably the worst game of his career. 1 SOG is not good enough, tons of drive-bys, poor decision making with the puck. just didn't look engaged in the play.
Dahlin F : Easily his worst game of his career. ZERO explosiveness in his game, trouble skating, and his decision making with and without the puck was poor. 4 SOG, but none of them were dangerous.
Risto D- : Slow decision making, for being a big body, poor clearing of the area in front of the net. He had a few nice plays on the PP to keep the play alive.
McCabe D- : Outside the goal and the fight, he was pretty much invisible to me. His play in his end leaves a lot to be desired.
Miller D : One nice offensive play that led to a dangerous chance, but poor in his own end.
Hutton F : Got to make saves; A lot of chances were because of the guys not doing their job well, but the Oshie PP, you can't be falling backwards onto your butt, you need to be strong in your positioning and stance.
Staal F : Doesn't look to have it based on this game. He looked like Moulson too many times. Horrible giveaway led directly to a goal.
Joker D- : Downright bad. Bad plays all around the ice.
Montour D- : Poor defensive play in his zone. questionable play in all 3 zones without the puck.
Lazar D : Did nothing, and I don't think he made it a shift where he wasn't knocked down, or fell down.
Skinner D : Did some things, but overall, like Lazar, not sure if he made it a shift where he didn't call down. Not sure if it was the new skates, but he looked extra sloppy, and the ratness/diving really came through, and not in a positive way.
Oloffson F : If his wrist isn't feeling good enough then he needs to sit. Let Quinn take his icetime. At least you can get some sort of information with Quinn at 5 on 5. Oloffson was useless on the ice, even with his PP goal.

All these are my opinions. I'm aware others may have guys with better grades, and that's fine.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Oh, one last bad...

An entire page or two of the GDT was filled with complaints about Risto after this play:

Really, this was Risto's fault? :huh:

To further point out how quick many are to beat up Risto (and McCabe for that matter) without looking at how they did.

They were great in their minutes last night

CF% —-> 59%
SCF% —>88% (7 for/1 against)
HDCF% -> 100% (3 for/0 against)
GF% ——> 100% (2 for/0 against)
xGF% —-> 72%

Thats a pretty awesome game from that pairing.

But Risto gets stuck on the ice for that really crappy sequence from Montour you posted. So he gets piled on. Its kind of ridiculous.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Its was a bit odd that all three of the 5v5 goal against were during defensive pairs changing.

Risto/Montour, McCabe/Joker and McCabe/Montour were the combos on for those goals. Leads me to believe forward turnovers were an issue keeping the d-pairs from completing changes.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
D-pairs ice time together

Dahlin/Montour —-> 16:13
Miller/Joker ———> 12:19
McCabe/Risto ——-> 12:10

McCabe/Risto would proably have been a little ahead of Miller/Joker if McCabe hadn’t been tossed. But not by much.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Watched the game, haven't read the GDT or the GBU, will read tonight before the rematch. My views:

Good:
>I tried to watch Cozens every shift he was on, especially away from the puck. I really liked what I saw, both on and away from the puck. I am very hopeful he will be the 200-foot player we both need and hoped for when we drafted him. In my view, if he plays every game like he did in his debut, he'll stay / stick.
>Both man-advantage goals, the PP and 6-on-5.
>I'm not a goatlender savant, but I couldn't fault Hutton on any of the WAS goals he was in net for.
>Hearing RJ's voice. And a few gaffes.
>Officiating.

Bad:
>Caps seemed to skate harder / faster / more cohesively to start the first period. Definitely took a while for BUF to get into gear, and IMO they never caught up, although the effort got better as the game progressed.
>Eichel both with and away from the puck for the first part of the game. Really wasn't noticeable until the 2-on-1 with Hall.

Ugly:
>The pre-game intros, etc. Fast-forwarded through those. Not compelling at all.
>No fans in the stands.
>Eichel's haircut.
>Staal was invisible, until he decided to change that in the most memorable way possible.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I was happy to see a forward in Taylor Hall that could keep stride with Eichel on that two on one. That was one of the highlights for me. As shaky as he was in his debut, Cozens showed some signs going down the stretch.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Its was a bit odd that all three of the 5v5 goal against were during defensive pairs changing.

Risto/Montour, McCabe/Joker and McCabe/Montour were the combos on for those goals. Leads me to believe forward turnovers were an issue keeping the d-pairs from completing changes.
There's a lack of familiarity between the D and forward lines.

Reactions: joshjull

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Pretty on point for my prediction this year. Offense will be better, defense is awful, goaltending is likely awful as well. Yay 2021.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
For the first time in a long time i think we have a Competitive bottoms six like actual role players not just Burn outs and ahl tweeners, Lil weird skinner there but whatever

Reactions: valet

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cozens didn’t look out of place at all to me. You could tell there were some nerves and he was focusing on keeping it simple, but he competed harder than just about anyone. I think he’s going to be here to stay.

Also was pleasantly surprised with Sheahan. He might end up being a nice pick up.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I see 2 major issues:
Conditioning - they're not game shape
Chemistry - they have almost none. The more skilled a player, the greater the role played by chemistry. The 3rd and 4th line guys play the same game, game in game out. Chemistry plays a part but it's not the reason they succeed or fail. For the skill guys it's huge. In addition to obvious physical advantages, being able to read the play and anticipate what your teammate will do is what separates them from the grinders. If that's lacking, the feet stop moving because the player is uncertain. The quick fix is to reunite players that have had success playing together. The Krueger fix will be to keep the lines together and hope they develop chemistry.

Reactions: K8fool

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Noticed something on Hall's goal. I think VO was intending to pass to Reinhart for the backdoor tap-in, but Hall jumped up and buried it.

Sam was waiting for the puck to come to him. Taylor doesn't wait, he makes it happen.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
To think that it'd be an exceptional feat and novelty for the Sabres to score 4 goals in one game and might even be a highlight of the season during the tank years.

The team is average. The goalie is far below. Only thing that determines playoffs or no imo

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
The goalie isn't the main reason the Caps scored 6 goals
I wouldn't say main reason but I think it's the main factor for playoffs, put a better goalie in last night just to take back one goal and it's a tied game. Goalies need to be able to bail you out and make those saves when you really need it. That's not been the case for awhile and it's obvious.

The Sabres would play completely differently and 1000% more elite if they knew in the back of their mind that one mistake wouldn't cost the game every time they try handling the puck.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't say main reason but I think it's the main factor for playoffs, put a better goalie in last night just to take back one goal and it's a tied game. Goalies need to be able to bail you out and make those saves when you really need it. That's not been the case for awhile and it's obvious.
Don't get me wrong, I have no faith in Hutton. I do like Ullmark but he isn't exactly a high end starter. But in terms of takeaways from last night the team defense was brutal. Turnovers, sloppy changes, bad coverage, lack of sustained possession. Hutton got hung out to dry.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Doug doesn't do Thursdays.
I was trying to remember last night which day it is he doesn't do the anthem. Still, I was thinking video anyhow since that's what the other singer did. I wanna see a bathrobed Doug belting one out in this driveway, pointing to his mailbox at the end.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad